Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2022, 06:40 PM   #21
Kenjt

Default Re: Car would not restart

Funny you should ask. The mechanic came by the other day to make try to figure out why the car died. I had it on a charger for several days but hadn't tried starting it. He got in and it started right up. We drove around for a while and then brought it back. The engine was off and so was the key. Suddenly the horn sounded a few times. Clearway there is a propblem with the main switch. We got it back to his shop and, hopefully, he'll figure it out and fix it. The electrical system is way beyond me.
Kenjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:29 PM   #22
Kenjt

AT LAST my car is starting and driving okay. My mechanic put in a new belt for the generator and a better bracket to hold it in place. He also found some electric issues and repaired them. The amp meter shows charging for a little while while driving and then goes to zero. The battery takes a charge overnight. The car still running a little rough but, I'm discovering the best place to move the spark control and throttle to keep it running well. Hopefully all repairs are done and I won't have to call my mechanic anytime soon.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:44 PM   #23
nkaminar

Good news Ken. The Model A is a reliable car if all the bugs are chased out. Enjoy your car.

I would be interested to know what "electrical issues" your mechanic found. Did he/she make a list of what they did?
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:46 AM   #24
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjt View Post
My mechanic put in a new belt for the generator and a better bracket to hold it in place.
Let's hope that he didn't overtightened the belt, it doesn't need to be very tight.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:40 AM   #25
Penguin

I had a similar problem with my 31 Tudor. I had replaced the head gasket, started her to let her warmup, then shut down and let her cool overnight so I could retorque the head. Did that the next day and started her up for a quick drive. I made it to the bottom of the driveway, and she stopped. I figured out I had no spark and could make no progress at the bottom of the driveway, so I got some friends to help get her back up the hill and into the garage.

Over the next few weeks I wiggled, tested or replaced everything under the hood with no success. I read an item, I believe it was on this site, about someone with a similar problem who had decided to replace every wire in the ignition system and that worked. I thought that was a little extreme as his car was fixed but he didn't know what was really wrong. I went ahead and ordered what wiring I hadn't replaced already and figured I'd change one at a time. The first wire I replaced was the armored cable from the switch to the distributor. (I do not have a popout so I use one of the fake replacements to make things under the hood look, more or less, authentic.) When I disconnected the cable from the distributor, I just happened to press the button at the distributor end. The button stuck up in the cable, the spring did not return it to the proper position. I had that cable disconnected several times and never noticed the problem. I replaced the cable, being sure to screw it in too far, and the car has been running fine ever since. I have added that check to my list of "this hasn't happened to me before." That list keeps getting longer and longer. I know this won't help now but maybe it will help someone in the future.
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:02 AM   #26
Kenjt

Just about everything in my car is now fixed!!! Only thing left is a few gaskets to stop small leaks and replace the gas gauge float. My car starts right up all the time and runs great! At last I'm back to where I was so many years ago with my last Model A. Thanks to all for your suggestions and help.