Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2021, 09:57 PM   #1
Brushwolf

Default 51 Victoria 3 piece rear glass install?

Finally got all the glass including the 3 piece 1951 Victoria back glass(es). Have done multiple searches and found nothing on installing these, nor for a 52 Victoria which has a similar design 3 piece back glass.

It has the stainless trim, plus the 3 pieces of glass (one flat and two curved end glasses and the compound gasket.

Do the windows all go in gasket at once, with stainless trim installed into gasket first like a 57 Ford or others like that?

Anyone who has installed these or similar multiple glasses with stainless as well, please toss out your experience or thoughts on doing this.

Thanks, Mike
Brushwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:03 PM   #2
lonewolf

Default Re: 51 Victoria 3 piece rear glass install?

I watched the glass guy install mine. He had all 3 pieces of glass installed in the rubber along with the trim. Sprayed soapy water on the rubber and roped it In as 1 piece. It was a 2 man operation. Hope this helps
lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:48 AM   #3
mrlaser

I did my install in 3 individual pieces. The center section first followed by the side windows. That is different than what was described in the accompanying instructions which recommended putting the three pieces in the rubber gasket prior to attempting installation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171213_105410.jpg (64.0 KB, 33 views)
mrlaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #4
mrlaser

The picture in my previous post shows the passenger side glass in place. Later this was removed and the center window put in place initially. I posted the picture from my phone and meant to show the center glass in place first. Once I saw it enlarged on my laptop, i realized that I uploaded the wrong picture. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:21 AM   #5
mrlaser

The finished product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0321201159a_HDR.jpg (77.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-01-2021, 10:30 AM   #6
tubman

^^^ The best lookin' "Shoebox Ford"; and "by accident" at that! ^^^
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:49 PM   #7
Brushwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
I watched the glass guy install mine. He had all 3 pieces of glass installed in the rubber along with the trim. Sprayed soapy water on the rubber and roped it In as 1 piece. It was a 2 man operation. Hope this helps
Yes ir does. Which trim pieces were in the gasket and which were installed afterward?

Thanks
Old 06-02-2021, 03:52 PM   #8
Brushwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlaser View Post
I did my install in 3 individual pieces. The center section first followed by the side windows. That is different than what was described in the accompanying instructions which recommended putting the three pieces in the rubber gasket prior to attempting installation.
Did you just put the vertical divider bar trim pieces in with the glass, or all the stainless trim went on after the glass was in?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2021, 12:12 PM   #9
mrlaser

The stainless perimeter pieces went on first, followed by the 2 vertical stainless pieces. The actual glass instillation was definitely a two person job. One on the inside pulling the cord to engage the rubber lip and another person outside pushing or bumping the glass itself. It actually went fairly smoothly once we started the process. I was pretty anxious prior to that I will admit.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:39 AM   #10
Brushwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlaser View Post
The stainless perimeter pieces went on first, followed by the 2 vertical stainless pieces. The actual glass instillation was definitely a two person job. One on the inside pulling the cord to engage the rubber lip and another person outside pushing or bumping the glass itself. It actually went fairly smoothly once we started the process. I was pretty anxious prior to that I will admit.
When the assembly was started to be put in place, was the top pushed on the lip first or the bottom set on the lower lip and then working around to the top?

Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:11 AM   #11
mrlaser

We did the bottom lip first then worked around to the top. The whole process of setting the glass took about 40-50 min. Putting all three pieces in the rubber made the whole structure somewhat unwieldly to handle. That's when we decided to try putting the center glass in the gasket, by itself, first. The side glass pieces went in with some flat handed "bumping".