Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2023, 05:33 PM   #1
RKS.PA

Default 1956 T Bird Fuel Pump 312 Y Block

Now that I've solved my ignition issues, I'm moving on to my next problem, an original double vacuum mechanical fuel pump. Seems like the rebuild kits don't exist and the the "new" Carter pumps made in China are junk. Despite Carter's warranty claims, the reviews are bad. I did see some pumps by Airtex, but those are out of stock.

Ideally, I'd like to rebuild mine if I could get the parts. Any experience here!!

Thanks...Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 05:55 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: 1956 T Bird Fuel Pump 312 Y Block

Airtex pumps are 'out of stock'? ... it's for the best. They're made in china and defective in the box.
Good rebuild kits are in very short supply (and pricey). I'm guessing they're bought up by the few remaining rebuild outfits. Here are a couple, there should be more.

https://vintageautopumps.parkerspackards.com/

https://www.then-now-auto.com/shop-2/
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:23 PM   #3
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Airtex pumps are 'out of stock'? ... it's for the best. They're made in china and defective in the box.
Good rebuild kits are in very short supply (and pricey). I'm guessing they're bought up by the few remaining rebuild outfits. Here are a couple, there should be more.

https://vintageautopumps.parkerspackards.com/

https://www.then-now-auto.com/shop-2/
Thanks for the links, dmsfrr, and your comments on the offshore garbage.

I'll call the two places in MA on Tuesday...guessing they might be closed on Monday....along with the banks and post office!!
Old 01-14-2023, 06:54 PM   #4
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
Now that I've solved my ignition issues, I'm moving on to my next problem, an original double vacuum mechanical fuel pump. Seems like the rebuild kits don't exist and the the "new" Carter pumps made in China are junk. Despite Carter's warranty claims, the reviews are bad. I did see some pumps by Airtex, but those are out of stock.

Ideally, I'd like to rebuild mine if I could get the parts. Any experience here!!

Thanks...Dick.
You can try to contact Charlie Schwendler. He does fuel pumps and is very good at what he does. Also does Holley 94's and Strombergs. He used to be a Ford Barn member (charlie ny), but not anymore.

He may even be nice enough to supply you with the parts and info to do it yourself.
Sal

Charlie Schwendler
(716) 662-9159
[email protected]
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 08:09 PM   #5
paul2748

Arthur Gould Rebuilders (MASS.) does a great job on fuel and water pumps. Did a couple for me and while I have not used one of them, the other is going great. He does not rebuild china pumps. However, Don Hyde, Texas (Ford Craft) fixes the and sell the Aitrex pumps. 972-432-34636
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:01 PM   #6
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
You can try to contact Charlie Schwendler. He does fuel pumps and is very good at what he does. Also does Holley 94's and Strombergs. He used to be a Ford Barn member (charlie ny), but not anymore.

He may even be nice enough to supply you with the parts and info to do it yourself.
Sal

Charlie Schwendler
(716) 662-9159
[email protected]
Hi, Sal,

Thanks, I did reach out to Charlie after you recommended him, but I've not heard back. Thinking that he and Alice might be off to warmer climes after Orchard Park got so hammered. He's did my '39 transmission years ago before I learned how to do it myself with Mac VP's book and parts, and about 3 flathead carbs for my '39 and later my '47, which I'm running now.

That Holley 4000 you did for me on this one couldn't be running better, we just need to get a more constant fuel feed to it under load!! Do not want to go full time electric.

Will try again to connect with Charlie.

My best to you and your family!!

Regards....Dick.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:52 PM   #7
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
Hi, Sal,

Thanks, I did reach out to Charlie after you recommended him, but I've not heard back. Thinking that he and Alice might be off to warmer climes after Orchard Park got so hammered. He's did my '39 transmission years ago before I learned how to do it myself with Mac VP's book and parts, and about 3 flathead carbs for my '39 and later my '47, which I'm running now.

That Holley 4000 you did for me on this one couldn't be running better, we just need to get a more constant fuel feed to it under load!! Do not want to go full time electric.

Will try again to connect with Charlie.

My best to you and your family!!

Regards....Dick.
I emailed back and forth with Charlie last week and he said Alice's health is failing, and not traveling anymore. Not sure if he's slacked off on his work load though. Pretty sure he's still in Orchard Park.

The best to you and your family too !

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote