Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Ross6860

Default 8BA Rods in a 59/59A

My car came with a donor motor. It's locked up and soaking for dis-assembly. Holes in three pistons on the same side of the motor.

I know it's a 59 block (cast bell-housing with the raised 59). I can see the rods are marked 8BA.

I'm pretty sure this is not stock. Anything to look out for?

It also has adjustable lifters and an aluminum cam gear. I know, just typical rebuild upgrades.

Nice thing is, the inside of the block, crank, rods and lifter valley look like no water or coolant got in. No signs of rust.

I plan on using this block, if it check out OK, as a base for a mild street motor for my '36.

Any suggestions from the learned masses?

Thanks in advance.

Never thought I would enjoy planning a whopping 175 hp (or less) build. Used to modern Fords (FEs and Clevelands).

I'm now hooked on flatheads...
Ross6860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: 8BA Rods in a 59/59A

I got a 175 hp out of a hydro engine, but I wouldn't want to drive it on the street. The 8BA rods will work on a 59 crank, but I don't recomend it as the erly crank has only one oil hole the 8BA crank had 2 one for each rod. They may have used ab *BA crank tho. I know a fellow that did this about 10 or 15 years ago nd the engine is still running.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Barlea

C59 blocks would likely have the crank with two oil holes drilled per throw, all engines listed in the Ford Canada '46 book had insert bearings except the 99A engine with the crank-mounted fan used in the Ford bus. ..B.
Barlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I got a 175 hp out of a hydro engine, but I wouldn't want to drive it on the street. The 8BA rods will work on a 59 crank, but I don't recomend it as the erly crank has only one oil hole the 8BA crank had 2 one for each rod. They may have used ab *BA crank tho. I know a fellow that did this about 10 or 15 years ago nd the engine is still running.
Hey Ron, I've run into 2-3 59ab engines in my life time with 8BA rods and only one oil hole in the crank, It's scarry to see it, but must of got enough oil to sadisfy those rod bearings. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
296 V8
BANNED

Why would anyone bother …. 8ba (3 ¾”) cranks are dime ah dozen
You all can come over and pick up the 5 or 6 here im never going to use.
296 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Ross6860

Quote:
Originally Posted by 296 V8 View Post
Why would anyone bother …. 8ba (3 ¾”) cranks are dime ah dozen
You all can come over and pick up the 5 or 6 here im never going to use.
Probably going to build a mild stroker of some kind.

Can you use 8BA rods with a stroker crank? Assuming someone makes pistons with the proper pin height? Heard stock rods are decent and not prone to breaking, but bend first...

Any experience with SCAT or other stroker kits? Or do you recommend finding a Merc crank?

Thks
Ross6860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
Fairlane500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross6860 View Post
Probably going to build a mild stroker of some kind.

Can you use 8BA rods with a stroker crank? Assuming someone makes pistons with the proper pin height? Heard stock rods are decent and not prone to breaking, but bend first...

Any experience with SCAT or other stroker kits? Or do you recommend finding a Merc crank?

Thks
Yes 8BA rods can be used on 8CM 4 inch stroke cranks. They use different pistons though, as the wrist pin is higher up the piston in a 4 "stroke engine
Old 08-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Ross F-1

My workshop manual says something to the effect that 8BA engines have a bigger oil pump than 59-series engines to account for the loss of oil from the squirter holes in the 8BA rods. Seems like that needs to be accounted for?
Old 08-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Ol' Ron

You've opened a can of worms here. You can buy everything you need with MONEY. I'm sure you can get a stroker crank with large rod journals, but why? Just to use the 8BA rods. Why not usr Scat rods on the smal journal rods and Buick rods or use 21A rods like everybody else and floating bearings. While you spending all that money go to a 4 1/2 in stroke. I ran into a 4 3/4 stroke crank today . Whatuou need is to look at what is avalable and how much you want to spend, There are several people that sell Balanced assys for a reasonable price. NO Guess work.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote