Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2020, 11:32 PM   #821
updraught

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

>following this years fire intensity gov will not be influenced by conservation radicals.

This is the Mornington Wilderness Camp in the Kimberley (a remote area for those from out of town).
https://www.thegibbriverroad.com/mor...ilderness_camp
About 10 years ago we visited after hearing about it from my sister who does cannon netting and banding of migratory birds, sometimes out from Broome.
http://www.broomebirdobservatory.com/the-migration
Some of these birds fly about 6000km over a few days to China, or further to Siberia.
Anyway, while there they gave a talk about how they had been trying to do a "controlled burn" throwing little burning golf ball things out of a plane. Much touted these days is the "controlled burn"...
Anyway, they consulted the best experts in the world, and tried and tried and every time it got out of control.
The last thing a conservation radical wants is a hot burn like has been happening now as it kills everything stone dead. For many many years.
The NSW fire chief was saying this morning that a few months ago they were the devil in disguise. They were trying to do hazard reduction burns and all these complaints came in about the smoke and lung problems etc. They can't all be conservation radicals. He also said that even areas that had been burnt in recent times, still have had fire rip through.

A couple of articles:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/07/aust...perts-say.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...olent-weather/

Plenty more to go, half way thru summer:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/resiz...QXJZ4TBNIA.jpg

Last edited by updraught; 01-10-2020 at 04:58 AM.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #822
woofa.express

The politics of fires.

The Welsh town of Aberfan was partly buried under a slip of slag from the nearby coal mine. 144 lives were lost, many were children in school. The Prime Minister at that time was Harold Wilson and it was pointed out to him the heavy rain that had caused this slip was not any of his doing and thus not political. Mr Wilson pointed out that everything is political. That was in 1966 which is some 54 years ago. It is not fiction and can be viewed on the excellent Netflix production of “the Crown”. Has anything changed?

We have had extensive fires in Australia. It’s so extensive it cannot be extinguished without good rain. More than 3,000 houses have been destroyed and what appears to be 30 deaths. Basically, it is because of an ongoing drought and thus the bush and undergrowth is tinder dry and also because there has been no or little fuel reduction burns in the winter.

The radical greens and lefties and climate change warriors are rallying against global warming and their numbers are exponentially expanding. And yes, this has turned political. They are blaming the prime minister for being responsible for global warming and these fires. They want to undermine him and weaken his party so as to enhance their preferred parties’ chances at the next election.

Large crowds are rioting in Tehran against the government for an unfortunate or even an incompetent error by the military for shooting an airliner and killing all on board. Again, political opportunism.

The British parliament was uncontrolled during Brexit. It was not a debate about Brexit but about weakening the prime minister and weaken his party. Again, the opposition thought it would enhance their electoral opportunity.

Do American readers believe undermining of the president is for electoral opportunity?

Politics is a very grubby business isn’t it.

The gathering of large numbers to rally. How do the organisers assemble such a large crowd and so rapidly? Social media of course. This broadcast both good news and bad. This has enormous influence particularly on young minds. Does social media benefit society? Or is it a determent? You be the judge.

Footnote. Since writing this story the east coast has had some good rain. Some fires extinguished and many now under control. Unfortunately, Victoria missed the rain and still have fires. Next story will be history of fires in Australia. You will see this current fire is not the most devastating. Again, it is political opportunism. In writing this I have kept politically neutral insofar as not biased to either side or party. The author, as in myself has worked as a fire bomber pilot for the fire authorities in 3 states.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-16-2020 at 11:01 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #823
katy

Right on Gary.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:30 PM   #824
woofa.express

This is a continuation from story 823 so do read that prior to reading this.

This follows my previous story. The demonstrations against governments or heads of governments. In Australia these demonstrations have been against the Prime Minister for having caused global warming. Almost hysterical particularly with the younger people. To some extent it has been fuelled of course by the Greta factor. I have read an article penned by Ray Payne OAM (order of Australia award) giving some historical facts and asking if man made practises are the reason for global warming. Mr Payne was a loss adjuster and advisor to the Insurance Council of Australia for 10 years and was heavily involved in the disastrous 1983 Victorian fire. Here is a brief summary of documented history of previous major Australian disasters.

1944 NSW Blue Mountains. 27 homes lost.
1962 62 lives lost.
1967 2,600 square kms burned in 5 hours.
1983 6,000 homes destroyed and 1983 75 lives lost.
2009 173 lives lost and 2030 homes destroyed

Mr Payne doesn’t say how many died in 1944 or homes lost in 1962. He does continue to speak of ignorance and incompetence. 80% of fires have been deliberately or accidently lighted. Lightning strikes have long being the cause of many and not new.

The current demonstrations have been promoted because of exaggeration even lies and bias by media particularly our government financed Australian Broadcasting Corp. (ABC) and one in particular newspaper brand. Promoted by radicals. Now how does one become a radical. They are people whose mental make-up is radical and motivate by any cause. They look for purpose. They are not people who have a strong belief of a cause and because of that they become radical. I hear it said that the global warming scare is leading us towards “globalisation”, that is the surrender of sovereign rights of governments to a global authority. Is this Kyoto or the UN or EU? Everybody wants to be boss don’t they?
I do believe global warming is occurring. Well why did the ice age end. Primitive tribes cooking on wood burning fires? No of course not. But with media reports and commentary being exaggerated or lied about or facts omitted it is understandable how myself and others are sceptical or mistrustful and unconvinced about it being caused by man made factors.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:33 AM   #825
woofa.express

Update on Australian Fires.

Much of eastern Australia has had good rain. We in the Riverina have had 1 and half inches generally wide spread. Some other areas have had considerably more. Some fires have been extinguished, mostly all subdued but will flare again if we get high winds and we have had that this evening where I live. The little town in NSW of Cobargo, west of Sydney received a visit from our Prime Minister and there was a revolt against him. This little town has 4 fire trucks but wants more. But it turns out that those protesting were not locals but radical globing warming warriors.
For those who believe these fires are a result of global warming I have compiled figures since records were kept. They are in 3 time periods.

1851 to 1950.
Deaths, 182.
Houses destroyed 4022.
Area burned 1,000,100 hectares or 2,500,250 acres.

1951 to 2000.
Deaths 221.
Houses destroyed 3,222,
Area burned 8357,360 or 20,893,400 acres.
Livestock lost 592,000.

2001 onwards.
Deaths 191.
Houses destroyed 2880.
Area burned 5,391,579 hectares or 13,478,947.

I have not listed the buildings lost and the report from which I acquired the above figures did not always include livestock lost.
Was our Prime Minister, who has been in office for 4 years responsible for global warming. If CO2 is responsible for global warming, Australia produces some 1.3% of world output. There is only 25 million of us. And what of those at Cobargo who protested. Well I guess all countries have scumbags.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:35 AM   #826
woofa.express

The countries most prone to fires are South East Australia, California and Spain,

Old 01-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #827
woofa.express

A sad day for families of 3 fire bombers who died in aircrash.

An American C130 or Hercules with 3 American crew on board has crashed and burned killing all 3. The tragedy happened in what is the Snowy Mountains south west of Sydney.
I am no longer involved with firebombing so what I report is simply what has been broadcast on the media. It seems possible they were caught in a blind gully.
The NSW fire department report there is still more than 60 fires burning across NSW and 17 still out of control. Maybe the remaining 43 present no potential problem. We have had good rain in many parts of the eastern states but some locations nil. High winds have been widespread and yesterday there were areas where total fire bans were still in place. The state of Victoria likewise are still experiencing some fires.
Unless there is something of significance this will be my last report or comments on fires.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:17 AM   #828
woofa.express

I have received communications from a reader who says I don't write a great deal of Model A's. Yes I ran short of A stories to tell so moved to aviation and there are many readers with an interest in that subject. Then I moved to all subjects. yes the reader is correct. I do however enjoy reading other stories including tech and mechanical questions and suggestions and I have found many informative. Here is a response to the critic and some of you may find this explanation of interest.

Hello Friend. Thankyou for your response. Please let me give you an explanation as to how I got to write these stories.
I grew up in a house hold where communication was not strong. At school I couldn’t pass the low grade exam for I failed a minimum pass of 30 for English. I find I cannot work for corporate operators for I have never been able to communicate sufficiently well and when misunderstandings or explanations were required I was poor at putting my view. Of more recent times I have started to feel I maybe a little dyslexic.
I have always enjoyed operating machinery and a single pilot cropduster both suited me and pleased me. I became good at it and dealing with farmers was both easy and enjoyable.
I have had a lifelong love of Model A’s and have owned my first for about 30 years. It was only about 2 years ago I discovered the Ford Barn and wrote a few stories in it, all about A’s. I enjoyed writing these stories. Unlike speaking I had time to compose and select words to suit my view or story. I also realised my long career had not been uneventful but varied and adventurous. In writing I found an enjoyable and somewhat challenging interest. Encouraged by reader responses I continued for what has been about 18 months now.
I am now 72 and my aviation career is shortly to end. I have owned some 15 aeroplanes, mostly cropdusters and recently sold my last aeroplane. What is exciting is that I own 3 Model A’s and 1 G.M. 1953 Holden (an Australian motor car). One for each of my kids. That was a mistake for they don’t have the interest in them. I learned one should cater for their wants and needs not what one thinks they should have.
So that’s the story. I have discovered a pastime that I find a little challenging but stimulating. I hope that provides a full explanation and I do realise you didn’t ask for one. I conclude by saying I have no resentment towards you for your comments and view. Cheers, Gary.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:58 PM   #829
woofa.express

Lamington gorge competition results in death of a 60 yo woman.

Today, Jan 26 is Australia day. Achievement awards are made for recognition of achievements and contributions made by many people throughout the nation. Celebrations and fun is happening everywhere. This includes nonsense including gorging competition and in this case lamingtons. Well one poor woman at Hervey Bay in Queensland chocked on one and died despite good efforts by by-standers and ambos to save her.

Why lamingtons? Because they are Australian and today being Australia day. And what is a lamington? It was an improvised small cake cut from a sponge, covered with chocolate and coconut. Instead of me telling of its origin I have copied and pasted from the internet here below.

This Australian culinary icon, which consists of sponge cake dipped in chocolate and liberally sprinkled with fine desiccated coconut, is believed to have been created through an accident at work by a maid-servant to Lord Lamington, the thoroughly-British eighth Governor of Queensland.

Now there’s some worthless information for you.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:08 AM   #830
woofa.express

Story number 829 was partly of my failings at school. I never got a grip on English and couldn’t see how anyone got pleasure from Shakespear or Oscar Wilde. School didn’t really serve me well and I never performed. I have to admit I was disruptive in class except for maths and geography. I was good at footy but never played another game after I had left school.

Myself, Paul and Eric were always at the bottom of the class in primary school.
I did okay when I left school, Paul went on to build multi story commercial and residential buildings and Eric was enterprising and successful in many ventures.
I once read a book written by a bloke named Stephan. He and his buddy, also Stephan were the dunces of the class. He became a wealthy man and qualified that by providing information which could be verified. The other dunce, the other Stephan went to movie directing. His surname is Spielberg. So school does little for some.
I have wondered why I stayed until I was 18 for it served no purpose. I have kept in touch with just a few teachers whom I admired and a few kids.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:23 PM   #831
woofa.express

40 yesterday and 44 forecast for next 2 days. Winter is not so badly is it. But when winter arrives I think summer isn't so badly. I can, we can, be difficult to please can't we?
40c=104f
44c=111f
there are many other places in Au and indeed the world that get hotter.
Living underground in Cooberpedy and White Cliffs is quite appealing isn't it? 24c (75f) all year, day and night.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:39 PM   #832
woofa.express

Well it's cooled off now. 31c (88f) and it feels better. however the sun is shortly to rise and the day will warm up again. I feel for the fire fighters working in this temp plus heat from the fires. Much of this could have been avoided with better management in the winter with prescription burns of undergrowth in the bush. Greens have resisted these burns and one of our political parties were unable to govern without them and they get awful dictatorial.

My thoughts are with these coal face fire fighters. There is at least 2 fire fighters who have lost their homes whilst helping others and several die including 3 aircrew.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:03 PM   #833
woofa.express

A Report on the Fires and Hopefully the Concluding Report

There has been rain across much of eastern Australia and some of southern Australia. The fires are now almost under control. However the rain on the eastern side of our “Great Dividing Range” has created very widespread flooding and much of Northern Australia has temps exceeding 100F and some 110F. Australia like America is a large area so climate conditions vary across the country.
I have been watching an Australian TV program on the fires. A factual report not one with producer’s licence. These extensive fires have been extensive with several hundred houses burned in smaller towns and communities. For farmers and graziers they have lost livestock and fences and houses and sheds. They are a hardy lot and say they will rebuild which may well take them years. The area taking perhaps the biggest toll is Kangaroo Island off the southern coast of South Australia. With a total area of a little over 4 million acres one third was burned.

Here it is.
2 dead. Pilot and doctor.
Livestock, a big variation. 100,000 sheep from 1 report and 53,000 sheep and cattle from another. This is a big variation and I don’t know why,
Miles of fencing. 56 homes and 256 outbuildings and 1 large resort.
45,000 acres of plantation timber from a total of 67,000 acres.
A large area of native timber and its native animals.

Right through southern Queensland, NSW, Vic and SA there is devastation. What surprises me is the resilience of people particularly farmers. Just hope it maintains 1, 2 or 3 years from now. It is very sad and watching this extensive report made me rather teary. You’d have to be moved.

And for the Australian readers this report is on Landline on the ABC.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:00 AM   #834
mercman from oz

The Australian Kangaroo.

I remember a green piece scare man speaking on the declining numbers of kangaroos claiming of the possibility of near extension. He had flown from Broken Hill to Sydney and not seen a single one. He went on to say we all should be alarmed. One of his audience asked did he see any sheep to which he answered no. The questioning gentleman pointed out to him we did have 180 million of them. Both drought and poor prices up to about 18 months ago saw numbers decline to less than 100 million at present.
When times are dry kangaroos graze on the road side because what little rain there is runs off the road into the table drain where green pick will grow. On a recent trip to Cobar there would have been more than 30 animals each mile. With livestock grazing and improved pastures and more water available their numbers have increased considerably. Some times to such great numbers they become a pest. Some people do make outrageous claims, they are always urban dwellers and sometimes overseas people.

Here is a picture of a couple, the buck on the left and a doe on the right. Sometimes called a Jack and a Jill. The doe has a pouch but it is unclear if she has a bubs ( a joey ) residing in it. I’ll get another picture of the numbers grazing on my friend’s lawn and a female with joey’s head outside the pouch. My dog Woofa enjoyed chasing them but was never able to catch one. A comfortable speed for them is about 15mph but can reach 40mph for short distances. Just look at their legs.

I’ll have my friend Trevor post this story because he is tech savvy and can expand the picture which is beyond the skills of this tech illiterate writer.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:12 AM   #835
woofa.express

Thanks Trevor for doing that.
More recent research gave the current sheep number as 64 million.
gary

Old 02-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #836
woofa.express

Today was judgement day.

It was late last year I was issued an infringement notice for a traffic offence. A speeding cop passed me and I put my hand out the window and wagged my index finger chastised her, the driver. Well I was issued this fine for putting part of my body outside the vehicle. The policewoman was predatory, authoritive, that is in your face and bossy and she was most unpleasant. The accompanioning male officer took a subordinate position.
We were all going to a traffic meeting at the local council. I was to represent the local member of parliament. Only 3 of us plus 4 shire representatives. The cops weren’t to expect my presents and here we are at a table facing each other about 4 feet away. A discussion followed after the meeting closed in which the female cop said some things she would not like repeated. Following this a received an email from the state M.P.’s legal director to say I was fired from representing the M.P. and when I was asked why she told me I didn’t represent the M.P.s views. Infact I hadn’t given any view at all, just agreed to the changes that had been requested. Those nasty cops obviously called to say I was unsuitable.
Well I elected to go to court and challenge it. This I did today. The magistrate twice said if I was to plead guilty he would give me a reduced penalty. I declined and insisted on pleading not guilty. This man turned out to be most reasonable with whom I could comfortably converse with. I was most vocal in reprimanding the policeman and I was reprimanded for that. (the offensive policewoman couldn’t make it due, we were told, because of a family illness). When he asked me, on 2 occasions why I was doing this I told him I wasn’t going to stand for thugs and bullies who where police. I expanded on this but I will cut to the chase.
I was found guilty of putting part of my body outside the vehicle but the magistrate would apply some remote law, number 11a, whatever that was and found me guilty but no fine, no court costs and no recorded judgement. The policeman was asked why was he had done this. It was a sort of a soft reprimand.
I was pleased I had insisted on “not guilty” especially because of the non authoritive manner of this magistrate. And of course I was pleased at his ruling.
There was an additional good news event. I had kept motorists free of this police officer for the day but I’ll need to tread carefully for a long time.
I have gone to court on 2 other charges. One on lighting up the levee bank as a fire reduction precaution prior to the fire season. Got a similar judgement passed against me. One other when the tax department charged me with tax fraud because I had not declared some stock on hand at the end of a financial year. Well I pleaded guilty to that. Who has sufficient recourses to fight the juga naught?

A footnote. About 18 months ago I wrote to the police area commander and told him that I and the other residents in our town were tired of being under constant surveillance by one of his police officers. They were the most despicable police in the police force I told him and suggested they remove the words “highway patrol” from their car and substitute it with “highway men”. The area commander and another drove to my home to do some P.R. on me. Today for the first time I saw highway patrol had been replaced with the single word “police”.

Both today and with the burning off as fire prevention I was commended for good character and thanked for my community service. I was confident in both of these 2 charges and being brutally honest did pay. I did acknowledge the magistrate when he said to take on the police would have been both trying and stressful. In eloquent words which I can’t recall he suggested at my age I might step back a little.

Old 02-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #837
woofa.express

The death of General Motors Holden.

William Holden was a saddle maker in South Australia in 1856 but in the early 1900’s became a body builder. In 1931 the American auto manufacturer G.M. bought the company which became known as General Motors Holden and an all Australian car was designed and manufactured. Whilst it was Australian designed the parent company had a substantial input. Production as an assembler ceased during the war years and the first fully Australian car was produced in 1948 and named the 48- 215 but commonly known as the FX. I have one with only 24 thousand miles in condition as it came off the assembly line. I really can’t warm to it because when I look at any Model A I instantly become besotted. But never the less it is an icon of Australian industry and sort after by enthusiasts. I do get many enquiries from would be buyers.
Like all Australian produced or assemblers have been heavily subsidised by the Australian tax payer. 2 billion in all it is claimed. Opinion is polarised, should subsidy be continued to maintain a manufacturing industry or would it be a waste of money. All auto manufacturers were heavily subsidised. I have no strong opinion either way. It is also said that union wage demands was a contributing factor. Of recent years our population has increased rapidly but even so is only 25 million so our market is small and the internet advises over 50 world motor car manufacturers sell their products in our small market.
Recently G.M. announced it was to cease all activity in Australia in 2021. This has caused considerable consternation. The motor car that for many years commanding 40% of the market fell to 15% in 1991 with Toyota dominating the market and today Mazda having to most popular single vehicle, the Mazda 3.

Here is a picture of the first and last models. I can’t show mine because my computers are in a mess. I have a new Apple and still learning to use it and at this moment can’t find my external hard disk where all my pictures are stored. The reason I changed was Microsoft had too many changes and the new programs are simply too complex.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:35 PM   #838
History

Woofa, the next time you see this "police woman", tell her your good friend in the USA said she should consider a career in the kitchen making sandwiches.

Some women are suited for these kinds of jobs but most are horrible at them with no common sense. They seem to have horrible attitudes thinking most think they should be in the kitchen. I don't think that at all until they act like the one you've met. When they act like that there's no question where they should be. I met one myself in the state of Tennessee years ago when I drove an eighteen wheeler. She worked at the scales and did an inspection of the truck I drove. It had a seal ozing grease on the rear differential, not dripping, ozing. It was Friday evening around 5 pm and there was a garage two miles away from the scales. She wouldn't let me go there I had to call a wrecker and have it done there, costing much more money. I politely argued with her asking for permission to go to the garage and she refused in a hateful way. She finally told me the best thing I could do was leave the room which I did. I've never been arrested for anything but I know I was coming close. I'll never forget that female dog who should have been in a kitchen making sandwiches.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:58 PM   #839
Synchro909

Gery, Re your charge about putting your hand outside the car, I'd ask the judge to define "outside". I'd argue that "outside" means beyond the curtilage of the vehicle. After all, the law is to prevent people from having body parts vulnerable to being hit by a passing car, roadside post etc. I haven't checked but I'd be surprised if the act define "outside". In a modern car, anything outside the window is beyond the curtilage but in a Model A, the hand is still within the curtilage, so the charge has no basis. Move to dismiss, your honour!!!
Old 02-23-2020, 01:44 AM   #840
woofa.express

This Follows comments by synchro below.

yes I did something like that. I pointed out, with the aid of a picture that I needed to extend my hand further when I adjusted the mirror on my Toyota tray and put my whole arm out in my vintage to indicate a turn. Policeman responded with there is provision for that in the traffic act. I asked if he felt putting part of body outside the capsule was dangerous and he responded with a yes. I then produced a picture of policeman on motor bike and said he had his whole body outside any capsule.

I also told both him and the magistrate after 52 years of cropspraying and firebombing that I had more skill than he, the policeman would have in acceleration and rate of closure and inertia than he would ever have. Yes I have done firebombing in the past. It always attracts admiration and in this case sympathy especially now in view of the publicity fire fighters have enjoyed.

The police officer should have joined the navy. They have a position that would suit him. Petty Officer.

again I wish to say the magistrate was most easy to talk to. I was so lucky to get such a gentleman. It all ended well for me. I feel the policeman and maybe the prosecutor may well have been humiliated and that does not concern me.