Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #481
katy

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Sanford and Son is the American version of Steptoe and son, a different program.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #482
woofa.express

Question. Who likes highway cops.
Answer. No one.

My friend Ken took years to grow up. Motor bikes were just one of his toys and he had numerous toys and motor bikes in particular. He was clocked exceeding the speed limit on his red racing bike and a chase by the cops ensued. Ken knew his way around the area so he took many short roads because a bike can decelerate and accelerate much quicker than the cops in their motor cars. I think Ken was enjoying himself and shortly before it ended he had 12 cops trying to catch him. He got a good lead, got to Tocumwal and shut the bike in his friends garage where it stayed for 3 months. Ken simply started riding his blue bike. He said cops in his town of Cobram which is 9 miles south east of Tocumwal had a blitz on riders of red bikes.
Ken didn’tlike highway cops, neither does anyone else and that includes gary and also general duties cops. One cop quoted the following. Not all highway cops are c****, but all the c**** in the police force are in highway patrol.

I've told the highway patrol boss many things that he didn't like. I was courteous and well mannered in the delivery. I also told him to remove "highway patrol" and write "highway men" on the side of their motor cars.

Ken on left side and highway cop on right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fast biker..JPG (36.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg highway cop.JPG (42.0 KB, 3 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-21-2019 at 02:44 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #483
TonyM

I see I posted the same story way back.

Last edited by TonyM; 01-21-2019 at 02:55 PM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #484
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Hey Woofa,

Shouldn't you change the name of this thread to "Tell a Story, Whether it's Related to Model A's or not"?

David Serrano

Wow. This thread really went off the rails.

What a disappointment.

Who cares about what birds are in your yard or your lawbreaking friends Woofa?

Last edited by TonyM; 01-21-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #485
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Wow. This thread really went off the rails.

What a disappointment.

Who cares about what birds are in your yard or your lawbreaking friends Woofa?

Yes maybe I should. It all started when I knew nothing about public forums or how thread's worked so I added to an existing thread "tell a Model A related story". For some reason it started anew and I don't know why. I ran out of stories about my favourite motor car so started telling stories about my life in aviation.
It was a bit like Forest Gump, he started running and just didn't know when to stop. Just as Mr Gump's running ended so will my stories. I will run out of things to write about or maybe snuff it first. But you are about to get a short break as from today because I'm about to depart to work at a place away from home. I'm not looking forward to it as the temps until Saturday all exceed 110F.
Besides all of that, many readers are enjoying them. In about 6 months of writing these stories I have had now in excess of 33,000 reads and I know many are continuous readers. And of course Tony you are not compelled to read them. cheers, gary

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-21-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #486
TonyM

Ok Woofa, have it your way. It's your thread.

I think I will return to the spirit of the thread:

When I go to my favorite local antique/collector car event, the Bethel Reformed Christian Church Taco Car show (Lansing, IL), I usually park near the Model A guys. My favorite show because the event hosts don't charge the participants for entry and they feed the participants a taco dinner with cake and ice cream. Love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13412220_821621991306973_7206878409504638582_o.jpg (71.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #487
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Ok Woofa, have it your way. It's your thread.

I think I will return to the spirit of the thread:

When I go to my favorite local antique/collector car event, the Bethel Reformed Christian Church Taco Car show (Lansing, IL), I usually park near the Model A guys. My favorite show because the event hosts don't charge the participants for entry and they feed the participants a taco dinner with cake and ice cream. Love it.

I won't continue this discussion except to point out that I have 3 Model A's. Maybe you aren't aware. cheers, gary

Old 01-21-2019, 06:33 PM   #488
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
I won't continue this discussion except to point out that I have 3 Model A's. Maybe you aren't aware. cheers, gary
So what?

The fact that you own 3 Model A cars is irrelevant to my (and others) calling out the inane direction your well-intentioned thread has taken.

Have a good day and enjoy those Fords.

TM
Old 01-21-2019, 10:26 PM   #489
woofa.express

I'm off to Griffith NSW to spray cotton for a few days and shan't be taking my computer.
Relief for TonyM and others, cheers, gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airtractor sspraying.JPG (23.9 KB, 6 views)

Old 01-21-2019, 11:00 PM   #490
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
I'm off to Griffith NSW to spray cotton for a few days and shan't be taking my computer.
Relief for TonyM and others, cheers, gary
No skin off my tail.

Wishing you nothing but safe flights.

TM
Old 02-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #491
woofa.express

As you can see by the postings on this thread I have come under criticism for writing in general on a specific forum. Because of this I am starting another thread which I will name “short tails from Woofa.Express”. I do hope those who have added to this current thread continue to add to the new one, please don’t be deterred by thinking it is for gary only. I have enjoyed writing however I shall run out of these stories sometime in the future. You will see that woofa has a short tail , thus the name of the thread. Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woofa (2).jpg (19.8 KB, 7 views)

Old 02-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #492
woofa.express

I did start another thread because of the comment it was not always related to Model A's. The thread got deleted. I guess it didn't have connection to Model A's.
I have been away spraying cotton and I don't bother to take a computer with me. This combined with the comment I did loose some enthusiasm. I am home today and catching up. I will restart but combined with work starting tomorrow they shan't be daily like they were. so here goes.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #493
woofa.express

I have spent about an hour writing a story which did include my Model A. This was on a writing programme because it allows me to easily modify and change some aspects including spelling which I do several times each story. I have copied to paste but it just won't paste. I have tried several times but no.
Because of that I can no longer contribute. I feel it is a shame because I have had more than 35,000 reads.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:02 AM   #494
40 Deluxe

Sad to see you go, Gary. I've enjoyed your stories. I guess it's like they say: "Some people wouldn't be happy even if you hung them with a new rope!"
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:38 AM   #495
Steve Plucker
BANNED

In 1982 I had moved back to California from Washington State.

I was living in Chico, California at the time and had just got back from driving my September 1929 Standard Coupe from Washington to California.

So one day I decided to take the car to a car wash station along the Esplinade in Chico to give it a good washing off.

While I was drying off the coupe a little old lady came walking by and stopped to look the car.

All of a sudden she asks me "Young man, does this car have a rumble seat in the back?". I said "Yes it does...would you like to see it?". She said yes so I opened it up for her to look at.

You should of seen the look on her face when I opened it up...At that moment she said "Young man that brings back a lot of memories for me...you would not beleive how much fun I had back in that seat in those days as a young woman". I just smiled and said with a smile..."I bet you did".

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #496
katy

Quote:
I have spent about an hour writing a story which did include my Model A. This was on a writing programme because it allows me to easily modify and change some aspects including spelling which I do several times each story. I have copied to paste but it just won't paste. I have tried several times but no.
Do you have "Word" on your 'puter? Maybe try pasting your story to Word and then try copying it from there and pasting to the thread.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #497
woofa.express

The Cost of Love.

I have owned many aeroplanes during my working life time. My last was sold off new years eve 2017 because it was superfluous to my needs. I am about to retire and I thought some readers would like my comments comparing aeroplanes to Model A’s. Here they are.
Aeroplane. Enjoyment 10/10 expense of running 10/10.
Model A. Enjoyment 10/10, expense of running 1/10.
What makes an aeroplane fly. Answer, money.
What makes a Model A run. Answer, pennies and love.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ute at bushlands.jpg (20.4 KB, 3 views)

Old 03-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #498
woofa.express

Captain Cornflakes spraying grubs in Canola.

Boree Creek is a farming community about 25 minutes flying time north east of Tocumwal. A good area for winter cereal, canola and fat lambs. And a good community. A community that supports each other, they all pull in the same direction. I loved working there.
When canola starts to ripen it can be subjected to grub infestation. Army worm. To the farmer that’s an insecticide spray job or devastation. Either or. Unfortunately it coincides with the rice sowing season so one year I sent an operator who used to subby to me. John Cornish, dubbed Captain Cornflakes by the Swede who put a handle on everyone.
At Boree Creek the arrival of an aeroplane was an occurrence for a social gathering. Farmers used to congregate around the aeroplane loading site. The girls turned up with morning tea and lunches. Those were the days when markers armed themselves with flags to provide the pilot with tracking guidance across the crop, whereas today marking or tracking is provided by GPS.
Cornflakes was speaking to a farmer who was next to be sprayed and hears this conversation between other farmers. It starts with John Golder asking his brother Allan, whose spray job was only just completed, “how did it go Allan” to which the response was “well they (the grubs) are all on their back now with legs in the air” to which the responce from another was “I wonder if he (Cornflakes) could fly past and drift a little through my house”.
The picture is of my aeroplane, an Agcat, in this case spraying tomatoes. Cornflakes used the same type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat2.jpg (28.0 KB, 8 views)

Old 03-21-2019, 02:11 PM   #499
woofa.express

Consideration of farming families and farm workers.

We have had fires in the south east of Australia and drought in the north east. Well the drought area had record breaking rain which flooded much of that area. Too much rain and now flooding has occurred and many have lost considerable amounts of cattle. Up to half a million head. TV shows what was mobs of cattle that were all huddled together all drowned.
Farming and grazing has many crisis and if none of the above it is prices that at times are less than the cost of production. Families can find it terribly difficult financially and mentally. At times of extreme they simply cannot feed themselves.
This occurrence is not isolated to Australia. It’s almost world wide, maybe with the exception of Europe where they are heavily subsidised. Whilst our farmers here are subsided too it is strictly and only for the transport of fodder during drought.
There is one thing you can do. When you sit to eat just be grateful to the farmer who produced this food where ever it originated.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #500
katy

Quote:
When you sit to eat just be grateful to the farmer who produced this food where ever it originated.
Ditto