Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
Neil Wilson

Default Windshield Trademark Location

RGJS 10-3 shows "Windshield Trademark Location" as per the first photo. However, the drawing is not of a windshield and the trademark does not match the various trademarks shown.

Anyone have information about the location of the trademark in the second photo?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-45455-windshield-trademark-location.jpg (40.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg A-45455-windshield-trademark.jpg (49.9 KB, 9 views)

https://aafords.com Ford Model AA Truck Club @ aafords.com
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Windshield Trademark Location

Neil, I am not sure I am totally following what you are asking, but allow me to throw this out there to at least get the conversation started. The original trademark was etched into the 'plastic' laminate between the two glass panes, and from what I have seen on original vehicles, the location actually varied because the glass was manufactured as a long sheet with the logo printed inside, and they likely used a template to score the glass to score the glass prior to breaking it to size. Therefore to replicate it with the acid kits, as long as your etching is in the lower right side of the glass, you are ok. Just know that etching it is not 100% authentic of how it originally looked.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Neil, I am not sure I am totally following what you are asking, but allow me to throw this out there to at least get the conversation started. The original trademark was etched into the 'plastic' laminate between the two glass panes, and from what I have seen on original vehicles, the location actually varied because the glass was manufactured as a long sheet with the logo printed inside, and they likely used a template to score the glass to score the glass prior to breaking it to size. Therefore to replicate it with the acid kits, as long as your etching is in the lower right side of the glass, you are ok. Just know that etching it is not 100% authentic of how it originally looked.
That is very interesting - one question I didn't ask would have been "which side of the glass the trademark was on originally". You have answered that - thanks.

Regarding my poorly worded post - For the location (photo shown below again) the 7/16" measurement makes no since to me. It is showing a height of a non-existing trademark when looking at the trademarks shown on the page. It seems to me that the important measurement is the 1-1/4" to the bottom of the trademark.

It is interesting that the RGJS has no information like you indicate. Anyone judging is going to assume the location is an absolute and have a tape measure ready for judging. However, as per your post, the location is simply an approximate measurement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-45455-windshield-trademark-location.jpg (40.2 KB, 7 views)

Old 03-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
Jim Mason

I doubt a tape measure would be used at judging. I would use one when placing the logo, though so it wouldn't matter if they did. measure the 1 1/4" to the bottom if the 'triplex', and 1 3/4" to the center of the logo. the standards give more details as to which corner and if it's readable from in the car or from without. you seem to have a copy and I'm not much for typing this time of day.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mason View Post
I doubt a tape measure would be used at judging. I would use one when placing the logo, though so it wouldn't matter if they did. measure the 1 1/4" to the bottom if the 'triplex', and 1 3/4" to the center of the logo.
Thanks Jim, I am writing an article for the Double A'er newsletter covering windshield assembly A-79405 (79-A, 82-A, 85-A). I wanted to be accurate on this point. Attached is a photo to be used in the article.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-79405-tm-g.jpg (52.6 KB, 33 views)

Old 03-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
700rpm

My 29 Tudor has original glass in the windshield, and that is the location as shown above. It is right reading from inside, but it does not say XXX. It has the Ford script and some smaller type around it.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:13 PM   #7
700rpm

I have to correct my above post. Looking at my sedan, it is not original to the car, though it is a Ford windshield glass. Using Vince’s illustration I determined that actually that glass was installed in October, 1936.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote