Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
Tom Endy

Default 31 town sedan tool box

can anyone provide information about the 31 town sedans that have a tool compartment under the front seat that extends down such that it requires a Mitchell overdrive that has a shortened rear tube and stub shaft to allow clearance for the tool box.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
RawhideKid
BANNED

Default Re: 31 town sedan tool box

Tom, in all my years of removing parts from Model As, I have never came across a sedan that had as a factory installed item, a tool box under the front seat. I have found a couple cars that had an after market box installed under the rear floor, but never under the front seat.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
Tom Endy

In all the years I have been rebuilding rear axle assemblies and installing Mitchell overdrives I have been aware that the Victoria, A-400, and the 31 two door phaeton have a dropped floor pan under the back seat. This requires a Modified Mitchell overdrive. It has the gear box positioned four and a half inches further forward and the top rear of the housing is machined down somewhat in order to clear the pan.

I recently did a job for a customer who has a 31 town sedan that he says has a factory tool box under the front seat. The overdrive he received from Mitchell has a longer front tube and a shortened back tube with a corresponding shorter stub shaft. On the data plate of the Mitchell housing the words "tool box" are stamped.

I have not seen the car, only the rear axle assembly and the overdrive. The owner doesn't know if his car is a Briggs or a Murray, or Ford. He said that when he ordered the overdrive Sue Mitchell asked him if the car had the tool box under the front seat.

This is new to me, that is why I am asking the question.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
Synchro909

When I fitted the Mitchell O/D to my 1929 Phaeton, it was was going to hit the under floor storage compartment put there by Ford for the side curtains. I was unaware of a special setup by Mitchell that might have overcome this. Maybe they didn't know about it themselves back then. Anyway, I modified the compartment and made a decent sized one for tools etc which saddles the torque tube just in front of the O/D unit. Access is through the floor in the back.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #5
Brian SATX

I have never seen a factory tool box under the seat. There is a depression under the front seat. I think if you take measurements, you will that like the Victoria, the rear seat floor pan is the culprit.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:45 AM   #6
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Out on the road, you dont want to get under any seat to get to your tools. Maybe a young man, but your hands will be dirty, the seat is hard to move and it would be a real pain. Put a tool box behind the front bumper.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote