Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2016, 07:15 AM   #21
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Grease Silver Gray. Is this Rear End Shot?

I am ready to purchase new bearings. Please advise me and everyone else where these were purchased. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:21 AM   #22
john in illinois

I have had this problem. I think most vendors sell the same bearings. Seek out good used bearings. These straight roller bearings also need fibrous grease not modern grease. Napa has crc stalube 3131 short fiber drum brake grease which these bearings originally used. May have to order it.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:23 AM   #23
Keith True

Rear wheel bearings are one of the things I've almost always found to be good.I've had rear ends full of water,with the ring and pinion one solid mass,with good bearings in the hubs.I have seen a couple that had the hub run loose,on those the bearing rollers were almost barrel shaped.They had to have done that for a long time to wear them that much.I have a rear that I used in my truck for years that has a huge amount of end play in it.It doesn't rub on anything,but the play is all toward the outside,not the inside.evidently all the wear is on the carrier where the axle rides on it,not on the spider where the end of the axle rides.You can pull the axle outwards,but you can't push it in enough for it to rub anywhere.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:38 AM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

This is why I don't replace good original bearings.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:01 AM   #25
Glen in Hillman MI

I was one of the recipients of the bad wheel bearings that was not hardened and I got a call from the vendor for the possibility that I had received a set of those bearings. I told them that the car was still on jack stands and had not been driven since installed. I also said it would probably be about six weeks until I got to it. I did not get them inspected in the six week period. UPS dropped off a box from the vendor that I had not ordered and in it was a replacement set with all necessary parts to install them.
As I recall, those bearings were not case hardened and to tell if you had the bad bearings there were two more rollers in them than the original design, if memory serves me, the originals have 12 rollers and the bad ones had 14 in each cage.
I commend the vendor for being on top of getting the right thing done when they had a problem. That vendor was Bratton's and I thank Walt for being the businessman that he is.

Glen
Glen in Hillman MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #26
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen in Hillman MI View Post
I was one of the recipients of the bad wheel bearings that was not hardened and I got a call from the vendor for the possibility that I had received a set of those bearings. I told them that the car was still on jack stands and had not been driven since installed. I also said it would probably be about six weeks until I got to it. I did not get them inspected in the six week period. UPS dropped off a box from the vendor that I had not ordered and in it was a replacement set with all necessary parts to install them.
As I recall, those bearings were not case hardened and to tell if you had the bad bearings there were two more rollers in them than the original design, if memory serves me, the originals have 12 rollers and the bad ones had 14 in each cage.
I commend the vendor for being on top of getting the right thing done when they had a problem. That vendor was Bratton's and I thank Walt for being the businessman that he is.

Glen
Bingo
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #27
Rowdy
BANNED

The scary thing is that if Brattons recieved part of a bad batch then it is likely that other vendors without morals (Macs) also received some and it is likely many are on the road and getting the money back or getting replacements will be near impossible. Rod
Old 04-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #28
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I know for a fact that Tams in MA (Joe) is and has been acquiring his own quality replacements. I am not sure if what he is getting is making its way to any other dealers....
It is very very scary with lives on the line...
Old 04-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #29
George Miller

I have had 25 Model A's and have never had to replace a rear wheel bearing. My goal is to build the best car or truck that I can with out replacing a lot of the original parts.
It has worked well for me. When ever I have had to replace parts I was disappointed with the repo parts. Some are getting better now, and hope they keep working on getting them better.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #30
mkmskm

I have new bearings that I'm getting ready to install on a chassis I'm rebuilding this weekend and mine don't have that spiral groove like the style in the shown. It looks like Bratton's sells this style and Snyder's and Mac's has the smooth rollers.
mkmskm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #31
CarlG

The first time I took my rear hubs off, I thought for sure that I would need new bearings (among other things). So I ordered a set. When I got everything cleaned up, the bearings that I took out were Ford script bearings and looked perfect. So back in they went. Still have the "new" set on the shelf.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #32
Pat Martone

I just ordering a rear roller bearing from Bratton's; they do not have the spiral groove in them as illustrated in the catalog. When I called them they told me the photo in the catalog is wrong.
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #33
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Tams has the spiral grooves
Old 04-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #34
OlSkoolTech

Good Day! I hope All are enjoying a pleasant one. Yuck! What a mess! You would think with all that going on you would hear something right away. Try putting something like this in the mix to help prevent further damage. I hope the link works, I'm a new member, first post, wingin' iit!

xon 1LDiB CAN 635 FINELY POWDERED GRAPHITE

https://www.waresdirect.com/products...FYlehgod3cUF6A

I used to use it on lawn/garden tractors when I was a Tech for Sears. I'd mix it up with some heavy duty thick ugly grease and pack it in. I'd use it to get a little more life out of mandrels and bearings. When you put the wheel on make sure you give it a good "wobble" test. Thinking about 2ManyCars Post again, I wonder if the Torque Specs are different for these bearings.

I like the answer that 2ManyCars gave you. Sometimes the stuff that looks like the "real/good" stuff, is just a wolf in greasy clothing... and stealthy as it eats up your rear end.

I'm going to Follow this Post closely... I'm very curious to know what you find is the culprit. I Hate/Love when this kind of thing happens. It's Fun to troubleshoot, but Not Fun to spend tons of time, and a truck load of money to fix it especially when you have a "real" life going on in the background.

Cheers!

John

PS. This is my first post. Everybody go check out my Profile and Photo Album. Hey 2ManyCars, I was going to press a button to "Like" your post but I didn't see a feature like that... so, uhhh... I "Like" your post. I like that kind of behind the scenes data.
OlSkoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:26 PM   #35
OlSkoolTech

Oops! I hope it's Ok to put that reference in my post. Some boards don't like that. Please let me know if I did a
baddee.

John
OlSkoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #36
Ron W

Graphite grease is often used in high pressure applications. It is commonly used in saw mill machines. I think that is what you have. There is no need to replace or condemn parts that are not worn. Ron W
Ron W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:44 PM   #37
Zener424

For those of you that posted late, you may have missed my earlier response at Post #15. I determined what the problem is. I purchased bearings that were part of a bad batch. They were manufactured incorrectly. The end plates are soft and get ground up by the rollers. In addition the end of the rollers grind into the inner surface of the hub. All this fine metal mixes with the grease and makes the silvery gray paste that you see. Go back and look at the photos in Post #15. You can see that one of the bearings actually failed and fell completely apart when I removed it.

Thanks for everyone's help & support.
Zener424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:52 PM   #38
Benson

Default Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Grease Silver Gray. Similar transmission bearing FAILURE.

For those reading this I had a similar failure with the needle bearings in my stock Model A transmission that destroyed 2nd gear and the cluster gear. One of the two bearings inside the cluster gear fell apart just like the ones shown here.

The bearing that totally failed was on the end that supports second gear end of the cluster.

So the cluster gear was allowed to "flop" around which destroyed second gear and the matching gear on the cluster.

The cages on the surviving bearings had the oblong holes worn in them and the pins on the rollers were worn to a point.

The transmission worked fine for about 8,000 miles it just made a lot of noise in second gear at speeds above 20 MPH. It was really loud!

So I just shifted early and lived with the noise.

This transmission was built with all new parts in the Mid 1980s.

At the time that it finally failed (about 6 years ago) I did not have any explanation as to why it failed. I now think after seeing this that defective needle bearings caused the failure.

Note: the parts were purchased new in the mid 1980s from a company that no longer exists. So hopefully we do not have to worry about getting bad bearings from suppliers today.

Last edited by Benson; 04-02-2016 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #39
Ron W

Sorry, I did miss that you had packed the bearings yourself. I guess I'm half asleep when I read the forum. Ron W
Ron W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:04 AM   #40
CWPASADENA

I am in the process of rebuilding the rear end out of my '31 Vicky. One of the wheel bearings showed some ware, both were original "Ford". I found an old rear hub and drum in my parts stash that had a good original "Ford" bearing and this is what I will use to replace the worn one.

Like others have said, Re-using good original used bearings is just fine. Original bearings are very good quality and rarely cause any problems.

My experience,

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote