Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2023, 06:05 PM   #1
Mountain Dew

Default Carburetor or Fuel Pump Issue

My 46' Super De Luxe fires off in less that one revolution when I hit the starter button.......usually. If she sits for 4 or 5 days I have to put a little gas in the carburetor to get it to start. Sometimes I can see the low fuel level in the sediment bowl. If I drive around and shut the warm engine down, and let it cool, she turns over a few revolutions before she fires off. If I start it periodically and let the warm engine cool down slowly she fires off in less that one revolution and will start that way cold. It's like the fuel is cooking off from the carburetor or it's losing its prime. I see no fuel leaks. I'm not sure when she started doing this but the fuel pump has been replaced and so has the flexible fuel line. Do I have a carburetor issue or a fuel pump issue?
Mountain Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:16 PM   #2
mcgarrett

Default Re: Carburetor or Fuel Pump Issue

Let's start by checking a couple of things...could be defective fuel pump diaphragm or power valve. Depending on how old they are, I would consider replacing them. At least you've taken a couple of potentially troublesome items off the table.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:01 PM   #3
Mountain Dew

Power valve? Where is that located?
Old 03-02-2023, 08:21 PM   #4
mcgarrett

Separate the alloy (pot metal) upper carb body from the cast iron base which has the throttle butterflies. Look at the underside of the pot metal carb body and you will see a valve screwed into it. This is the power valve. If they are old, they can fail to operate correctly or leak and cause the float bowl to empty into the intake manifold causing a flooding condition. Most new carburetor kits will have a new power valve, or you can purchase one separately from some of the Early V8 parts suppliers.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:59 PM   #5
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
Separate the alloy (pot metal) upper carb body from the cast iron base which has the throttle butterflies. Look at the underside of the pot metal carb body and you will see a valve screwed into it. This is the power valve. If they are old, they can fail to operate correctly or leak and cause the float bowl to empty into the intake manifold causing a flooding condition. Most new carburetor kits will have a new power valve, or you can purchase one separately from some of the Early V8 parts suppliers.

This point needs clarification: New power valves have an incompatible base to the old carburetors, as the old had a flat surface of the sealing base, the new have a radius. These new units can be machined in a lathe to fit, or if buying from a supplier, verify that operation has been done. Alternatively, I've heard that some have used an el-cheapo method by utilizing two washers instead of the correct single, but as this seal is critical to the operation of the valve, I cannot recommend this method.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:09 PM   #6
JayChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
My 46' Super De Luxe fires off in less that one revolution when I hit the starter button.......usually. If she sits for 4 or 5 days I have to put a little gas in the carburetor to get it to start. Sometimes I can see the low fuel level in the sediment bowl. If I drive around and shut the warm engine down, and let it cool, she turns over a few revolutions before she fires off. If I start it periodically and let the warm engine cool down slowly she fires off in less that one revolution and will start that way cold. It's like the fuel is cooking off from the carburetor or it's losing its prime. I see no fuel leaks. I'm not sure when she started doing this but the fuel pump has been replaced and so has the flexible fuel line. Do I have a carburetor issue or a fuel pump issue?
I don't understand. What is the problem? All you have described seems perfectly normal to me. I don't see anything wrong here.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 07:27 AM   #7
Mountain Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
I don't understand. What is the problem? All you have described seems perfectly normal to me. I don't see anything wrong here.
You say that it is normal to take the oil bath breather off and pour a little gas in the carburetor if the car has not ran in a few days?
Old 03-03-2023, 07:35 AM   #8
Mountain Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
This point needs clarification: New power valves have an incompatible base to the old carburetors, as the old had a flat surface of the sealing base, the new have a radius. These new units can be machined in a lathe to fit, or if buying from a supplier, verify that operation has been done. Alternatively, I've heard that some have used an el-cheapo method by utilizing two washers instead of the correct single, but as this seal is critical to the operation of the valve, I cannot recommend this method.
What do you recommend? A new carburetor? Who rebuilds these carburetors? I think I might get a whole rebuild kit and give that a shot.
Old 03-03-2023, 07:59 AM   #9
chuck stevens

Quote:
What do you recommend? A new carburetor? Who rebuilds these carburetors? I think I might get a whole rebuild kit and give that a shot.
We all have the same problem with this "new" fuel... it boils at a lower temperature and floods the warm engine. A heat block plate, goes under carb, will help some. Longer carb studs are needed.
Cold starts can be helped with an electric fuel pump and a spring loaded switch so it doesn't run all the time, just for priming. The carb wants only 2-3 lbs of pressure.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:11 AM   #10
mfirth

What Chuck said x 2. Fuel today is crap & causes problems. Chuck stevens gets my vote before you start tearing stuff apart.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:20 AM   #11
rockfla

Quote:
IMO
I, for one, would start by checking ALL the fuel line connections and make 100% sure ALL are tight and not losing "seal". Then you can look to the above stated issues OR if you want to make sure all is 100% correct.....Box your carburetor and fuel pump up and send them to Charlie Schwendler, 5845 Cole Road, Orchard Park NY 14127......He IS the carb and fuel pump man and will make them right. I include a signed check with my stuff I send him and he calls me and lets me know whats what and sends my stuff back. Top notch fellow!!! I NOW have the same problem with my 39 Mercury, which I didn't have before I ran it out of gas.....I added an inline fuel filter at the rubber line from the firewall to the fuel pump and I suspect that one of the ends of my ADDED fuel filter is not 100% tight and is leaking vacuum over several days.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:50 AM   #12
Mountain Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
IMO
I, for one, would start by checking ALL the fuel line connections and make 100% sure ALL are tight and not losing "seal". Then you can look to the above stated issues OR if you want to make sure all is 100% correct.....Box your carburetor and fuel pump up and send them to Charlie Schwendler, 5845 Cole Road, Orchard Park NY 14127......He IS the carb and fuel pump man and will make them right. I include a signed check with my stuff I send him and he calls me and lets me know whats what and sends my stuff back. Top notch fellow!!! I NOW have the same problem with my 39 Mercury, which I didn't have before I ran it out of gas.....I added an inline fuel filter at the rubber line from the firewall to the fuel pump and I suspect that one of the ends of my ADDED fuel filter is not 100% tight and is leaking vacuum over several days.
The "FordBarn.com" is awesome! I always get great replies when I make posts with issues that arise. Yes....I want to make sure all is 100% correct before I write it off as being an ethanol or vapor lock problem.

Do you have Charlie Schwendler's phone number? You can PM it to me. I think it would be appropriate to talk before I send him parts and a blank check.
Old 03-03-2023, 09:55 AM   #13
Eddie Morgan

Good morning! Thanks, mcgarrett !!! My first day in the barn and your answer to Mountain Dew may have helped me solve a problem I'm having with my Holley 1901 teapot carb. ..... fuel bowl emptying.
Eddie Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 10:04 AM   #14
51504bat

Quote:
The "FordBarn.com" is awesome! I always get great replies when I make posts with issues that arise. Yes....I want to make sure all is 100% correct before I write it off as being an ethanol or vapor lock problem.

Do you have Charlie Schwendler's phone number? You can PM it to me. I think it would be appropriate to talk before I send him parts and a blank check.

Here is Charlie's contact info. It has been posted on my forums so no worry about putting it out there.
716 662 [email protected]
Old 03-03-2023, 10:12 AM   #15
mcgarrett

For what it's worth, the link below shows a range of power valves available from Holley. I don't remember off-hand the correct vacuum rating for the one used in the Holley 94's, but someone here on the Barn will know. They work based on manifold vacuum and there are many varieties with different vacuum ratings as you can see...

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../power_valves/
Old 03-03-2023, 11:23 AM   #16
JayChicago

Quote:
You say that it is normal to take the oil bath breather off and pour a little gas in the carburetor if the car has not ran in a few days?
Yes, after 4 or 5 days the fuel in the carb can evapaorate enough to be low. I usually don't pour gas in, but do have to crank a while to get gas up. I crank in 5 second intervals to not overheat the starter. Depending on how long the car has sat, may need to do that two or three times. Choke fully closed while cranking creates a vacuum in the carb to help pull in fuel.

Kube has advised to close the choke all the way when parking for storage, as that may delay evaporation somewhat.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:35 AM   #17
Mountain Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
Yes, after 4 or 5 days the fuel in the carb can evapaorate enough to be low. I usually don't pour gas in, but do have to crank a while to get gas up. I crank in 5 second intervals to not overheat the starter. Depending on how long the car has sat, may need to do that two or three times. Choke fully closed while cranking creates a vacuum in the carb to help pull in fuel.

Kube has advised to close the choke all the way when parking for storage, as that may delay evaporation somewhat.
My '46 is a little beyond the sceneiro you described. Cranking and choking will not do it. I have to put fuel in the carburetor to start it. Sometimes the fuel level is down in the sediment bowl after a few days. Cranking does not seem to raise the level. The pump works fine when the level is up in the sediment bowl.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:58 AM   #18
JayChicago

Common problem I have heard is the gasket on top of the glass sediment bowl. Slightest air leak anywhere on the suction side of the fuel pump is a problem. Pump will suck air before it sucks fuel. Easy thing to try first is remove the sediment bowl and clean/reset or replace that gasket.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:58 AM   #19
CA Victoria

Had a similar issue. It had a Rebuilt fuel pump & carb. The aux. elect fuel pump added solved this issue. I wired it thru a momentary-off-on switch & use it to prime and backup my mechanical pump.
Old 03-03-2023, 12:04 PM   #20
Bill OH

Install an electric fuel pump at the tank operated by a switch on the dash, which in turn is connected to the ignition side of the ignition switch. Using longer carb studs, put 5 carb to manifold gaskets under the carb. Prevents heat soak into the carb.I no longer have the hard start problems. It has not been discussed, but is the line from the tank to the fuel pump good or does it have holes - turning on the electric fuel pump at the tank will show a defective gas line. I installed a 5/16ths copper line in 1988 and no problems. I used a neoprene gasket on the mechanical fuel pump filter bowl - cork can develop an air leak.

Last edited by Bill OH; 03-03-2023 at 12:10 PM.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote