Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
Jazzjr

Default Help me Identify Year of Engine

I just purchased a Model AA 157" Wheel Base Truck. The Numbers have been Ground Off the engine boss on the left side where they would Normally be.

On the Rear of the Block, (1st time I have seen this on a Engine) It has Cast Letter of H then below it 14 or [4 as shown in the Photos below. Does any one know what the raised Cast Figures Mean?? Maybe the Year could be determined by some one, or what they Mean, again I have never seen a Model A Block with the raised letters in this area. I have checked, and it is not a Diamond Block. It is a Mix of Parts Put together, It has a 28 Oil Pan on the Motor, Ring w/bolts to remove Pump. I will eventually Tare down Motor to see if Cam has 5 Journals. Might it be 32-34 replacement Motor, it doesn't have a Fuel Pump Mount.

I know what the Year and Part# of the Frame, which are 1931, it has 30 Fenders, 2 piece splash shield, and a mix of other Year Parts, going to be Fun Straightening this one out!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2789 (Custom).jpg (566.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2790 (Custom).jpg (558.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2791 (Custom).jpg (580.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2787 (Custom).jpg (583.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2788 (Custom).jpg (577.1 KB, 12 views)
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Help me Identify Year of Engine

I am not sure what the "H" means or the "14"...maybe casting information. Maybe the "H" stands for the month "August" it was casted...never thought about that before.

HOWEVER...go to my website www.plucks329s.org and look up the block data about the 40 Horse Block. There you will see and can determine from the photos of an article which will be in the May/June issue of Model A News, the aproximate date of production of the block itself...nothing else. Other items that have been added to the block such as oil pan, head, ect., could range from 1928-1931 so it is the block itself where you want to start.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote