Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2024, 04:04 PM   #1
Firechickenzz

Default Oil Pump?

I have a 36 3 Window. While out this weekend I noticed as soon as the oil warmed up pressure dropped to near zero (mechanical gauge) Started off around 15psi. Its never been high since I've had it, maybe 15-20 psi when on throttle.

Does this sound like the pump or should I be looking at something else?

Any recommendations on best Oil pumps to go with or sources?

Thanks,
Andy
Firechickenzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:40 PM   #2
69a

Default Re: Oil Pump?

I doubt that it is your oil pump. Plenty of previous posts on this subject. Probably wear in the bearings is the most common cause. And the general recommendation is to just keep driving it.
69a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:49 PM   #3
petehoovie

This, from Ron Bishop's book "Rebuilding The Famous Ford Flathead" - Page 51 - "Ford used 40 non-detergent oil (Summer) in all of the flathead motors. The flathead oil system ran between 10-15 pounds of pressure, but is not considered a pressurized system by today's standards."- This, for factory stock engines back in the day....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 08:18 PM   #4
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
This, from Ron Bishop's book "Rebuilding The Famous Ford Flathead" - Page 51 - [B]"Ford used 40 non-detergent oil (Summer) in all of the flathead motors. The flathead oil system ran between 10-15 pounds of pressure, but is not considered a pressurized system by today's standards."- This, for factory stock engines back in the day....
I don't believe any of that for a minute. Did you know that the factory specification for oil pressure for an 8BA was 57psi at speed. Even the early engines ran a lot more than 10-15 psi unless they were all worn out. Also, non-pressurized engines have "dippers" on the rods; never seen any on any flathead Ford V8's. Model "A"s and stovebolt Chevy's yeah, but not Ford V8's.

Burn all copies of Bishop's book if that kind of crap is in it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 06:57 AM   #5
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechickenzz View Post
I have a 36 3 Window. While out this weekend I noticed as soon as the oil warmed up pressure dropped to near zero (mechanical gauge) Started off around 15psi. Its never been high since I've had it, maybe 15-20 psi when on throttle.

Does this sound like the pump or should I be looking at something else?

Any recommendations on best Oil pumps to go with or sources?

Thanks,
Andy
what weight oil are you running?
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 07:25 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

While a new/better oil pump could certainly help, you might also have worn bearings.

Personally, I would not want to run an engine with no or that low oil-pressure . . . that is just asking for bad things to happen.

At the very least, pull the oil-pan, clean it out and consider putting a new oil-pump in it. I'd probably use a 49-53 oil-pump in it. You'll need to buy/fabricate the right pickup . . . starting with one that Speedway has for the later pump. The later pump has higher volume and pressure than what you have - so it might be a sort of "band aid" for a bit.

The only caution is that the later pump may cause some oil-leaks out of the back of the rear-main . . . depending on how worn the bearing is. Currently you have almost no pressure - so it would be worth a try.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:00 AM   #7
Firechickenzz

Thanks for all the feed back.

I'm running 15W40 Rotella. After talking to my bother last night it sounds like there was a lot of sludge in the pan when he was working on it to get it running again a few years back.

I think I'm going to start with dropping the pan and cleaning the screen. The Oil pressure gauge could also be obstructed so will check/replace that as well.
Firechickenzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:13 PM   #8
Adam/Mill Valley CA

I ran into this with my '36 pickup, which has a poured-bearing stock 221 cu in motor. I posted about this in September 2022, ultimately came to replacing the oil pump with a high volume Melling M-15 pump; this was my conclusion at that time:

"I thought I would give an update on this issue. To recap, it is a 221 cu in stock 85 hp Babbitt bearing motor; with extended highway driving in hot weather oil pressure at 55 MPH (3.78 rear end, Valvoline VR-1 20/50) was down to about 18 psi, dropping to zero at idle. The motor continued to perform fine, as it always has, but I was concerned about the 0 psi at idle. It had a no-name/offshore 8BA #50 pump about 15000 miles ago, with an 8 RT pickup. The old pump actually spec'd out fine when I removed it.
After a lot of thought I decided to put in a new high volume Mellings M-15 pump(from Speedway, marked made in USA), which is reputed to increase the volume by 25%. The main bearings showed .0035-.004 thou clearance with Plastigauge (vs previous .002 thou 15000 miles ago-total miles on the motor unknown)-still within specs, I believe. As Mart has said, it is "worn, but not worn out"
With the new pump after a long highway run, including uphill at 55 mph on a warm day, the pressure at speed is 45 PSI( retained the original #50 pressure relief spring in the valley with a 1/4" shim), dropping to 18 psi at hot idle. I was concerned the increased volume might cause excessive leakage out the back of the crank since there is no proper seal there, just the labyrinth, but that has not been evident at all.
Time will tell if this will let the motor live a bit longer, and I understand I may be just treating my psyche here. I'll update again in the future.

Adam"

In the 1/1/2 years since then I've put several thousand miles on the truck, it runs great, oil pressure remains 40-45 hot on the freeway, 10-15 at idle (hot). No increased leakage at the back of the oil pan. By all means you should drop the pan, check your bearings with Plastigauge, consider a high volume pump. BTW when I first got my truck many years ago and dropped the pan, the amount of sludge was absolutely astounding.

Adam
1970 911E 2.2 litre dark blue/black
1968 BMW R50/2 US, black (m'cycle)
1967 Triumph TR6R , sea foam/cream (m'cycle)
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 red (m'cycle)
1974 Honda CB750 red (m'cycle)
2000 Kawasaki W650 blue/silver (m'cycle)
Adam/Mill Valley CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 06:31 AM   #9
Bored&Stroked

Nothing like some real-world examples . . . as I remember the conversation with Adam. Nice to see that the "big pump band-aid" trick has worked for him. Worth a try at the very least . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote