Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
connecticut mike

Question Questions

I just posted these questions in the Questions & Suggestions forum by mistake. Apologies for repeating them here. but this is where they were meant to be.

- Does anyone know of a source for original-style radiator hose clamps that don't start to corrode as soon as they are installed?

- Is the angle of the flare on gas tubing, like on the line between the shutoff and the firewall, the same as the angle of a modern brake line flare?

Thanks, Mike
connecticut mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
antiquepa

Default Re: Questions

Get a can of clear coat, scuff the clamps up a little and spray with clear coat, you;ll get a little longer life out of them, unless someone makes out of better material, this will help for awhile.
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
peters180a/170b

A+L Parts makes the best radiator hose clamps out there .Or sells them.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
29RPU

The clear coat idea is a good one, but I have found that you start to see things under the clear coat. I have started painting things with a color, to match as closely to the metal material as possible. The paint seems to look nicer longer.

I started clear coating hood hinges and latches on 60's camaro's and sure enough, after one season you'd start to see imperfections in the metal and little tiny rust dots. I started spraying this type stuff with the wheel "cast" paint and it has held up very nicely. As for the clamps, they may be brighter than the cast, in which case I have used aeroplane "alumacoat" which is basically a spray aluminum coating that works great and holds up well. Anyway, that is my humble imput.
29RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I would try brushing on some WD-40. When I clean a more modern car engine at the car wash, I drive the car at least 10 miles to dry everything out, then I spray WD-40 on all the bare metal. If I respray the WD-40 at least once a year, it goes a long way in protecting steel from rust and aluminum from corrosion. Both are big problems in Minnesota, where salt is dumped on the roads up to 6 months a year.

Dumping salt on roads...........IS THIS NOT POLUTION???????? Where the heck is EPA when you need them?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote