Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2021, 07:07 PM   #1
Glenn Thoreson

Default Scratching my head. Whatzit?

Here's one for the researchers among you. A couple of years ago I came by a well worn Model A engine to overhaul and put in my '29 parade jalopy. Before I took it apart I checked the engine number and found this: 3603839 stamped on the number pad. Hmmm thinks me. Industrial engine? I know it had been in a car, though. Forward of the number pad, over the oil fill tube is stamped another number: 22626. These numbers look a little different from the norm but I'd have to check one of my other engines to be sure. Nothing on the block appears to be ground off or modified in any way so I assume they are original numbers. Then, I opened her up and thought " what the hell is this thing?".
The lifter bores are taller than what I'm used to seeing. The lifter bore/camshaft oil holes are absent. The main bearing oil holes are present. There are 3 oil baffles in the bottom of the valve chamber, heavier castings than normal. So, I started ordering parts. Rings (+.060), stainless valves/springs, adjustable lifters, gaskets, etc. Cleaned all the yuck out of the inside and started prepping for assembly. Grind valve seats, lap valves, Check cam bearings (good) install new aluminum timing gear and start assembling the valve train. Got a big surprise. Those taller lifter bores won't let me adjust the valves. the adjustment nut is half way down the bores. That took more innovative thinking and cussing but got it done. Took quite a while, though. My poor eyesight didn't help, either. Anyway, it's all adjusted and and assembled and ready to swap with the worn out one. With it's 5:1 high compression head of unknown make that came with it, this should be a great engine, no matter what it is. So, if anyone knows what this thing is please let me know.
Thanks ...............
Glenn Thoreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:55 PM   #2
frank55a

Default Re: Scratching my head. Whatzit?

Before the number on the pad (3603839) is there a star and an A or AA?
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:57 PM   #3
lrf

I have a Coupe with it's original engine, (2,685,+++) and it had tall lifter castings. The engine rebuilder cut them down so the adjustable lifter would work. It works fine. LRF
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:02 AM   #4
Glenn Thoreson

No letters or stars on the number pad. The absence of oil holes for the cam bearings and lifters has me thinking these are oiled via a passage from the oil pump (?).
Glenn Thoreson is offline   Reply With Quote