Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
41ford1

Default Auto-train and older cars

Has anyone here ever used Amtrak's Auto-train to get an older car to Florida? That is my plan to get to the Bash. Looking to cover any possible issues.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: Auto-train and older cars

That's a good question. I'd like to hear about anyones experience, good or bad, with the Auto Train as we are thinking about using the Auto Train next Fall to take our '39 LZ up to Va. and drive from there to Long Island and up the East Coast to Maine and back to Florida. Vic
Old 01-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
1931 flamingo

Not positive BUT I don't think YOU're able to drive it on to the train itself (ins and lawyers, you know).
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Mike51Merc

I did the Auto train back in '87 and I'll never do it again. You didn't get to load/unload your own car and if you're first on, you're last off. Takes a long time to move all those cars.

For a 15 hour trip, we probably spent an additional 4 hours (two on, two off) waiting on the cars.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Karl Wescott

There are some related threads on this forum: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/ This is a group or people who like to ride trains and is not afiliated with Amtrak
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I would like to hear about some more recent experiences as well. Someone suggested I should check into Auto-train for a trip to Lake Tahoe, Nevada I'm planning to take in 2013. Of course this trip is pending the outcome of the Mayan calendar prediction .

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
Old Henry

The Auto Train leaves either Lorton VA or Sanford FL every day at 4:00 P.M. Cars have to be at the train 1 hour before departure and are driven on by Amtrak employees. The trip is non-stop and takes 17 1/2 hours arriving at the other end at 9:30 A.M. afterwhich it can take up to 1 hour to get the cars off (again, by train employees). Inasmuch as it is an overnight train there are two choices of sleeping accomodations and the dinner and breakfast meals are included in the fare. For more information call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) or click here: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241245666320

Last edited by Old Henry; 01-05-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Someone suggested I should check into Auto-train for a trip to Lake Tahoe, Nevada I'm planning to take in 2013.
Auto Train only runs between Virginia and Florida.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

So what happens when a young railroad employ charged with loading the cars encounters an early Ford with separate lock and ignition switch control, a starter button way off elsewhere, three speeds on the column, perhaps a need to use manual choke, etc.??? I think most denizens of the 21st century would have an easier time coping if you tossed them the keys to an Aerobus.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Auto Train only runs between Virginia and Florida.
Well darn Henry, it looks like I got things mixed up again. The actual suggestion was to take Amtrak (not Auto-train) to Chicago and connect with the California Zephyr to Reno, Nevada and then drive a rental car to Lake Tahoe. This would be in lieu of flying from Baltimore to Lake Tahoe. We would be shipping our cars via an enclosed transporter.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
Capn John

I've taken it 5 times over 25 years. Seats are like 1st class airline seats. 3 choices of food, beef, chicken, fish, snacks for breakfast, club car, movie. BYO and buy the mix. Secure anything you don't want to loose. Most comments above are correct, but arrive earlier than suggested so you don't run into a problem. Take a good book or magazines, sit back an relax.
I just drove a new car back from NJ, 15 hours with gas stops only. Next day I felt it.
Some what tough to sleep with the train noise, etc.
Considering the government uses approx. $.55 per mile for an auto , a one way driving would be $550 - 600 for me plus room and food. Easier on the body, beats any weather problem.
By the way, just south of Lorton, VA, 18 miles, is the USMC Museum, Quantico, right off I95. Really worth the visit!!
"The Auto Train offers a 10% discount on rail fare to members of the National Association of Railroad Passengers and to members of any American Automobile Association (AAA) auto club. Be aware that Amtrak's normal senior citizen discounts do not apply to travel on the Auto Train. Other discount fares may occasionally be available, particularly when traveling against the predominant flow of east coast traffic (for instance, traveling north in January may result in a less expensive fare). Check Amtrak's website and look under the heading "Hot Deals" for Weekly Specials to see if any discounts are available for the period when you plan to travel"
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241337915810

Last edited by Capn John; 01-05-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn John View Post
arrive earlier than suggested so you don't run into a problem.
You can arrive as early at 11:30 A.M. but remember the first on first off thing. If you were the first on you would be the last off. Somewhere there's a balance.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Well darn Henry, it looks like I got things mixed up again. The actual suggestion was to take Amtrak (not Auto-train) to Chicago and connect with the California Zephyr to Reno, Nevada and then drive a rental car to Lake Tahoe. This would be in lieu of flying from Baltimore to Lake Tahoe. We would be shipping our cars via an enclosed transporter.
My family and I have traveled across country on train several times. The main caution is that you can have no deadlines for arrival! It is very typical for the train to be two to twelve hours behind schedule. That means you can wait an hour or two for the train to arrive where you're getting on and for us has been up to twelve hours late arriving at our destination. Think about the cross country trains starting on schedule at one end of the track on either the east or west coast then every little delay adds up and can not be caught up so that the further it runs across country the further behind it gets. I discussed this with a train guy once and he explained to me it is because passenger trains have last priority for use of the tracks so that if any freight train has to pass the passenger train it has to pull off on a siding and wait until it does.

But, if you want a nice leisurly trip without deadlines it beats all other forms of travel in my opinion. It is very nostalgic and romantic, relaxing and even scenic at times, going where roads don't go.

Last edited by Old Henry; 01-05-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
nelsb01

Now..........here is an experience with the Lake Michigan car ferry. They let you drive on (back in) and you are the last on. BUT....if you are not down there in your car at exactly the moment that they want you there, one of their 'ace' drivers is sitting in your car and trying to figure out how to start it. Glad I got there when I did, since he was just about to turn the key.............without thinking there was a starter button and the key was just to turn it on and off.
So -- car ferries and trains -- not the same transportation, but just about the same potential results.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #15
Richard in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
Has anyone here ever used Amtrak's Auto-train to get an older car to Florida?
I've used the Auto Train a few times, and it sure beats driving... although it costs more. Two things to keep in mind:

1. Auto Train has NO set fares! The fluctuate all over the place according to supply and demand.

2. Absolutely NO pets are allowed on ANY Amtrak train. They were once permitted, but no longer.
Richard in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
Capn John

Smile Re: Auto-train and older cars

"But, if you want a nice leisurly trip without deadlines it beats all other forms of travel in my opinion. It is very nostalgic and romantic, relaxing and even scenic at times, going where roads don't go.

Now Henry LOUD interlocution and intercourse might bring a reprimand from the staff!!

Last edited by Capn John; 01-05-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
Vic Piano

The prospect of having someone (unfamiliar with our vintage vehicles), responsible for driving them on and off the train, does not sit well with me. I'll have to do some research to see if Amtrak makes any exceptions based on particular vehicles or if they at least let you accompany the designated driver to make sure they know what to do...
Old 01-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #18
41ford1

It looks like most every one has the same concerns as I do. That is some of the reasoning why I am taking my 53 Courier and not the 41 pickup. Bruce is right about folks not knowing what to do with a key, a switch and a starter button. I experianced that first hand at a tire store. I have already booked this trip. I will post how it goes. Since the return portion was just about double (confirms Richard's point #1) my wife and I will be driving back to NH. We plan to take it nice and leisurely with many stops.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn John View Post
Now Henry LOUD interlocution and intercourse might bring a reprimand from the staff!!
Sorry. I changed to bold instead of all caps.
My apologies for YELLING!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
Richard in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
I'll have to do some research to see if Amtrak makes any exceptions based on particular vehicles or if they at least let you accompany the designated driver to make sure they know what to do...
Yes, Vic... PLEASE report what you learn. That's one of my concerns, too.
Richard in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote