Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2020, 07:40 PM   #1
1crosscut

Default Warford shift lever opening

I was able to get the Warford mounted in my early 1929 AA truck today. The only thing I have left to do is cut the hole in the seat riser for the gear shift lever. Would anyone be able to let me know the measurements of what they have done?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-16-2024, 11:26 PM   #2
dbalestreri

Default Re: Warford shift lever opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
Over this past winter I rebuilt a Warford overdrive to use in my 1929 AA truck.

I've put the Warford into the truck and I'm quite happy with it. My truck has the high speed worm drive rear end and the addition of the overdrive is nice.

As far as speed goes before the overdrive I had a comfortable cruising speed in 3rd gear of 29 mph. Now while in overdrive I am shifting out of 2nd at 29 mph.
As far as how fast will it go... I'm not sure. I roll along at 40 mph quite comfortably and have had it up close to 50 mph. There is still some additional speed available but it's a truck and at speeds higher than that if I had to make an evasive move due to some other persons poor driving etc... it might get a little more exciting than I want so your probably not going to see me on the interstate.
The Warford has an under drive, direct drive and the overdrive so it really opens up a lot of options for driving.
Before I put the Warford into my truck it had the optional dual high transmission. Installation of the Warford is pretty straight forward as it replaces the dual high with no modifications needed.
Just take the dual high out and put the Warford in... well it sounds simple but you need to take the entire drive train out to make it happen.

The gears in the Warford were pretty good but some of the bearings were toast and the cluster gear shaft was shot. I had a new cluster gear shaft made and replaced all of the bearings.

I added an oil seal in the main drive gear housing that wasn't there originally. It fits in there really nice and seems to be doing the job. One has to remove the bearing race to put it in place but it is well worth the extra effort to do it.
Thanks go to AAholic as he shared his knowledge in the addition of this oil seal.

I sourced the bearings from Steve at South Shore Bearing in Quincy Massachusetts.
(617) 471-7800
Steve is an exceptionally nice and helpful person to work with. If you need bearings he is the go to guy.

I have 45 pictures of the Warford in various stages of the rebuild on one of the albums on my homepage that some might find helpful. Too many to try to post on the open forum.
Hi. I am trying to mount a Warford in my 31 AA. Just getting started and I saw you have pictures. If possible I would like to get a look at them . Please let me know if they are still available. Thank you... Dave B
dbalestreri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:26 AM   #3
Bill Cilker

I have this paper that gives the information. I am sorry about the quality, but I got it 40 years ago.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Warford transmission mounting instructions.pdf (109.5 KB, 37 views)
Victoria Association President
Bill Cilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 07:54 AM   #4
1crosscut

Hi Dave,
I still have the pictures posted on my profile page. If you click on my user name and then click on my public profile you can see the pictures in one of my albums.
Feel free to reach out with any questions you may have.