Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
russcc

Default Torque wrenches

What is recommended as a good torque wrench for flathead stud nuts. The Craftsman split beam I used for years may not be that accurate. All I use it for is head stud nuts. If I were to get a new one with a range of 20-60 or 75 ft lbs, any suggestions. I torque the flatmotor up 55# and that's it.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Torque wrenches

I bought a Precision Instruments PREC3FR250F 1/2 Inch Torque Wrench. Very happy with it. Made in the USA and comes with a case.

BTW: Precision Instruments makes Snap-On's torque wrenches.

My buddy, who is a Snap-On dealer, suggested I get the Precision Instrument unit since it's the same one he sells on his truck, just with a different label, different colored handle and a lot cheaper.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 12-04-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
rockfla

I stepped up on a Snap-On.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
19Fordy

I found the torque wrenches at Lowes and Home Depot to be good.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #5
russcc

Thank you. I will check out the suggestions.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #6
Pete

Beam type hold their calibration much longer.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #7
FL&WVMIKE

Believe it or not, Harbor Freight has started to offer higher quality tools lately... including torque wrenches. Here are some tests of them against big names... as well as checking against calibration machines.

Harbor Freight Icon ($109) vs. Snap-On ($400)
Here is a spoiler, when it comes to accuracy, the Icon actually won.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck_O5U1Tyz8

Harbor Freight Quinn electronic. $169 and really nice if you like torque wrenches with batteries. Uses two AA batteries that can be removed for storage... which is recommended. Also does torque angle. Super accurate... and many like it better than the Snap On.

Some may not know about 'Torque Angle'. This is where the tightening specific tells you to torque to a lower number such as 40 ft-lb... then to turn it a number of degrees past that. An example would be 40 ft-lb plus 90 degrees... or 70 ft-lb plus 45 degrees. You can set the electronic wrenches for the spec, and they will tell you when you have rotated the fastener that exact amount. YES. They even measure degrees.

For the style wrenches seen in the Icon vs. Snap-On video, do not store the wrenches with the torque cranked up. Always dial them back to zero for storage to best maintain calibration.
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 12-04-2020 at 03:32 PM.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #8
Kurt in NJ

I tested several harbor freight ones, the cheapest ones and they were all very close
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:33 PM   #9
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
Believe it or not, Harbor Freight has started to offer higher quality tools lately... including torque wrenches. Here are some tests of them against big names... as well as checking against calibration machines.

Harbor Freight Icon ($109) vs. Snap-On ($400)
Here is a spoiler, when it comes to accuracy, the Icon actually won.

Harbor Freight Quinn electronic. $169 and really nice if you like torque wrenches with batteries. Uses two AA batteries that can be removed for storage... which is recommended. Also does torque angle. Super accurate... and many like it better than the Snap On.

Some may not know about 'Torque Angle'. This is where the tightening specific tells you to torque to a lower number such as 40 ft-lb... then to turn it a number of degrees past that. An example would be 40 ft-lb plus 90 degrees... or 70 ft-lb plus 45 degrees. You can set the electronic wrenches for the spec, and they will tell you when you have rotated the fastener that exact amount. YES. They even measure degrees.
Glad to hear HF is stepping up their game. Their tools do have a time and place and I own some of them.

It could be me and my bias, but I just don't trust critical measurements or specs to a lower quality tool such as what Harbor Freight sells.

I may be in the minority and the fool for spending more, but I'm happy to own and support tool makers who are still making tools in the USA.

If I recall, the PI torque wrench I bought was $169.00 shipped and made in the USA

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 12-04-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Also does torque angle. You can set the electronic wrenches for the spec, and they will tell you when you have rotated the fastener that exact amount. YES. They even measure degrees.
Next thing you know, we'll be putting a man on the Moon! YWB

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #11
STEVE O

No more Snap on torque wrenches for me. The ratchet head is bad on mine and the head is no longer made so I am out of luck. They will sell me a new complete one. Yea I bet they would. So much for the lifetime warranty, and I do understand the torque wrench side is not warrantied for life but I feel the head should have been. Thanks
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #12
leon bee

Confidently using my monkey wards beam wrench I bought 45 years ago.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:53 PM   #13
rotorwrench

Pete has it right on the old deflecting beam types. They were inexpensive and lasted a lifetime for guys that just use them now and then. I'm not sure whether many are made anymore but I'm sure they still are.

I've used Snap On for over 40-years and don't have much problem with them. I get them checked every year and they always pass. The best ones were the old dial beam type but I don't think they make them any more. On the ratchet types, a person may be able to find an old Snap On ratchet that would provide replacement parts but I don't know what part broke for Steve O. I rarely have any problems with them but I don't use them as much as my regular ratchets. Most of mine have the high strength replacement gears in them for the older units I have. The later ones all have the heavy duty gears. I'm just glad I bought mine back when they were a lot less expensive. You have to pay top dollar for the US made stuff now.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #14
FL&WVMIKE

Actually just talked myself into the Quinn digital... as I do some torque angle stuff. From what I read, the company that makes them does the electronics for MAC, etc. I used a coupon code... 23865527 that dropped the price WITH tax and shipping down to $142.55! Coupon code was worth $42.50!

As was said, do not store the tool with the batteries installed in case they decide to leak or corrode. Luckily, it comes with two simple AA batteries. Nothing fancy.
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 12-04-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #15
FL&WVMIKE

Delete... Double post

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 12-04-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:47 PM   #16
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:

That's weird. It put the same Youtube address for these as it did for the mechanical torque wrench. Here are the updated web addresses.

As for the torque angle... You can even ratchet the wrench while doing the angle, and it will still work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_biYSzH87o&t=350s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7GaR5mh10k
Old 12-04-2020, 07:09 PM   #17
STEVE O

Hi rotorwrench, Some years ago the rachet head started slipping. At that time Snap-on did put a kit in it and I had it calibrated. Only used one time for a small job not high ft lbs. Next time probably a year later I went to torque hub nut on my focus 165 lbs it slipped again. This time its the head thats worn out (was the first time too) but not available so they wont do anything about it (5 different snap-on dealers). I've watched for a ratchet to get the head but at this point I think I'm just going to weld it and use a ratchet adaptor where I cannot use it locked.
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:00 PM   #18
aussie merc

torque wrench's are never 100% the trick is that there consistent 55ftlbs 54ftbs or 56ftlbs doesn't really matter its that they are all the same every time . there are good tradies out there that will reset your wrench if its out and the cost is minimal We have 10 different wrenches from 1/4" to 1,1/2" drive in the w/shop and get them done every 12 months the cost is minimal
aussie merc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:13 PM   #19
cadillac512

That old beam type wrench is likely to be the most accurate and repeatable choice. I build diesel engines every day for a living and use modern torque wrenches because they're quicker,have audible alerts, and have ratchet heads....but when I build an engine for my cars I use the old reliable Craftsman bending beam wrench. In the decades I've owned it the calibration has never changed.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:58 AM   #20
Bored&Stroked

I have a couple Craftsman bean types - work very well. I also have a really nice MAC long 'clicker' type (ratchet head, etc). It is really nice to use on higher torque applications - like the rear axle nuts on a banjo rear . . . try doing that with one of my Craftsman beam ones . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote