Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #41
mccsix

Default Re: Towing A Model A

They have a "hit" list of OK vehicles to tow with or to be towed, supposedly weight and size driven.
I've hauled a few Geo Metros that look a lot like Buicks or Cadillacs.

USN
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #42
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Towing A Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaTech View Post
Thanks for the info Gene. I will be renting a truck and trailer so we'll have to see how it comes. Maybe they offer to rent shields or deflectors as an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaTech View Post
A related question... I am about to tow an A from Michigan to Florida on a trailer. Do you suppose it would be better with a fitted car cover on it or off? I'd like to prevent bugs and stone chips but am concerned that the cover flapping might harm the finish. Thanks.
By the time you rent a truck & trailer to travel from Michigan
to Florida ...

Considering all the costs - it is cheaper to have someone
haul it for you in an enclosed trailer.

Never trailer a car you car about with a car cover on it,
it will rub the paint off ...

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #43
graeagle1

My problem with using a trailer is that my vehicle is only rated to tow 3500 pounds. Amodel A and trailer would exceed that. That is why I chose the dolly.
graeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #44
Mitch//pa
BANNED

they rent pickups to tow the trailer also.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #45
MrTube

Hehe graeagle1, now they have you renting a truck to tow the trailer they want you to rent.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #46
dave in australia

There's been some interesting comments about towing. I was wondering how heavy the trailer is that will cause the combined A and trailer to exceed 5000lb. My own tandem is only 1500lb so with an A on top, would only be around 3300-3500lb. I don't own a heavy truck, f-250 size, but have towed my A, a 29 tudor, on my trailer behind a common old family sedan with no problems. The sedan was a 95 Falcon, 4.0 ltr inline six and auto. Would easily sit on the highway limit without swaying, or get slowed down by hills. I've also towed a heavy mid seventies Falcon on it, without problems, and not just around the corner either, Melbourne to Canberra and return. If the cars is loaded correctly, you can go up to 1.5 times tow vehicle weight, but that is the key point, loaded correctly. I've seen some vehicles so far away from correct, I was surprised they could even steer the combination.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #47
montanafordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeagle1 View Post
My problem with using a trailer is that my vehicle is only rated to tow 3500 pounds. Amodel A and trailer would exceed that. That is why I chose the dolly.
My supercab F-150 is rated for 6,600 pounds for towing. While it handled it beautifully it did suck down the gas like nobodys business. I also maintain my pickup pretty religiously and havn't neglected to flush the transmission fluid as directed and also do the job after a big long haul like that. 180K later it hasn't let me down (knocks on wood)

I wouldn't want to do it with anything smaller than a half ton pickup and would opt to have all 4 wheels off the ground. If you're that close to max weight for towing, or have a smaller vehicle that trailer might drive you, rather than the other way around. Experience in driving with a trailer and manuvering / parking is also a consideration. The load would also put some serious wear and tear on the drivetrain. If this is the case I think trulyvintage is right on the mark. It would be cheaper and easier to hire someone to do the job. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #48
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in australia View Post
I was wondering how heavy the trailer is that will cause the combined A and trailer to exceed 5000lb.
the U-Haul trailers are heavy as a lead anchor. over-engineered to minimize their litigation potential I suppose. Used one to carry a Roadster once, the load on the engine (E-150 6 cylinder) felt the same with or without the car on the trailer.......
Old 09-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #49
Gord. B by the bay

I have used a U Haul 14 ft cube van so your car is out of the weather and you drive the van and The A inside it wouked out cheaper and safer than a traler worked well for me Gord. B
Gord. B by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote