Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #1
36and63

Default 59AB Distributor

Looking at the 46-48 59AB wiring diagram it shows a different distributor but the crab is referenced when looking at replacements. Do they not make a original style or are guys just using the crab cap on the original distributors?

Thanks for any insight guys.

Pat
36and63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:55 AM   #2
cas3

Default Re: 59AB Distributor

46-48 would use the "rabbit ears" cap. Same base, different cap and hold down features.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:29 PM   #3
supereal

The "crab" distributor was a '42 part only. It was eliminated when it was found to be subject to moisture, such as rain coming through the radiator, and can be replaced by a later type.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:45 PM   #4
38bill

I'm using the crab style cap on my 59AB distributor. I'm not concerned about originality as its in a '38. The crab cap is easier to wire and its thinner so there is more wiggle room, plus they just look cool. You will need the crab cap, matching rotor and the two proper clips for the conversion. I have never had water issues with mine.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:10 PM   #5
drolston

The crank bolt for the crank mounted fan pully on my '41 was installed without the Bellville washer which allowed the fan to pull the pully forward to the point that the fan destroyed the aluminum radiator. Made quite a racket and doused the engine with coolant. That killed the engine. Not sure if that was from water getting into the distributor or all over the coil and spark plug wires. After an hour the engine dried off enough to start, but still needed a rollback to get home.

Another time I had a serious boil over blowing water and steam all over the engine, which died. After an hour and some water in the radiator, it started and ran normally.

I have since replaced the ignition wires with copper core and new boots, but have never run it in a very hard rain.

With the crab being widely preferred and thousands of them out there in all kinds of conditions, I can not imagine that a crab with properly installed cables and boots will have problems.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote