Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2021, 07:10 PM   #1
johndee138

Default which alternator bracket do I need?

I got the 41 motor with the hole in the water jacket out of my 36 coupe, and in its place sits a fresh built french block motor with wide belt truck water pumps. The earlier motor had a delco style alternator bracket but it doesnt put the alt pulley far enough forward to align with the crank and water pump pulleys.
I had been using an electric fan and it will have to be dealt with somehow, but for now the pulley alignment is the issue.
I'm running an Elderbrock 8BA style 4bbl intake.
I may have to go to a pusher fan, or perhaps I can drop the puller fan lower so the fan hub doesn't scrub anything.

Will this Speedway bracket get me past this problem and allow me to proceed to the next conundrum?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Plain...cket,4242.html

I'll fix the holey block, but that's for another day.
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:17 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: which alternator bracket do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndee138 View Post

Will this Speedway bracket get me past this problem and allow me to proceed to the next conundrum?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Plain...cket,4242.html

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:18 PM   #3
Jack E/NJ

Should work for 10si & 12si Delcos and knockoffs. But sure doesn't look home-made. And costs a lot more too. But if your time is money and you got plenty of the latter, I guess it'll do. 8^)
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:41 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
Should work for 10si & 12si Delcos and knockoffs. But sure doesn't look home-made. And costs a lot more too. But if your time is money and you got plenty of the latter, I guess it'll do. 8^)

This is ONE of the problems you run into when mixing EARLY water pumps and LATE intake manifold. A "59" type intake may be your alternative fix. Please don't put an electric fan on that nice old Ford! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:02 PM   #5
johndee138

"Homemade" has a questionable connotation.
I have a late intake and late pumps.
After some further searching I found alangrovecomponents.com
French blocks require late truck pumps, this puts the belt and pulleys out to 3 1/8" off the block face. the early (on my old motor) pumps are 1 7/16" off the block face. (dimensions from the alan grove components website) This puts the upper pulley almost in the slanted 36 radiator. Not really much room for a mechanical fan in the 36 after the mill swap. I've had the 8BA intake a long time and CharlieNY did a nice early Rochester 4bbl conversion for me some few years ago.
I can't see whether the Speedway bracket will work for my application.
I'm certainly open to any alternatives.
I may be wrong, but it appears that Mr Grove has what I need.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:02 PM   #6
Brian

I'm no expert here, but, your current pumps and crank pulley are further forward [toward radiator] than on earlier engines on account of the distributor being mounted in front of #1 cylinder. So, you run outta room to mount a charging device alt/gene, up top because of the sloping radiator in a 36. So, you need to change front timing cover to suit early [up to 48] distributor, change crank pulley to suit [if 59A style, you may need to remove front pulley sheave to clear crossmember, and use 37-48 truck pumps as they have sealed bearings...the French block has not got the provision to feed oil to bushed type water pump bushes. These components will get the fanbelt back closer to the block, then you can figure out your charging system/fan arrangement
Possibly some of this stuff is retrievable off of the old 41 block, but ensure the water pumps you use have sealed bearings, not bushes. If they have double sheaves, they have bearings.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:13 AM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndee138 View Post
I may have to go to a pusher fan, or perhaps I can drop the puller fan lower so the fan hub doesn't scrub anything.

What will allow me to proceed to the next conundrum?

johndee .....A friend (Heard here on The 'Barn) and I needed to come-up with some sort of MECHANICAL fan arrange for his '36 3-window Coupe with an 8BA & late intake manifold. Look over the idea that we designed, and that Heard built in his garage. Making pulleys match-up was a huge part of designing this perfectly wonderful answer to that slanted radiator and pulley alignment. Click the link below (or the GREEN link at lower, left of this post) for the complete story & many pictures. If you have any questions, I have answers. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278828

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 09-27-2021 at 03:20 AM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:03 AM   #8
johndee138

Y'all want to build another one?
Old 09-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #9
rotorwrench

I've seen several different mechanical fan set ups on the HAMB that work on 8BA family engines fitted to early V8 applications. Some use the generator on cylinder head mounts with a fan similar to post #7. It can be done but it takes some ingenuity to get it there.

When changing an 8BA manifold out for an early type, it usually requires a modification for a PCV valve to vent the crankcase since the 8BA family vent through the intake. Changing the front cover to a crab type distributor requires a change of timing gears and cam to early type to drive the distributor and get correct thrust load on toward the front. If a person does this then they can use the early 37 thru 48 type coolant pumps. This still doesn't do much for the fan drive unless a person uses a generator mounted fan like original or fabricates a fan with an offset generator. Alternators don't work well for fan drive applications due to the small bearing set most of them have. The old generator fan drives were heavy duty set ups.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:49 AM   #10
19Fordy

Johndee, Have you seen this thread?
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...3307&showall=1

Here's another link that may give you some ideas.
https://www.tuffstuffperformance.com...alternator.pdf

Last edited by 19Fordy; 09-27-2021 at 10:55 AM.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote