Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2017, 11:46 PM   #21
Pete

Default Re: Swapped torque tube for open driveshaft need a solution for radius arms

For an easy way to do it without any machine work other than drilling holes, read this.
Also, remember this, ANY WELDING that has to be done on axle housings will bend them and they will have to be straightened.
Go to the Hamb and type this into the search.

"T5 or Richmond to torque tube".

Don't ask me for any part numbers. I gave all of that info to half a dozen guys on the HAMB so I would not have to bother with it any more.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:36 AM   #22
brian herres

Default Re: Swapped torque tube for open driveshaft need a solution for radius arms

I think at this point im going to eliminate the old radius arms and install ladder bars.
brian herres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:28 AM   #23
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian herres View Post
I think at this point im going to eliminate the old radius arms and install ladder bars.
The easiest way is to install a parallel leaf spring kit. Those kits aren't that expensive and easy to install.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:44 AM   #24
brian herres

I want to leave the rear suspension original because I love the setup. Unfortunately have to eliminate the radius arms and use ladder bars. I have checked the conversion kits and I don't think they will work with my setup. I Didn't expect this to be this tricky. Merc is back in storage till next spring so plenty of time to consider options.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:44 AM   #25
brian herres

Thanks for everybodys help!!!
Old 10-10-2017, 06:19 AM   #26
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian herres View Post
I want to leave the rear suspension original because I love the setup. Unfortunately have to eliminate the radius arms and use ladder bars. I have checked the conversion kits and I don't think they will work with my setup. I Didn't expect this to be this tricky. Merc is back in storage till next spring so plenty of time to consider options.
Ladder bars can be a problem as well if they are not mounded in a manner that allows the rear axle to pivot about it's center point. Not sure why you believe that ladder bars would be preferable to modifying the original radius rods. The same geometry exist either way as well as the welding issues, etc. Using the radius rods with a torque arm arrangement can eliminate any welding at the axle, is fairly simple to achieve and retains an original look.

Last edited by JSeery; 10-10-2017 at 06:29 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:05 PM   #27
V8COOPMAN

Delete!

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote