Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2021, 09:23 PM   #1
nkaminar

Default Float-A-Motor Questions

I am chasing some vibrations getting into the frame from the motor. I bought the car with the Float-A-Motor rear engine mounts. I bought new rubber pads for the mount and also the rubber sheets that normally sandwich the frame. I thought that that would help. I took the mounts out and the rubber on the outside of the frame was original and hard as a rock. The previous owner had installed the Float-A-Motor with a new rubber sheet on the inside of the frame but the Float-A-Motor bracket was resting on the frame at the bottom. He had used the sleeves that go inside the rubber sheets.

Now, the instructions for the Float-A-Motor show no rubber sheet between the mount and the frame but a new rubber sheet on the outside and the normal steel plate on top of that. It shows the sleeves which I think are shorter than original and shorter bolts than original.

Is this correct? If I put the rubber sheet between the frame and the Float-A-Motor mount the top and bottom parts of the mount, where the rubber disk goes, are not in alignment.

Will putting it together as the instruction show help to reduce the amount of vibration transferred to the frame?

By the way, I loosened the bolts for the Float-A-Motor and that helped the vibration transfer. How tight should these bolts be?
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote