Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
RichPA

Default 7 Tooth

Well, the A is on stands and I have started working on the things it needs to make it safe and reliable.Thanks to all the Barners and the great info I now know what direction to take.I have the 7 tooth column out and apart and I have decided to replace the sector bushings, shaft bearings,upper bushing(which was binding bad), and installing the oversize lower bushing. The lower part of the shaft is scored and I will turn it down to fit the bushing.The worm and sector look ok.My question is, can anyone tell me how well the o ring and washer works that Brattons sells for the sector? If they only leak a little that would work for me.Thanks in advance, Rich.
RichPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: 7 Tooth

I've used 2 of the O rings and washers on customer cars and they both worked fine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
criswellnk

I have rebuilt 3 different 7 tooth colums for my cars, and have torn apart at least a dozen more. The scoring on the end of the shaft, is on every shaft that I have seen, while the lower bushing has always been smooth, with no signs of the same scoring. On the shaft, I do not believe this to be wear, rather done during manufacturing.

The problem that I had run into was that the lower bushing would leak where the mounting plate for the lower bushing was swaged onto the bushing. Over time the mounting plate had loosened somewhat and the fluid would leak past. My fix was to simply weld the plate to the lower bushing. A nice small bead, and no one is the wiser. This stopped my most frustrating steering leak.

Looking for a copy or reprint of 1932 A.E.A. Universal Catalog of Genuine Electrical Service Parts
criswellnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
RichPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by criswellnk View Post
I have rebuilt 3 different 7 tooth colums for my cars, and have torn apart at least a dozen more. The scoring on the end of the shaft, is on every shaft that I have seen, while the lower bushing has always been smooth, with no signs of the same scoring. On the shaft, I do not believe this to be wear, rather done during manufacturing.

The problem that I had run into was that the lower bushing would leak where the mounting plate for the lower bushing was swaged onto the bushing. Over time the mounting plate had loosened somewhat and the fluid would leak past. My fix was to simply weld the plate to the lower bushing. A nice small bead, and no one is the wiser. This stopped my most frustrating steering leak.
What I found is that one of the Timken bearings came apart and I think the steel particles got into the lower bushing, It looks as bad as the shaft,almost like threads.
I think I will go with the o ring, Tom. Do the new sector bushings have to be reamed to fit?
RichPA is offline   Reply With Quote