Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2023, 06:52 AM   #1
philcobill

Default Leg Clearance Issue

I am not sure this question can be answered, but I have to ask anyway.

Let me set the stage. I am 6 feet tall. Despite being overweight, it does not interfere with my turning the steering wheel. There is about 19-inch clearance between the tab on the right hand side of the brake pedal to the gear shift knob when the transmission is in reverse and in low gear in our 1929 special . There is a bit more in high gear and even more in second.

The problem is that I have a hard time moving my leg around from the foot accelerator because the distance between the bottom of my right foot to the gear shift knob is about 23 inches. I have to lift my foot up high and around the gear shift knob when I brake. Obviously it is the worst in reverse and low gear.

My question is, are there any adjustments I can make either in the brake pedal or the gear shift (tower?) to give me more clearance? I understand about moving the seat back with major surgery to the car. We may do this at some point, but for now we are looking for a simpler solution.

The funny thing is that I have driven this car thousands of miles and I don't remember having this problem before. I recently had the Burtz engine installed and I have to wonder if something needs re-adjusting.... I would hate to give up Model A driving just because of this.

Last edited by philcobill; 09-06-2023 at 08:46 AM.
philcobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 07:10 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: Leg Clearance Issue

Two things. 1. There is an article in the latest addition of the Restorer magazine about modifying a car for increased leg clearance. 2. I am working on a 29 Fordor and I was surprised at how much clearance there is. I had to move the seat forward to fit my legs. The seat is movable with a round knob in the middle of the seat.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 07:27 AM   #3
philcobill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Two things. 1. There is an article in the latest addition of the Restorer magazine about modifying a car for increased leg clearance. 2. I am working on a 29 Fordor and I was surprised at how much clearance there is. I had to move the seat forward to fit my legs. The seat is movable with a round knob in the middle of the seat.
Well, coupes are a tight fit to start with.

Moving the seat base and the back rest back by doing major surgery to the car is a possibility, but that will have to wait.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:22 AM   #4
Keith True

Many years ago I modified a shift lever for a 29 pickup.I heated and bent it 3 inches up from the ball,90 degrees to the right.Then I heated it about 2 inches from that bend,90 degrees again,or straight up.I didn't do it to any scientific specs,the idea was if it worked I was going to weld up an offset with good material.It's still going strong,but it was never meant to last.It does make the truck easier to drive.I have a 28 phaeton with a left hand parking brake,that car is hard for me to drive.My foot or knee is always tangling with it.It's a nice car,but I don't like driving it because of that.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 09:00 AM   #5
Seth Swoboda

Get yourself a V8 Ford. 1935-1940 will have the leg room you're looking for. Plus you'll have a V8 for more power and the ride is much better. You won't regret it.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 09:33 AM   #6
Zax40

I bent the gear shifter in my roadster so it would be centered and not tilted towards the driver's side. It helped tremendously
Zax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 10:02 AM   #7
Russ B

You might want to take a few photos showing the clearance problems with your leg. Someone else may need to be the photographer for you. I have bent the shift lever in my high school hot rod A back in the sixties, in order to get clearance needed for safe driving.

I would not worry about heating and bending the shifter. It can be readily replaced with an unmodified one if you want to bring it back to original to sell it in the future.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 10:15 AM   #8
Planojc

Heat and bend the lever where it comes out of the tower.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 10:53 AM   #9
Big hammer

Man this hard to imagine what’s going on ? Maybe you have changed the way that you are driving? Instead of up and over to the brake pedal, try sliding your foot back then over and up to the brake pedal ? Your engine installer didn’t change the shifting tower but may have changed the brake pedal height ? Bending the shifter is very common practice, if all else ask the engine installer for assistance ! I’am 6’3” 200+ lbs and have a Tudor with the seat moved back 6” , I think I slide my foot back and then up and over to the brake pedal. Get out and enjoy your new Burtz !
Old 09-06-2023, 12:20 PM   #10
philcobill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Man this hard to imagine what’s going on ? Maybe you have changed the way that you are driving? Instead of up and over to the brake pedal, try sliding your foot back then over and up to the brake pedal ? Your engine installer didn’t change the shifting tower but may have changed the brake pedal height ? Bending the shifter is very common practice, if all else ask the engine installer for assistance ! I’am 6’3” 200+ lbs and have a Tudor with the seat moved back 6” , I think I slide my foot back and then up and over to the brake pedal. Get out and enjoy your new Burtz !
I imagine that Coupes are cramped to begin with
Old 09-07-2023, 10:56 PM   #11
w.michael

The 28-29 gear shift lever has a different bend from the 30-31 gear shift lever. My 29 Fordor had the 30-31 lever. When I replaced it with the correct 28-29 lever, my right leg was much happier.
If your emergency brake lever is in front of the shift lever, you can change the tower to the later 29 style with the brake lever to the right of the gear shift lever.
If you have rubber pads on the brake and clutch pedals, take them off.
Wear shoes with thin soles, like leather-soled loafers. Don’t wear thick rubber tractor treads.

I have not changed the emergency brake location yet, but I have done all of the other things, and each one helps a little; and all together they help a lot.
In my case, losing 60 pounds would help!

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 09:34 AM   #12
Y-Blockhead

My right leg would get caught between the steering wheel, brake pedal and first gear. Years ago, I fabbed this "gear shift bending tool" to cold bend my shifter ~3" toward the navigators side (USA).

Since that time I have bent several of our club member's shifters for various reasons.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 09-08-2023 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Forgot the picture...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote