Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
fundytides

Default Roadster windshield problems.

I have 2 problems with the windshield on my 31 Roadster.
1. I bought repro finger pulls and it appears that the threaded hole for the machine screw is off center resulting in the profile of the pull not matching the profile of the windshield. I contacted Bratton's and they were not aware of this problem. Are these made by one supplier for all dealers or are there other sources that have a better product? Has anyone else experienced this?

2. When I fold my windshield down, it goes below horizontal and hits on the gas cap. I know some repro caps are "taller" than original but even with the cap off the windshield still contacts the tank filler. From what I can see, it appears that the lower stanchions are worn on the portion that acts a stop for the stainless stanchion. Should I just have this built up with weld or bronze or has anyone ever used another method?
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
fundytides

Default Re: Roadster windshield problems.

Hasn't anyone had these problems?
Old 10-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #3
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundytides View Post
Hasn't anyone had these problems?

Yes, wasn't it you. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285215
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
Lona

Seems like a lot of trouble to fix your stanchions so the windshield won't hit the gas cap. In reality, how often would you ride with the windshield down? You live in New Brunswick, Canada. I was there mid-September last year and needed a heavy jacket to stay warm and it rained a lot. I'm a weather wimp from Virginia and jealous of you northern guys who don't mind the cold.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
fundytides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Yes that was me. Just got back at my project again and just wanted to make sure there were no other options before I build up the lower stanchions with weld. No solution on the finger pulls yet except to re-chrome the old ones.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #6
fundytides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lona View Post
Seems like a lot of trouble to fix your stanchions so the windshield won't hit the gas cap. In reality, how often would you ride with the windshield down? You live in New Brunswick, Canada. I was there mid-September last year and needed a heavy jacket to stay warm and it rained a lot. I'm a weather wimp from Virginia and jealous of you northern guys who don't mind the cold.

Glen
Hey. I hear you. We have spent the last 10 winters in Florida but won't be going this year because of Covid and the political situation. First time I have bought snow tires in 10 years. However weather is nice here right now, Temperature is above freezing and lots of sunshine. People were complaining last week because it was too warm for the moose season. Hard to get them out of the woods fast enough in warm weather before the horseflys get them. Anyway, I would like to pick a nice day (above 60) next summer and drive with the windshield down. Haven't done that sine I owned a MG TD in the 60's. It was fun then. We'll see if it still is.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:53 PM   #7
charles=fla

hi from florida..ques u say u fold your windshield forward...how does the rubber on the bottom of windshield clear the cross piece?thanks or how is it installed ??
charles=fla is offline   Reply With Quote