Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2023, 12:59 PM   #1
JayChicago

Default Volkswagon Banjo Wheel

A while ago TJ on this forum suggested the aftermarket VW banjo steering wheel. I had seen that, good looking wheel, and good price at around $300, but I was afraid the VW wheel couldn't be adapted to my GM column. But TJ said the standard 3-bolt adapter works. So I did it. And I like it! I like that the center is black to match the column instead of the normal chrome center. Thanks, TJ.
(this is a bad photo, bad lighting in my garage)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volkswagon steering wheel.jpg (51.5 KB, 445 views)

Last edited by JayChicago; 04-24-2023 at 01:13 PM.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 02:31 PM   #2
oldbugger

Default Re: Volkswagon Banjo Wheel

I like it, I have vw parts on all my old cars, and no one every can find them.
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 02:44 PM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
A while ago TJ on this forum suggested the aftermarket VW banjo steering wheel. I had seen that, good looking wheel, and good price at around $300, but I was afraid the VW wheel couldn't be adapted to my GM column. But TJ said the standard 3-bolt adapter works. So I did it. And I like it! I like that the center is black to match the column instead of the normal chrome center. Thanks, TJ.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 04:00 PM   #4
GB SISSON

And I like it too. I have mid sixties VW seats in the woodie wagon.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 04:05 PM   #5
ronn

I bought the exact wheel in white 6 weeks ago for my brotheres Zwitter VW. Handsome whls at a great price.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 06:10 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:

From what I'm seeing in the picture, I'd bet fifty cents that that car has a T5 transmission in it when looking at the shifter and its location. Looks like a 1937 DeLuxe car to me. Any comments on the transmission and driving details? Nice WHEEL and installation!

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 06:46 PM   #7
Fritz

Very nice! I like the look. I think my mind would be confused seeing the Wolfsburg Crest in an Early Ford. My 41 pickup shared the garage with the '57 oval I restored for several years.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 07:19 PM   #8
TJ

Jay, glad I could help and the banjo looks just right in your car. I noticed lately the prices have crept up a little, but they are still a good deal as there is nothing out there in the way of traditional looking banjo wheels for that price.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:28 PM   #9
JayChicago

[QUOTE=V8COOPMAN;2221408]From what I'm seeing in the picture, I'd bet fifty cents that that car has a T5 transmission in it when looking at the shifter and its location. Looks like a 1937 DeLuxe car to me. Any comments on the transmission and driving details? Nice WHEEL and installation!

Coop
Yes, is a ‘37 Deluxe slant-back. And yes, good eye, it is a T-5. Which T-5, what gears, I don’t know. (was built two owners ago, never was able to talk to the builder)

T-5 is great. Has almost too low first gear, sometimes start in second. But still could cruise all day at ninety (I don’t) in 5th gear overdrive. (Has open drive with normal rear end ratio, 3.70 or 3.80) Up shifts and down shifts easy once the gear lube warms up. Love the T-5.
Old 04-24-2023, 09:56 PM   #10
JayChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
Very nice! I like the look. I think my mind would be confused seeing the Wolfsburg Crest in an Early Ford.
Yeah, I expect to get questions about that Wolfsburg Crest on the horn button. But hey, it’s a street rod, anything goes. Hot rodders used to put Jaguar running gear under old Fords.

Mart has a video showing how he custom made a horn button. I’ll be thinking about doing that. I’ll need to find something about 3-4” diameter, hopefully dome shaped, with a V8 logo on it. Maybe next year. This year I’ll let the people ask why that VW logo is there. I’ll tell them it’s from an antique Porsche.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:07 AM   #11
Fritz

Haha, and you would be right. Porsche Type 60.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 06:42 PM   #12
V8COOPMAN

[QUOTE=JayChicago;2221447]
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
From what I'm seeing in the picture, I'd bet fifty cents that that car has a T5 transmission in it when looking at the shifter and its location. Looks like a 1937 DeLuxe car to me. Any comments on the transmission and driving details? Nice WHEEL and installation!

Coop
T-5 is great. Has almost too low first gear, sometimes start in second. But still could cruise all day at ninety (I don’t) in 5th gear overdrive. (Has open drive with normal rear end ratio, 3.70 or 3.80) Up shifts and down shifts easy once the gear lube warms up. Love the T-5.
T-5 is great! Man, that's about what I expected to hear. It is hard for me to imagine finding once someone has had the opportunity to drive one of these cars with a decent T5 installation, that they would not immediately realize ALL of the benefits of one of these smooth-shifting, full-synchro, relatively quiet transmissions, and that's not even counting the OVERDRIVE part of it.

It is interesting to note your comment about first gear being too low. That pretty much makes it obvious that your trans is straight out of an S-10 pickup and still has it's original 4.03 or 3.76 first gear ratio that was akin to the S-10 trucks. And, this is why I harp so religiously upon the fact that the BEST of intents here is to use a T5 that has been modified to use an S-10 REAR HOUSING (it is all a matter of bolt-together) along with its required SHORT shift shaft in the lid. Of course, all of that gets your shifter moved forward to the convenient location seen in your picture. Without using the "S-10 rear housing" with its forward shifter location, the shifter would obviously end-up exiting your seat. Unfortunately the S-10 trans as a whole, in its unmodified state, is going to have those 'parade-like' granny gear sets because of the wimpy four and six cylinder engines that came in the S-10.

That is why I adamantly push guys to be wary of just using an S-10 transmission. You end-up with a 1st gear that is just not usable. All you really wanted was the S-10 pieces swapped onto whatever T5 transmission you end-up using. Ideally, one would find himself with an early NWC Camaro V8 T5 with the ideal close-ratio 2.95 first gear gearset. It is all a bolt-together affair. OR, you can easily swap out the wimpy S-10 gearset with the close ratio 2.95 gearset. That's part of what makes this such a great little transmission is the ability to swap parts.

Jay, the link BELOW contains a more comprehensive version of details that I put together for another member some time ago. A world of T5 info concerning what you have, at your fingertips. I hope some of this is helpful to you.

Coop

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...49&postcount=7

And THANK YOU for the feedback, Jay!

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 04-26-2023 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2023, 05:42 AM   #13
fortyonerag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
Very nice! I like the look. I think my mind would be confused seeing the Wolfsburg Crest in an Early Ford. My 41 pickup shared the garage with the '57 oval I restored for several years.
I seem to recall there are some interesting aftermarket VW Steering wheel centres.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:28 AM   #14
TJ

For a variety of horn buttons that may fit check Flash Power Auto on e-Bay.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 04:31 PM   #15
hotrodcbx

[QUOTE=V8COOPMAN;2221649]
Quote:

T-5 is great! Man, that's about what I expected to hear. It is hard for me to imagine finding once someone has had the opportunity to drive one of these cars with a decent T5 installation, that they would not immediately realize ALL of the benefits of one of these smooth-shifting, full-synchro, relatively quiet transmissions, and that's not even counting the OVERDRIVE part of it.

It is interesting to note your comment about first gear being too low. That pretty much makes it obvious that your trans is straight out of an S-10 pickup and still has it's original 4.03 or 3.76 first gear ratio that was akin to the S-10 trucks. And, this is why I harp so religiously upon the fact that the BEST of intents here is to use a T5 that has been modified to use an S-10 REAR HOUSING (it is all a matter of bolt-together) along with its required SHORT shift shaft in the lid. Of course, all of that gets your shifter moved forward to the convenient location seen in your picture. Without using the "S-10 rear housing" with its forward shifter location, the shifter would obviously end-up exiting your seat. Unfortunately the S-10 trans as a whole, in its unmodified state, is going to have those 'parade-like' granny gear sets because of the wimpy four and six cylinder engines that came in the S-10.

That is why I adamantly push guys to be wary of just using an S-10 transmission. You end-up with a 1st gear that is just not usable. All you really wanted was the S-10 pieces swapped onto whatever T5 transmission you end-up using. Ideally, one would find himself with an early NWC Camaro V8 T5 with the ideal close-ratio 2.95 first gear gearset. It is all a bolt-together affair. OR, you can easily swap out the wimpy S-10 gearset with the close ratio 2.95 gearset. That's part of what makes this such a great little transmission is the ability to swap parts.

Jay, the link BELOW contains a more comprehensive version of details that I put together for another member some time ago. A world of T5 info concerning what you have, at your fingertips. I hope some of this is helpful to you.

Coop

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...49&postcount=7

And THANK YOU for the feedback, Jay!

Not all t5's are created equal. Back 15 years ago you could buy a Mustang T5 from Summit for $1300.00 new. I bought 2 of them knowing the prices would go crazy, one for my 34 3 window and the other for my '33 roadster both flathead powered. These T5's have real nice gear spread with a .63 O/D
Many improvements over a S-10 T5, no need to start in 2nd. Only problem is you need to install a S-10 tail housing to move the gear shift forward. Nice to cruise at 60mph at 1800 rpm and thats with 4:11 gears.
hotrodcbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:38 PM   #16
V8COOPMAN

[QUOTE=hotrodcbx;2221829]
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

Not all t5's are created equal. Back 15 years ago you could buy a Mustang T5 from Summit for $1300.00 new. I bought 2 of them knowing the prices would go crazy, one for my 34 3 window and the other for my '33 roadster both flathead powered. These T5's have real nice gear spread with a .63 O/D
Many improvements over a S-10 T5, no need to start in 2nd. Only problem is you need to install a S-10 tail housing to move the gear shift forward. Nice to cruise at 60mph at 1800 rpm and thats with 4:11 gears.

"Not all T5s are created equal". That was a huge part of my point. The very early V8 Mustang T5s had the identical gearset as the 2.95 close-ratio V8 Camaro set. The gears will swap all day long. If folks will RESEARCH these things before jumping, one can end-up with the best of transmission choices.

Coop

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE