Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-01-2021, 09:07 AM   #1
Mart

Default A request for help! 32 Ford sedan glass help sought.

Edit: Stand down fellas. I'm moving forward with making templates. I've developed a method for deriving the shapes. Watch out for a video down the line. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Mart.

Hello. Thanks for looking. I have some questions re the glass for my 32 Ford Sedan. I have shown some dimensions that will help me get the shape for the front glass. If you can help that would be most appreciated.
I also show the rear window and ask some questions.
Any advice that can be offered would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Mart.
https://youtu.be/rHSDXIYKWJ4

Last edited by Mart; 06-02-2021 at 01:57 PM.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:29 PM   #2
mfagan

Default Re: A request for help! 32 Ford sedan glass help sought.

Mart, enjoy your videos every week.

Maybe the folks at the link below could help.

https://cgfordparts.com/wwwsectionfi...at1_glass.html
Old 06-01-2021, 05:05 PM   #3
TJ

Mart I think you can get glass patterns from Bob Drake and then have your local shop cut the glass..
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:22 PM   #4
51504bat

Mart, I knew that Joe's Antique Auto listed glass patterns but I just checked and nothing for '32. I realize you're across the pond but if you can't find what you need you might try contacting Riverside Street Rod glass. He cuts windows from patterns. Did the windshield on my "39 pick up as well as both door windows. Might be worth reaching out to him. He was real helpful with install tips when I bought the glass from him. All around good guy. IMO

https://streetrodglass.com/contact-us/
Phone: (951) 789-8870 Email: [email protected]
Old 06-02-2021, 09:27 PM   #5
Allinger

FrontSmall.jpg

RearWindow Small.jpgMart,
To remove and install the REAR glass, you remove the vertically placed wood screws holding the interior metal support. This allows you to lean the metal inward because the rivets in the wheel well will prevent you from removing it completely. To install the new glass, with the window channel on the front and rear edge of the glass, slide the whole mass downward with the top of the glass leaning toward the center of the car, into the metal channel. Once the channel and glass is installed, install the roller mechanism and screw the metal back in place. To secure the channel, I use dabs of black RTV silicone on the channel to hold it in place, first at the top, then I roll the window up to hold pressure on it. After the top RTV dries, place dabs of RTV at the bottom on the back of the channel and roll the window down to hold it while it dries.
As far as actual glass measurements, every window I have is slightly different dimensions and shape. If you cut cardboard to fit, you can scribe the top edge to fit the door. Don't make the mistake of thinking a taller glass or shorter piece of glass is better. If you get it too tall, the glass will still be visible with the window all the way down. Conversely, if the glass is too short, the metal glass channel will be visible when the window is rolled up.
Rear glass measures approximately 16 x 31 1/2 inches with vertical and square edges front and rear.
Front glass measures about 14 3/4? (maybe 15 3/4 I need to remeasure) x 31 7/16. The rear edge is square but the front edge tapers back about an inch.
Last time I got laminated 1/4 inch glass cut to size, it cost USD $75 a piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frontedge Small.jpg (29.5 KB, 12 views)
Allinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:59 AM   #6
Mart

Thanks so much Allinger you answered my questions perfectly. I've been working on my templates and will cross check against your dimensions. As I'm doing mine by trial and error I started a bit big and have been sanding down until I get a good sliding fit. I can now check if I'm there or still a mile off.
Need to go out now, will study the info again when I come back.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote