Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #1
bigd1101

Default New baby 1953 Merc

Been a while since I posted. Hope everyone is good. Anyway, just bought this car and I have a ton of questions. Sorry to post on two categories as I hit the later V-8 button and posted there.

1. I need to change the tranny fluid in the 53 but there seems to be some debate on what type to use as the type A the book says is no longer made. I guess all tranny fluids are NOT alike. Different resistance, how they affect the smoothness of shifting, etc. Some say type F is a good replacement, some don't, other brands are better that others.........

The 80 year old guy I bought the car from cannot remember what he used, and it's down about half at idle and I don't want to mix it, so I'm just going to drain it out and start from scratch and why I need some good advice.

2. The car has it's original flathead V-8. I did some minor tune up.....cleaned the spark plugs, the rotor tip, new clear fuel filter, fresh gas (high test) as the car on the way home from picking it up (40 miles away), died twice , but only at low speed start out. It's running a bit rough, and when you rev the engine, hesitates.

On the other side, the car cruised great at higher speeds, but like I said, when you stepped on it, it hesitated. Timing off? Coil? Two barrel Holly carb problem?

Anyway, the body and interior are show car grade.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg merc.jpg (72.6 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg merc1.jpg (58.9 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg merc2.jpg (70.0 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg merc3.jpg (48.1 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg merc4.jpg (40.2 KB, 106 views)
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:27 AM   #2
flathead48

Default Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Can’t help you with the ATF but that is a beautiful ride, good luck with it & congrats on your purchase.
flathead48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:31 AM   #3
1931 flamingo

Try some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank, 8 oz won't hurt anything. Dirty points?? Carb plunger dry??
Has the car been driven regularly before you purchased it??

Nice looking, enjoy ! !
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:33 AM   #4
bigd1101

The car was not driven much the last couple of years as the guy was in poor health.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:48 AM   #5
RalphG

Yes, beautiful Merc. 52-53s are my favourite. Mine has a stumble at take off which I attribute to a weak accelerator pump in the Holley carb. I've learned to live with it. Works fine at higher rpm. The Mercomatic seems pretty forgiving as mine is all original and still working. I'll have to check the label to see what oil I've been adding. I've read so many discussions here and elsewhere as to what is the proper oil that I can't remember what the consensus was.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:55 AM   #6
19Fordy

Congratulations on your beautiful new old Merc .
Bittersweet and black roof color combo can't be beat. Here's the transmission fluid .
https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/e...hicle+Specific
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:14 AM   #7
bigd1101

I went ahead and bought disc brakes but another Merc guy says I need a power brake booster or the wheels will lock up if I try to use the old single master. Yikes! The cars brakes are good but not real responsive, as you really have to put some foot pressure on them. That is why I was going to put discs on the front, but now I don't know. The guy said just get a booster master and keep the drums. Any suggestions?
Old 06-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #8
tubman

I have to agree with "another Merc guy". That car looks like it should be kept as original as possible. I know these cars had "hanging pedals", but don't know if power brakes were an option. I would do some research and see what other folks have done in similar situations.

As an aside, I have a 1951 Ford coupe that, I believe, has essentially the same brake system as this Mercury. In my opinion, my brakes work perfectly and don't require much extra effort. Sure , there is some, but I don't believe that it is excessive. I think you should do a couple of things before tearing into that beautiful car. First, drive it around a bit to get used to the "feel" of the braking system; you may just find that, once you get used to it, it will be completely satisfactory. If that doesn't satisfy you, I think an inspection and some general maintenance to the system should be performed to make sure everything is "up to snuff"..
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:44 PM   #9
Merc Cruzer

Valvoline Type F or Pennzoil Type F. While you are there change the pan gasket and the filter/screen.

Enjoy the Merc.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-03-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:01 PM   #10
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post

As an aside, I have a 1951 Ford coupe that, I believe, has essentially the same brake system as this Mercury. In my opinion, my brakes work perfectly and don't require much extra effort. Sure , there is some, but I don't believe that it is excessive. ..
I agree. I see many comments about updating the brakes on these old Ford/Mercs but I don't see the need. My drums and shoes will lock up the wheels if I want to put enough foot pressure on it. What more could power brakes do? The only possible benefit I could see would be in changing to a dual circuit master cylinder so in the event of a line failure the car would still have some braking.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:18 PM   #11
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
I agree. I see many comments about updating the brakes on these old Ford/Mercs but I don't see the need. My drums and shoes will lock up the wheels if I want to put enough foot pressure on it. What more could power brakes do? The only possible benefit I could see would be in changing to a dual circuit master cylinder so in the event of a line failure the car would still have some braking.
Even that is not as simple as it sounds. It requires sizing the master cylinder correctly and possibly adding some proportioning valves. Dual master cylinders are not what they're cracked up to be. I lost a rear brake line on my '99 F150 and had some brakes. I changed all the brake lines (rust from Minnesota salt), and everything was fine, UNTIL I blew a front brake line a couple of years later. That time I had almost no brakes at all; certainly not enough to be of use except in the gentlest of conditions. After I replaced the front brake lines, everything was perfect again. After that experience, it is my opinion that good maintenance is more important than a dual master cylinder. Certainly not on a system assembled from miscellaneous parts.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:29 PM   #12
RalphG

I finally remembered to look at the oil I've been adding to the 52 Mercomatic. Its type F. I was planning to change but the oil in it looks so clean I am just running it as is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type F.jpg (47.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-15-2021, 07:55 PM   #13
paul2748

This is what I have heard is the replacement for Type A, assuming the insides are stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Without wanting this to turn into one of those which oil is better, 10 years ago when I bought my 53' Merc, I drained the trans and refilled it with Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc Mercon' LV. I have run the same ATF fluid ever since, with no issues.

Just a statement , not an endorsement.

If it seems to be working well and the fluid doesn't smell burnt, you might want to ask the previous owner what he used, since it appears the took very good care of the car.

Good luck, drive it and enjoy it.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:16 AM   #14
rotorwrench

FoMoCo was worried about the bronze and steel metallic plate slippage when they developed the Type F in the late 60s to use in the Borg Warner design transmissions after the whale oil moratorium became reality. Type F will insure more positive lock up of the clutch packs during the shift phase. I would use it if there is any sign of slippage going on but all the old fluid has to be drained out for it to do any good.

My only worry with the late specification Dexron/Mercon fluids is that they are sometimes synthetic based or semi-synthetic and may cause breakdown of old seals. If you replace old fluid with new, keep an eye on it for a while to see if it starts to leak. If a person doesn't know what's in the transmission then it should be completely drained before using any type of fluid you choose.

The old Holley top float bowl type carbs don't like to set around much. As was mentioned, it may be a problem with the accelerator pump. There can be problems with the plunger or there can be blockage in the fluid circuit for it. The check valve may also be sticky.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-16-2021 at 09:38 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:57 AM   #15
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
FoMoCo was worried about the bronze and steel metallic plate slippage when they developed the Type F in the late 60s to use in the Borg Warner design transmissions after the whale oil moratorium became reality. Type F will insure more positive lock up of the clutch packs during the shift phase. I would use it if there is any sign of slippage going on but all the old fluid has to be drained out for it to do any good.

My only worry with the late specification Dexron/Mercon fluids is that they are sometimes synthetic based or semi-synthetic and may cause breakdown of old seals. If you replace old fluid with new, keep an eye on it for a while to see if it starts to leak. If a person doesn't know what's in the transmission then it should be completely drained before using any type of fluid you choose.

The old Holley top float bowl type carbs don't like to set around much. As was mentioned, it may be a problem with the accelerator pump. There can be problems with the plunger or there can be blockage in the fluid circuit for it. The check valve may also be sticky.
I'm going to get the F Type, drain the tranny and put it in.

BTW, the more I run the car, the smoother it seems to be getting, so you are right. The 80 year old guy I bought the car from drove it less and less and basically sold it to me as he could not steer or work the manual brakes due to his failing health, even though it was currently registered and inspected, but up here in Central NYS, we put our cars to rest for months and I'm thinking it sat all winter. I drove it 40 miles home when I picked it up and I'm thinking that was the most it had ben driven in a few years. He only drove it to car shows anyway.

One other question......I'm having the front end checked out for play as the steering is a tad sloppy, and I am weary (and lack expertise) in trying to adjust the steering box first to see it that is the problem, unless adjustment is straight forward, then I might try,
Old 06-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #16
rotorwrench

The steering gear is adjustable but only for normal wear. The adjustment is made with the wheels off the ground and steering wheel in the straight ahead position only. If off center even a little, it will be too tight at the exact mid point. Many of the old cars I've had experience with, have needed a new worm gear or sector roller due to excessive wear and spalling of metal. This leaves divots in the gear teeth that can be felt when attempting to tighten things up.

The tie rod ends & drag link joints or the idler arm can get loose and are the first thing to check. The king pins will also need to be checked. At least king pin kits are easy to source for your car since they are same as Ford for 52 & 53. Power steering cars are a bit different but I think most stuff is available. The upper and lower A-arm bushings are the threaded type and seldom get worn very rapidly. They are hard to check but can be checked more easily if the springs are removed. I'd just perform a good grease job and give it a good shake down to check all this stuff. if it all doesn't move around to much then it's good to go.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:45 PM   #17
Ross F-1

I'm also of the belief that dual MC's are more problems than solutions. I've never had a single-MC outright fail, it's the rest of the system. Singles will leak long before any serious trouble. On the other hand, I've had multiple dual-MC's fail on one circuit with no warning, and like said, there may be "some" brakes but not enough to do much good.

Getting the right dual MC, especially with discs up front, and getting everything balanced, is not simple or cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Even that is not as simple as it sounds. It requires sizing the master cylinder correctly and possibly adding some proportioning valves. Dual master cylinders are not what they're cracked up to be. I lost a rear brake line on my '99 F150 and had some brakes. I changed all the brake lines (rust from Minnesota salt), and everything was fine, UNTIL I blew a front brake line a couple of years later. That time I had almost no brakes at all; certainly not enough to be of use except in the gentlest of conditions. After I replaced the front brake lines, everything was perfect again. After that experience, it is my opinion that good maintenance is more important than a dual master cylinder. Certainly not on a system assembled from miscellaneous parts.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:03 PM   #18
RusselS

re: Brakes - the Mercs had 11" drums compared to the 10"s on the Fords.. with that much braking surface they're going to stop as well as any (non-power) disc setup - plus the adapters and the swap are not straight forward...

a brake job (drums turned, shoes replaced, lines checked, fluid replaces, brake springs, wheel/master cylinders checked, etc) and you'll be good for a very long time.
RusselS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:33 AM   #19
sugarmaker

bigd,
Man that is a awesome car. I would drive that in a heartbeat! It sure looks very clean and detailed too! Great find at 40 miles away too!
Good pictures and documentation!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:13 AM   #20
Ken Henry

Check for seized or partially seized wheel cylinders from sitting. Happened on my 51 Ford car and the pedal effort was surprising. I also recommend replacing the brake rubber hoses. These pinch shut with age and cause ‘slow’ responding brakes/dragging shoes.
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote