Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #21
VeryTangled

Default Re: 1932 ford frame differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by evobuilder View Post
VeryTangled.... your comment makes no sense, are you being a smart ass or just did not finish your thought? My question is worthy of feedback from those with knowledge on Ford history.
Sorry, my post was to indicate you indeed asked in the right forum, even if I didn't know your answer.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 08-14-2019 at 05:46 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #22
evobuilder

So DavidG.... so what you are saying is that.... all 32 frames in the US would have had the reveal design on the frame rails? Just making sure I am following - and thanks to all for chiming in on this. It's greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
The overall length and width of the passenger car/commercial vehicle frames were unchanged from job #1 to last job.

I'll amend my statement above to confine it to North American production as the photos Sheldon has provided are of a European frame.

Mart,

There were two versions of those reinforcements (in North American production). The first were attached outside the frame and could be fitted post production and the second were spot welded to the inside of the frame rails necessitating a shortening of the rear cross member. The first versions were used only very briefly and are rarely encountered on surviving frames.
evobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #23
evobuilder

Apologies.... I am always a little jumpy since soo many "attack" on the HAMB for just asking questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Sorry, my post was to indicate you inderd asked in the right forum, even if I didn't know your answer.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:22 PM   #24
Mart

The only other thing I can think of is a very small number of frames without the K member legs.

But the vast majority of frames are run of the mill, swaged rails, k members fully equipped, various strengtheners at the rear.

It's worth mentioning that for most frames, there is no difference between a V8 and a 4 cyl frame, either motor is compatible.

Just ask away, good people here, with a lot of knowledge.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #25
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Apologies.... I am always a little jumpy since soo many "attack" on the HAMB for just asking questions.
This is a little different environment than the HAMB! I like the HAMB, but some can be a bit abrasive over there, LOL.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #26
DavidG

Mart,

The initial leg-less center cross member was one of the three major versions that I cited in #9 above. There was a service campaign to add the legs, but it wasn't 100% effective as a handful of frames survive without them, including the two shown in the photos below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 787.jpg (147.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 111.jpg (77.9 KB, 124 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #27
evobuilder

A welcome change and I will definitly mind my Ps and Qs as ironically, I was being abrasive - won't happen again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
This is a little different environment than the HAMB! I like the HAMB, but some can be a bit abrasive over there, LOL.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #28
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Oh, and welcome to the Barn!
Old 08-14-2019, 11:47 PM   #29
evobuilder

in the end, I am most interested about the length, width and whether or not all 32 frames had the reveal on the frame rails or if some did not have the reveal design.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #30
JSeery
Member Emeritus

As David and others pointed out, no dimensional changes except minor stuff like the addition of the reinforcement on the outside of the frame (not common, so a non-issue). All U.S frames have reveal.

Last edited by JSeery; 08-15-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #31
TJ

Quote:
in the end, I am most interested about the length, width and whether or not all 32 frames had the reveal on the frame rails or if some did not have the reveal design.
if you are a '32 guy it would probably be very helpful to you if you purchased the two volume set of the 1932 Ford book published by the Early Ford V-8 Club of America. It is authored by Dave Rehor who is also known as "David G" on this forum. It's a fact filled set of books that will probably answer many of your current and future questions. You can purchase the set at; www.earlyfordv8.org.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #32
bluardun

Evobuilder; To answer your question. Yes all '32 passenger, pick-up, and station wagon basic frames are identical it length, width. They all have the lip on the bottom, and the reveal where the front fender bolt to the frame.
As all the discussion about early, mid year and late frames are correct, but the dementions remained the same. The 4 cylinder cars vin numbers began with B-500,001. The V-8 cars were stamped beginning with 18-000,001. But the frames were identical. Welcome to the Ford Barn.
bluardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #33
DavidG

bluardun,

A minor difference; the V-8 engine numbers in production vehicles start with 18-1, which Henry Ford stamped himself, complete with an upside down figure 8.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:02 AM   #34
Fortunateson

David, I think I may have asked you this once before but the old memory isnt up to OEM standards...

I have an early frame which has been "farmer engineered" after having the frame crack over the rear axles. Can I make up reinforcing plates and then spot weld and perimeter weld them to the inside? Can they be flat or would they need a top and bottom flange? The car will be full fenedered slightly rodded so could outside reinforcements be ok as well?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Fortunateson; 12-30-2020 at 03:08 AM.
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:06 AM   #35
DavidG

Fortunateson,

Boy, I sure can relate to your OEM memory reference!

Both the short-lived outside and the subsequent inside reinforcing plates were formed with flanges, top and bottom. Necessarily, the rear cross member was shortened slightly to accommodate the thickness of the inside reinforcement plates.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:10 AM   #36
PeteVS

Were differences in the steering box holes considered? (More upright steering column in pickups.)
Old 12-30-2020, 08:01 AM   #37
DavidG

For most of the '32 model year the three bolt holes in the frame rails for the attachment of the steering sector housing were round and the hole location in the steering sector housings differed to accommodate the two different steering column angles. Late in the model year the need for two different sector housings was eliminated by slotting the three holes in the frame rail. The sector arms remained unique for the two different column angles.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:01 PM   #38
Fortunateson

Thanks David. Now what was it I was asking about....? LOL. If I make my own would the flanges be required? Considering our modern roads and not the old roads/farmers fields would plates be ok? Also thinking of Boxing the frame over the rear axle as an alternative.
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:22 PM   #39
JSeery
Member Emeritus

As your not concerned about being 100% original, boxing might be the best approach.
Old 10-29-2023, 05:34 PM   #40
hb32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluardun View Post
Evobuilder; To answer your question. Yes all '32 passenger, pick-up, and station wagon basic frames are identical it length, width. They all have the lip on the bottom, and the reveal where the front fender bolt to the frame.
As all the discussion about early, mid year and late frames are correct, but the dementions remained the same. The 4 cylinder cars vin numbers began with B-500,001. The V-8 cars were stamped beginning with 18-000,001. But the frames were identical. Welcome to the Ford Barn.
I disagree with all having a “ lip “ on the bottom. I have one under my pickup, that is original with K member and rear cross member still with rivets, dimensions are bang on and has no reveal. The attached picture is from the 32 Ford Deuce by Tony Thacker page 17
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6880.jpg (34.8 KB, 57 views)
hb32 is offline   Reply With Quote