Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
PeteVS

Default Rear brake assembly ('48)

Had my first experience assembling Lockheed brakes today on a '48 rear. Of course, questions arose... I have the exploded view from Mac's website, but I'm not too sure if the two pins for the hand brake lever and the "L" piece go in from the "outside" or if the heads are on the "back side" of the shoes (heads facing the backing plate.) I put 'em in with the pin heads facing out and the "C" clips on the back towards the backing plate. Is this correct?
Also, does the spring washer go between the hand brake lever and the shoe? Somewhere else?
The spring clips seem to be somewhat diabolical. They fall out when you want them to stay in, etc. Is there a simple tool to hold them open as you install the shoes?
The hand brake cable I got from a well known supplier, has washers between the return spring and the crimped on ball. That washer is too big to feed through the tube in the backing plate. Should I grind it down to fit through, or whack it off.
Finally, the springs have a "free length" of 7-1/2" and they don't compress that much too easily. Should I trim them down to a certain length or do a "cut and try" thing if necessary.
Thanks for any help here!!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Rear brake assembly ('48)

Heads go toward backing plates; order of parts on upper pin is C-clip, washer, spring washer, lever, pin. Verified from exploded pic in '46 maintenance book.
The clips have always stayed put for me, but I have never used repros. I would opine that if there's a problem, they could be glued in place with weatherstrip adhesive, Permatex, or chewing gum. For holding open...again, I've never had a problem, but if I had a set that was too tight, a screwdriver or awl through the curved area would likely work and could then be slid out as the shoe web enters.
The cable problems and too-long spring have been detailed by Richard EV8...If you use advanced search, you can search within his posts and find the ones giving the dimensions that are needed to correct the blasted repros.
Oh, for the days when I could rummage through 55 gallon drums of genuine Ford brake parts at Joblot and never have to fight a bad fit!!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Richard (EV8G)

The springs on the handbrake cable are too heavy and too long and the washers have been too large, with some being ground down by the supplier, or
not, but the latest ones I have received from Mac's are ok, but the springs are
still too heavy and too long. I was supposed to send an original sample spring
to Mac's quite awhile ago so they could give it to the mfgr to match. The springs need to be shortened to at least 5-1/2" free length and maybe more.
It will be necessary to nip each offending coil off with diagonal cutters (tedious) until the spring is still long enough to perform its function, which is to
push the handbrake rear levers rearward when the handle is released, thus
keeping the ball-ends in the sockets on the levers. Because the springs are too heavy, it is necessary to make them only a little longer than the distance
involved between the rear ball/washer and the inner end of the tube in the
brake plate. The spring can then be compressed enough to install the 91A-2113 spring retainer onto the cable between the inner end of the tube and the
compressed spring remains. Cut a little of the spring off at a time until it will
"go" - if you cut it too short, you WILL be buying another cable etc.

Regarding the other stuff that Bruce covered, it is often necessary to place the
spring clip into it "recepticle" and then pry up on it to make enough clearance to slide the shoe web in - one of those jobs that requires 3 hands... else they
will fly out.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

A possible ally...Continental John over on the HAMB runs a factory of some sort that makes small springs. If he knew about this and got that sample spring, he might just run off a few hundred solutions.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
PeteVS

Richard:
Do you have some spring dimensions? I'd need wire diameter, OD, number of turns and free length. If springs were made with "plain" ends (NOT "SQUARED") they might be able to be assembled by "screwing" them onto the cable.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Richard (EV8G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
Richard:
Do you have some spring dimensions? I'd need wire diameter, OD, number of turns and free length. If springs were made with "plain" ends (NOT "SQUARED") they might be able to be assembled by "screwing" them onto the cable.
That is the info I was supposed to get for Mac's... been a little busy
and the road to .... is paved with good intentions... I will TRY to find
an original and provide measurements. As posted, would have to
screw the springs onto the cable.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
PeteVS

There are a few manufacturers of "standard" springs and they might have something in their catalogs that could be used. There might be another source as well.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
PeteVS

OK- I got the shoes, hand brake levers and all that stuff installed today. Secret was making a little tool out of 3/8" square stock about 8" long with a little notch cut in about half way through and about 1/4" from the end. Hook it onto the shoe clip and you can hold the clip open allowing easy installation of the shoe. Cut the hand brake cables down to about 5-1/2" long. Man, they're STIFF!!

PS: Anyone offhand know the size of the cotters for the lower shoe hold down plates? Thanks!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Just pick up cotters 72026-S at your local Ford dealer...If he's out of stock...
Blast. That number is not in the standard parts section in the '28-48, unless 26 shoulda was 62, so cannot readily decode. Only one catalog here at work. All out of info, but have a stack of brakes to check at home.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
Henry/Kokomo

I'd get an assortment and use the largest (dia.) one that would go through the hole. Cut to length, if required, and you're done.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:06 AM   #11
PeteVS

Measured lower brake anchor pin cross holes late yesterday. They accept a .140" diameter drill, so I'll get some 1/8" x 1" cotters.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:16 PM   #12
19Fordy

On Lockheed brakes the long shoe faces forward and so does the larger dia. of the brake cylinder. Here's the left front of 40 Ford.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6876smallLF.jpg (75.0 KB, 616 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #13
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
On Lockheed brakes the long shoe faces forward and so does the larger dia. of the brake cylinder. Here's the left front of 40 Ford.
2011 thread if you had not noticed
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:38 AM   #14
19Fordy

Opps! Got to pay better attention. Thanks.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 05-14-2020 at 01:07 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote