Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
Henry Hopper

Default Speedo accuracy..

I'm contemplating fitting 7" x16" tyres to the rear of a 36 Ford....I would really like to maintain an accurate speedometer due to today's speed cameras all over the place.

Is there a chart to show which gear drive wheels required to fit different application? I only want to do it once and not be "trial and erroring" with different gears.I can't be the only one this swap so I'm guessing the info is out there somewhere, or is it not possible with the gears available?

The car is totally factory stock.

TIA.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #2
drolston

Default Re: Speedo accuracy..

What is the current rear tire diameter and what will be the new tire diameter?

A 1" increase in tire diameter would cause the speedometer to read about 4% low; like indicating 48 when you are driving 50. You probably have a 19 tooth gear in the speedometer turtle. If you changed to an 18 tooth gear that would bring the indicated speed up to 51.

It is an easy enough change, but probably not worth the trouble.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Gps?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #4
TagMan

If you have GPS or a "smart phone" with a GPS app, it will show your exact speed and you can compare it to your speedometer reading.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #5
Henry Hopper

I've thought of using a gps to see what the speedo reads but I would like if possible to dial it in using mechanical parts.

The tyre size chart shows a 3" increase in diameter when fitting 7" tyres over the 6""versions.....any brainiacs able to crunch the numbers with this info? 30.94" and 27.91" respectively.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:11 PM   #6
drolston

That is a very large increase in tire diameter. Do you know what speedometer gear is in your car. It is cast into the top of the speedometer gear housing (turtle). It is probably 19 but could be 18, depending on what rear end gear ratio the car was delivered with.

The tire diameter change you are making would lower the indicated speed by 9%, which is substantial. If you have a 19 tooth speedometer gear and change to the smallest available (17 tooth), that would bring the indication back up by 11.8%. So instead of reading way low, the speedometer would indicate slightly fast.

Changing to a 17 tooth Model A gear would require an 18 tooth turtle, which Mac's sells.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #7
jake197000

you could get a speedo gear box made up to go between cable and turtle if you had to.
jake197000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:43 PM   #8
34fordy

There are numerous internet sites that calculate speeds for tire changes. Most have a small percentage increase in tire size before serious effects on the stopping power of the brakes. I would think mechanical brakes would be affected more than newer hydraulic shoe or disc brakes.
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:32 PM   #9
Talkwrench

Without going to too much trouble, get a GPS and figure three speeds . I do 60 - 80 -100 kph [for Aust] and then I stick little arrows on the speedo. This should get you close enough at the speeds you need.
You guys have speed cameras??!! I though we were the only place that ripped people off!
Old 11-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #10
Dave Castle

I just use my wife's smart phone, downloaded a speedo ap 4 free.
Dave Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:18 AM   #11
Henry Hopper

Yes it seems a big jump in diameter for an extra inch in width.....I can't check anything as yet as the car is in transit to me.I intend changing the rear tyres purely for asthetic reasons..I've had several early V8 Fords and the skinny tyre in the rear arches always bugs me.If I need to buy turtles / gears it means sending to the U.S. for them so I want to get it right from the off, otherwise it entails mailing parts and tha can get expensive real quick.

Torque wrench, we have the stationery GATSO cameras that you can slow down to pass and have the sneaky camera vans that park way up the road to zap you but the latest is average speed cameras...they measure your average speed between two cameras set quite a distance apart..they make hundreds of thousands of £s on the motorways where they place them through roadworks and we have just had some fitted out on the back roads where the Sunday motorcycles ride.....all done in the name of safety of course lol.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:59 AM   #12
weemark

I have 6.50s on my car and even though i've got a 18tooth gear in the speedo its out by about 5mph. I have a 17 tooth gear sitting on my desk I need to fit to but I think the reading is too far out to be corrected by installing the 17 tooth gear. I tend to use my phone for an accurate speed when I can be bothered.

I got my gears from miles @ jackhammer, I didn't want to pay postage for a single item to the UK so got the gears via miles.
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #13
papanick

There is one way to set your speed in side the speedo. You have to brake the speedo down and there is a little slider that put more spring on the shaft. The more the spring the slower the reading the lest the spring the higher the reading. If you mach you speedo to a gps and see how far your speed is off then mack your speedo to that reading. What i do is put the speedo on my tester and if the speed was off 12 mile to slow i would set the speedo to run 12 miles faster.
papanick is online now   Reply With Quote