Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-04-2019, 06:31 AM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Reproduction vs. original 1928 Headlamp Socket Assemblies

Have been in contact with three major Model A Repro parts houses and have asked about the 1928 Headlamp Socket Assemblies and all tell me that they are poor quality and would not spend the money on them (but they still offer them for sale).

OK...That being said, just what is it that makes them the "poor quality" for which they say?

What is making them "poor quality" besides being reproduction and more than likely, made overseas?

Some of you may have purchased these units...what kind of trouble did you find with them?

Also to, in relation to this part but compairing ORIGINAL units...the part where the bulb connects, that is the upper part of the unit, is it the same item for all years OR was the 1928 "upper" socket assembly different than the 1929-1931 "upper" socket assembly and in what way? All I know is that they both accept just two wires.

We know the "lower" socket assembly is different for sure...the 1928 part is smaller than the 1929-1931 part.

Thanks.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:44 AM   #2
29spcoupe

Default Re: Reproduction vs. original 1928 Headlamp Socket Assemblies

I had to put paper linings in the sockets to prevent the contacts inside from grounding out against the side of the socket. Without the paper it was a dead short.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:07 AM   #3
KR500

Pluck, Mark Maron did a great article on redoing, including the repros, the socket assemblies this past year in the Model A News. I believe he reduces the larger diameter of the contacts which the bulb contacts touch tp prevent shorting on sides of the socket.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #4
Badpuppy

H-type and Twolite lamps used different bulbs. The early bulbs centered the high beam filament on the bulb axis, with the low beam 1/8" above. The contacts are oriented vertically when installed in the car. The later bulbs placed the two filaments 1/16" above and below the axis; contacts horizontal in the car. Obviously the lamp sockets are different between the two. Socket sleeves in the early reflectors are concentric, while those in the Twolite reflectors should have the 1/16 elevation to compensate for the filament offset. (The two reflector types may be interchanged if necessary, with minor beam height adjustment.)

Since the vendors claim the bulbs they sell fit all years, I have to wonder if their repro early sockets have been modified for the later bulbs.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote