Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
Dbug725

Default 1953 Ford starter issue

I'm putting together a slightly modified Ford engine. I'm having trouble with the bendix grinding against the flywheel..in other words, the gear seems to be binding on the ring gear teeth. The starter was rebuilt, but I actually just replaced the 6 volt starter with a second good starter and I got the same result. I'm assuming the worst, since I can't seem to solve the problem Should I assume that the ring gear is not pushed the whole way onto the flywheel? The weird thing is, the ring gear was never replaced as far as I know and the engine started fine before. Yes, I'm running 12 volts to the six volt starter, and no, the starter shafts aren't bent. I've already spent two weeks trying to track down this issue. Maybe a 12 volt starter for the flathead might help? I hate to keep throwing money away when I can't seem to diagnose the problem. Oh, by the way, the stop on the bendix drive shows fresh marks indicating that it is indeed rubbing somewhere when trying to engage. The engine is tight from the rebuild, but can be turned by hand without too much trouble using my 1/2in drive breaker bar. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

?
Dbug725 is offline   Reply With Quote