Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
[email protected]

Default IT LIVES!!!!!! finally.

That's right, after 8 months of blood, sweat, grease, oil, anxiety, depression and catching a whole lot of sh_t from people, it's alive. It started under it's own power and ran very good. But what's most important of all is the fact it ran on the magneto.

Tomorrow I have to go out and adjust the low transmission band. I've got it a little two tight and I'm struggling to find neutral. I knew it was too tight to begin with but what the heck. I also need a radiator mounting kit put in it. After working on the '26 and knowing what the mounting is supposed to look like I need to do something with it. I'm missing springs and some cup shaped thingies and I don't know what else. So farmallcub49 I'll be talking to you soon.

The only thing that concerns me now is that there's an extra "click" coming from the magneto area and I can't determine what it is. It may have been there before I started working on the car but I don't remember. The car runs excellent and has really good power. The magneto works great and there's no leaks that I can see. When I got back from the "break-in run" there was some steam coming from the radiator but it didn't concern me too much because I knew I'd overfilled it.

So all in all I'm very satisfied with how thing turned out. The car starts, runs and handles excellent. Once I finish a few adjustments it's ready for the tour circuit.

And now I'm going to go burn some pork chops and open another beer. God bless ya'll and good night.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
1949FORD

Default Re: IT LIVES!!!!!! finally.

Congrats man!
1949FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
ppat324

Mike...you finally got my car running!! My "HERO"!!! LOL

Congrats and happy for you!! ppat
ppat324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
yachtsmanbill

Well HALAFRIGGINLUYA!!! What a relief that must be! Dont get carried away on the bands. They need to glaze a little before a final (!?) adjustment.
After your confidence is re-established and you can let it sit and run for a while, check the MAG output. I havent done mine yet but it sure works. I really need to test it with a known good set of coils. If its bum coils, the distrubalator goes on.
On those cup thingies, take a prick (!) and scoure the holes and blow hard on them. Put the cup thingies in the hole and drive them in with a 5/16 bolt. If yer doing the lower front shackle one, youll need to bar and block that side up for clearance. I can barely open mine, but enough, to put oil in. The king pin cups are 3/8. You did put that screen and magnet in right?
Steam is good. That means theres still some water in it! LOL... Wheres the pics and you tubes ??????? ws
Old 05-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
[email protected]

The cup things are for the radiator. I'm in good shape on the front end grease cups and all that. But when the last owner put the radiator together things must have created some problems for him because he threw some of the radiator mounting springs and spring cups away. It was pretty typical for the work he did.

I've got a real good feeling about the magneto. I'll check it as soon as I can. As far as the bands go; they've got about half a summers worth of wear on them already. I changed them last July or August. I bought kevlar from Andy and spent about 2 days with Andy's help learning how to put them in. Now changing bands on any car doesn't scare me. I learned a lot of tricks that makes it pretty easy. I think I could change a set of bands in less than 40 minutes. Or am I thinking 40 hours? Oh and the screen and magnet was something I did last summer when I put the new bands in. The car really runs good. It was fun to drive it again. I probably put about 5 miles on tonight. The first thing I did was fill the tank up with gas. And of course I wanted to take off and drive it some more but sure as hell some guy wanted to tell me all about how his Dad hated Model Ts and really liked his Pierce Arrow and yadda yadda yadda. But what the heck. He wasn't too much of a problem.

Now I've got 2 cars to drive on tour on the 30th.

As luck would have it, I wanted to spend an overnight at our show in Farmington on the 10th this month and then spend overnight in Bemidji for that tour. I knew I was going to be playing it pretty close because of the trip to Wisconsin but today I got the bill for my house insurance and it's due before the end of June. So Farmington will be spent sleeping in the truck. Bemidji is completely out of the question and the trip to Wisconsin is going to be a quick get there, load up and turn around and head for home. So I'll get there as early as I can, grab some tater salad and hit the road. I know you want to try out the coils and I'll bring them with but we're going to have to get them in and try them and get them back out. I've also got a humoungous bill with Andy that has to be taken care of too. So I'm in a financial hurtin'. I actually wish I hadn't told you I wanted to buy the lathe but I did tell you I want it and it's true I do so I've got to figure some way of making things work. And I have some options. But now it's time for a little milk and a couple cookies.
Let's go.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
mike peterson

when and were is the tour in bemidji ?
mike peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
[email protected]

Saturday June 23 The GNMTC (Great Northern Model T Club) is having their annual club tour in the Bemidji area.
Let's go.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Jack Innes

Congratulatios! Great to hear that it is running again.

You will find the kit for the rad mounting is a little different for the 20 - 25 cars than the 26 -27. They both go together about the same though - see
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/up...tions-5022.pdf for a good illustration.
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
Doug Money

I had an extra click like that, it was the oil funnel hitting the flywheel bolt.
Doug Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
[email protected]

Thanks Jack. It's very similar and when I looked last night they're not overly expensive.
Let's go.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Money View Post
I had an extra click like that, it was the oil funnel hitting the flywheel bolt.
Thanks Doug. I think I have had that click since last summer when I bought the car. I'm pretty sure it's a loose valve. I always expect to hear some valve noise from these old engines because the old guys like grandpa and my Dad always figured you had to hear them to know they weren't too tight. I guess they didn't realize that a tight valve would let you know it was there. So I'm going to go ahead and take the valve cover off and do a little exploratory research and see what I can find out. It's funny how I'm getting farther and farther into this car and finding out how much the guy who "restored" it didn't know, but somehow kept it running and on the road. He bought the thing in the Fifties so it wasn't like it was something he couldn't afford to rebuild right He only wanted it for parades, but he definitely showed his ignorance for the Model T's by the work he did. And I'm not much better but I have been able to correct a lot of things. So I'm making some adjustments as time goes by and I'm getting excited to get her out on the road and do something cruising.
Let's go.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
fordman67

Dang it Mike...you are killing me here.i guess i shall get back on mine.i finally got rid of my bosses car and have been looking at the ol T all forlorn and all...maybe i can redeem myself.CONGRATS on the ol gal doing well for you.
Aaron
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #13
[email protected]

Hey Aaron, the last thing we need is a T owner having the blues and feeling forlorn. I do enough of that for all of us. I found out this past winter you don't have to put in 10 hours a day. 1-3 hours a day is good and you wouldn't believe how much work you'll get done. I learned a lot this last winter. We have some real experts on this forum and without them I'd still be dead in the water. I'd have no fear tearing into another transmission. I can't say I have the best transmission around but it works and my original goal of getting my magneto working was a complete success. And in the middle of everything else I got my '26 sedan running really good.

Today I went on a cruise and took the touring car. By the end of the tour, of approximately 65 miles from my doorstep and back, I learned what needs to be worked on next. First I need to tear into the manifolds and make sure there straight and get new gaskets put in. Andy Loso listened to the motor today and thought the manifolds could be leaking. So new gaskets are in order. Then I've suspected the third member and driveshaft/ujoints were hurting. So the direction now is to make these repairs and get the old girl in better shape. Until then I'll drive the sedan. It's always nice to have a second string to put into the game.

The month of June is unbelievably busy. Between visits to the Minneapolis and St Cloud VA Medical Centers and Model T events I'm pretty sure I'll have little time to spare. I'm going to yachtsmanbill's for a couple days next week. As it turned out I've become a pickup/delivery service. I'm the link between Minnesota and Wisconsin. I'm headed over there with a spare tire carrier for Bill and bringing back a metal lathe for me and a set of rolling centers for balancing drums for Andy.

The one thing I really want to do this summer is drive my sedan from St Cloud up to my brothers house in Grand Rapids. I'm not sure of the mileage but I'm certain it's over 150 miles one way. I believe the sedan can make it and I'll feel pretty good about the achievement.

So now I'm going to go over and post a youtube video on the
'Hey Trivers (Two Rivers) here's one for ya'thread. I put one on there the other day of a walkaround on my two T's. Todays will show part of the tour we were on. It's actually showing a stop we made when one of our friends locked up the engine on his T. It just all of a sudden started knocking and then it quit. I tried turning the crank and she was locked. The video is at the end of the stop when they were just going to push the car off the road. It was kind of a sad time not only because of the locked engine but also because it was in one of the most beautiful little roadsters you'll ever see. So if you get time check it out.
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-30-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
fordman67

Well,i have just been down.I have gotten nothing done and just have not had any will.I need to be on here everyday. Maybe then i can make some steam.my main roadblock now is this stupid cummins truck needs to get sold and leave. I will be around!
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #15
[email protected]

Sounds good Aaron. Make sure you stay in touch.

Today is the kind of day a retired. Man lives for. Sunny, warm, and low humidity.
Let's go.