Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
racemo

Angry Help - Transmission

In a restoration program, I rebuilt engine and transmission. Both are mounted in the chassis but, the engine has not been started. In an attempt to adjust trans bands discovered the assembly to be locked in high gear. Cannot get the clutch to release. Clutch fingers are backed of and the discs will not release. Any ideas of the cause of lock up?

Thanks for any suggestions, I'm beside my self fearing a complete tear down.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: Help - Transmission

Its a little early, so I hope I have this right LOL!

If I understand you correctly, the clutch fingers backed off 100% will cause a full engagement of the clutch pack on the spring. When you pull up on the lever the cam on the shaft should engage the clutch release arm through the hogshead putting pressure ON the fingers, while simultaneously causing the low speed pedal to travel forward around an inch or so into the neutral position.
I am assuming the fingers are the three with cotter pins through slotted screws? Is the release fork in the correct slot on the finger contact ring (I call it a throw out bearing). ws

yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Farmallcub49

Did the three pins on the push ring go thru the driven plate holes under the clutch fingers? The clutch fingers need to be tightened down so the spring is two inches in height when compressed, this should have been done when you reassembled the transmission. Will is right on with the rest of his assessment.
Farmallcub49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
yachtsmanbill

WHEW!! I wasnt too sure exactly how to answer that, but it sounded kinda fishy.... I take a lot for granted and part of that was the install on the triple pin plate. Itll be a good trick to get that done in place... possible? ws

yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
[email protected]

I was lucky enough to have that 3 pin "pusher" ring get out of align when I put my trans together the first time around. I ended up dismantling things to make them right and I was still nervous when I put it together again. So when I put the hogs head on I was real concerned with the bronze yoke in the hogshead and making sure I got them riding in the right place on the clutch. When I first looked at this thread my first guess was the bronze yoke. The only other area that I thought might be an issue was the linkage on the brake lever.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
racemo

Thanks guys for the many suggestions. They made me stop and consider the probables. Yep, I was bitten by the Common mistake even when I was so sure it was not my case! After removing the H/H, a dental mirror let me look into a finger adjusting screw hole. Sure enough there were NO push pins inserted in the finger screw holes. Just clamping the clutch Plate down jammed the disc package solid. For other rebuilders, be ware. It is so easy to overlook.

Thanks all.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
yachtsmanbill

Ya know some old T mechnanic made up a spring compresser for the clutch spring and al the other goodies to do this in place. That was a 45 minute job by the book and cost the owner $1.25 (in 1930 maybe!) Do you think it can be done in olace? If not, at least the flywheel wont hafta come off. Whats the outlook?? ws