Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2023, 02:02 AM   #1
German guy

Default changing batery location

Anyone out there consider moving the battery to a more accessible location (1930 Tudor)...such as under the hood? Ideas...anyone?

Also...based on a recent roadside ignition failure apparently caused by the add-on fuse at the starter motor...all power went out to all lights when that 10 amp fused failed. Not great for safety if that happened when it is dark ...no blinkers or lights of any kind worked. Considering adding a discreet 4-6 fuse box to the car to keep lights working even when the fuse on the starter fails. Suggestions? Location? Is there a reason why that fuse is on the starter instead of anywhere else? Should I simply (probably a bad word choice) eliminate the starter fuse and wire the battery main wire (negative) to the fuse box with a fuse for the starter...or is a fuse for the starter even necessary as it does not protect the starter itself? That fuse shuts down everything except the starter...including the ignition coil...so even though the starter turns there can be no spark.

Sorry for so many questions and using all of the expertise on this site as a crutch. I am a newbie to pre-war classics.

Last edited by German guy; 10-11-2023 at 02:49 AM.
German guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 03:45 AM   #2
Bruce of MN

Default Re: changing batery location

Some have added a fuse box. The starter would be fed directly by the standard cable from the battery and a 12 AWG wire from the starter could feed the new fuse box.

To convert US AWG wire sizes, this can be used: https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/awg-to-mm.html
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 05:48 AM   #3
German guy

Hey, thanks a lot for the quick reply. Makes sense. I will probably run the wire straight up the firewall from the starter to the fuse box. I found a pretty nifty very small..low profile fuse box that flashes an LED to ID the blown fuse. It holds 6 of the modern mini-fuses...which are far more available here than the old glass models. As I am adding fuses, I am exiting the ethereal realm of "authentic" anyway. My goal is to get everything up to standard in time to drive it to Epernay (Champagne), France in March '24. 315km which normally takes me 3.5 hours but with the "A" will probably take 8 or more since I will stay off of highways and pass through every tiny village. 8 hours at one go seems a bit much for my 93 year old toy. Should be a great drive if I can develop enough confidence in the car's reliability. I might add a precautionary overnight close to the halfway point and visit the Bugatti factory and museum.

Thanks again for the assist.

Last edited by German guy; 10-11-2023 at 05:58 AM.
German guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 05:49 AM   #4
nkaminar

Keep the battery where it is and use a maintenance free battery. Use a 30 amp circuit breaker instead of the fuse. Add a fuse box to run accessories including lights. Marine supply houses have very nice fuse boxes. Mount the fuse box on the engine side of the firewall with a magnet so you don't have to drill any holes. Keep the wiring neat and tidy and label the fuses.

While I was typing you responded with a neat fuse box. I like that it has LED indicators.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 06:38 AM   #5
ronn

I recently bought a slant cab and the battery was mounted on top of the rear bumpers, with a board running across.
I was going to put it back in its reg stay, but the cables were miles long. My pass runningbd had some rot towards the rear, so I swung the cables up through the runningboard and mounted the battery there. I plan on putting a nice box over the batt.
Since I have a spare set of new boards, I saw no harm in doing this with the damaged board. I must say I love the accessibility.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 11:34 AM   #6
Jim Brierley

Batteries under the hood look dorky, I put it under the right rear corner of the bed on my '31 pickup. It's harder to get at, but it only needs attention every few years. My cut-off switch is mounted at the battery, not as convenient but very effective.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 11:17 AM   #7
ModelA29

The Optima battery is smaller and can even be mounted on its side opening up many possibilities.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 12:24 PM   #8
Y-Blockhead

Another option is to leave the battery under the floor but install this kit https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/p...7804&cat=41699 that allows you to remove half the floor board.

Most run a 30 amps fuse in the holder, not 10 amps.

I also have a hidden fuse box under the gas tank that bolts to the back side of the junction box to protect my accessories (turn signals, Sport Light, fog lights, wipers, ignition, etc.). The headlight circut has it's own 20amp circuit breaker.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-10-13 at 3.10.33 PM.jpg (13.3 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-10-13 at 3.09.29 PM.jpg (14.9 KB, 381 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 10-13-2023 at 05:21 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 04:17 PM   #9
David in San Antonio

I also run a 30 amp fuse. It has blown when I had a short circuit in the headlight circuit, so I know it does work.
Alamo A’s Club
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 04:58 PM   #10
Charlie Stephens

When I look under the hood of a Model A there are two things I hate to see. The first is a battery and the second is an alternator, but that is just me.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 10:01 PM   #11
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
When I look under the hood of a Model A there are two things I hate to see. The first is a battery and the second is an alternator.....

Let me add a third one. My car has a pressure radiator and the guy hung one of those $3 plastic tanks on the firewall. I bought one of the stainless ones and painted it black to help hide it. I had to stick with the plastic fan due to no clearance for the 2 blade aluminum I had bought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old.jpg (95.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg new.jpg (62.2 KB, 82 views)
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 08:37 AM   #12
ronn

Charlie, I agree. Hate to see an alternator under the hood.

destroys the "look"

same with the plastic overflow.......... but then again, I only like 19 and 21 whls.
Old 10-14-2023, 09:43 AM   #13
JoeCB

I think that back in the days of Model A's being utilitarian vehicles, like late 40's and 50"s, relocating batteries to the firewall was common. my 31 coupe has a nice line of rust pits across the left side of the firewall where a battery once resided.
Joe B
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 11:28 PM   #14
CWPASADENA

I use Optima Batteries. I install them under the floorboards and forget about them for the next 10 years or more.

Personally, I would not have a battery hung on the firewall, but this is just my opinion.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 12:02 AM   #15
Synchro909

[QUOTE=Y-Blockhead;2262384][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Another option is to leave the battery under the floor but install this kit https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/p...7804&cat=41699 that allows you to remove half the floor board.

There they go again talking about the floor board on the passenger side. The battery is on the passenger side! Why they don't refer to right and left side, I don't know. Can be quite confusing at times.
Old 10-17-2023, 08:37 AM   #16
Badpuppy

Ozzies are determined and resourceful. Doesn't matter which side it's called. They'll grope about and discover it eventually.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 09:27 AM   #17
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
There they go again talking about the floor board on the passenger side. The battery is on the passenger side! Why they don't refer to right and left side, I don't know. Can be quite confusing at times.
I agree
Old 10-19-2023, 05:08 PM   #18
ronn

and forget about them for the next 10 years

If youre lucky enough to get a good Optima. Ive had both..........
Old 10-20-2023, 06:25 AM   #19
nkaminar

Starboard and Port. Right and left depends on whether you are inside looking forward or outside looking at the front of the car. Starboard and Port stays with the car (or boat) and right and left stays with the observer.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 02:56 PM   #20
troubadour85

I've been happy with my Optima mounted flat in the original location for 3 trouble free years now. It fits just right in the frame rail.
troubadour85 is offline   Reply With Quote