Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
j_macy

Default Model T HELP

Hello All

We have a 1912 touring with a recently rebuilt engine and transmission. It was converted to a Model A crankshaft, with a high flow intake and a new NH carb. The problem is the engine does not perform as though we think it should. The throttle is responsive until opened up half way...(running on the road)...after that there is nothing more. When observed under the hood the butterfly appears to open all the way when the lever is pulled all the way down. In comparing this car with another one we have a 25 touring which to the best of my knowledge has never been opened, the 12 is marginally faster but not much.....like I say there is hardly any difference....lastly the engine is balanced as well......It does not run hot, however it is occasinally difficult to start when cold.......This was not a shadetree rebuild it was in fact a rebuild by one of the most well respected rebuilders in the industry.....Any thoughts?? How should a T with a A crank operate?
j_macy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Doug Money

Default Re: Model T HELP

Model A crank isn't going to give lots of horsepower. It started at 20 and with what you mentioned it probably is in the 25 range? Just my .02.
Doug Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
redmodelt

I hope you are not saying that you used a 1912 block to build this motor? It's a Model T, how fast do you need to go? How fast are you going? Which head are you using? What's your compression ratio? Did you put bigger valves in? A larger intake will only help so much if you have the stock sized valves. Which cam are you using? Are you running good HCCT tested coils off a strong magneto or off battery, 6 volt battery will limit your ramp up time to fire the coils so will limit your top speed some, 12 volts is better but magneto is best. A balanced engine and transmission will give a smooth running unit but that does not mean more power.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
j_macy

running Ford 302 valves with a stock cam, stock head with high compression pistons
Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
[email protected]

Here's what might seem to be a couple odd questions for you. Are you performing a test to see how many different answers you can get from multiple threads? Are you going to tell all the changes you've made to the engine in one thread or are you going to offer up bits and pieces over time? What is it you're attempting to accomplish?
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
j_macy

somehow it got posted twice the compter froze and showed nothing posted then I reposted....Not sure how to remove a thread once it is posted

A 1916 block was used...for the rebuild
Old 05-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
[email protected]

Smile Re: Model T HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_macy View Post
somehow it got posted twice the compter froze and showed nothing posted then I reposted....Not sure how to remove a thread once it is posted

A 1916 block was used...for the rebuild
For what it's worth, if you look down on the bottom of your post once you put it in the thread you'll notice you have the opportunity to "edit" what's been written. Once you've gone into the edit mode look down below the posting and you'll actually find an opportunity exists to delete your post.

Please forgive me if I came off a little blunt with my previous post. Sometimes I get into a mood and take it out on people that are really only trying to get some information but might make an error on their postings.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
b67

You can only get so much air throgh an NH. A straight through NH will give you a little more. After that a Stromberg OF will give you a little more, and then its onto up draft carburetors such as the Model A's or a host of others such as the strombergs. There are many period correct up draft carbs and manifolds for the T.
b67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
J Franklin

How fast are you trying to go?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote