Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2023, 09:43 PM   #1
The "A" Team

Default 1930 Model A Coupe roof installation

I have everything set up to install the vinyl roof. the chicken wire is in place and I have the batting and vinyl ready to go. Unfortunately, the instructions that came with the roof kit are not very precise and I only found about 2 semi good videos that show roof installations. One of the biggest questions I have, is if the hidem goes all the way around the roof like a circle, or does it go around like a "U" with a strip going across the front and down the front sides a few inches with an attached finial cap piece at the end?

​​​​​​​I don't remember seeing the hidem strip going across and down the front edges with a cap back in the day when my father was driving it, and I don't see a hole for the cap nail in the top, but I guess I could be wrong.

Last edited by The "A" Team; 08-21-2023 at 09:48 PM.
The "A" Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 06:38 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 1930 Model A Coupe roof installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The "A" Team View Post
I have everything set up to install the vinyl roof. the chicken wire is in place and I have the batting and vinyl ready to go. Unfortunately, the instructions that came with the roof kit are not very precise and I only found about 2 semi good videos that show roof installations. One of the biggest questions I have, is if the hidem goes all the way around the roof like a circle, or does it go around like a "U" with a strip going across the front and down the front sides a few inches with an attached finial cap piece at the end?

​​​​​​​I don't remember seeing the hidem strip going across and down the front edges with a cap back in the day when my father was driving it, and I don't see a hole for the cap nail in the top, but I guess I could be wrong.

Yes, you have been misled greatly. Hopefully it was not from those YouTube videos (-because many of them post incorrect information)

To begin with, the "chicken wire" was not used on the 45B body. It only used Duckdrill as the foundation. Second, Hidem was not originally used as the top mouldings. You really need to use the original style mouldings so it can properly pinch the leatherette against the A-47222/23-B Side Rails to seal it from water entering the cabin.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 08:28 AM   #3
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Yes, you have been misled greatly. Hopefully it was not from those YouTube videos (-because many of them post incorrect information)

To begin with, the "chicken wire" was not used on the 45B body. It only used Duckdrill as the foundation. Second, Hidem was not originally used as the top mouldings. You really need to use the original style mouldings so it can properly pinch the leatherette against the A-47222/23-B Side Rails to seal it from water entering the cabin.
I've heard of duck, and I've heard of drill, but duckdrill is a new one. Drill is stretchier than duck, I believe.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 09:32 AM   #4
CT Jack

I used an aluminum trim on my 31 coupe. See Bert's A-38440 for reference. I used 3 pieces, 1 for each side and rear, and 1 for the front. This required bending or forming the aluminum to match the curve or radius at each rear corner. The ends met at the center of the rear straight section. I made a wood jig to preform the radius in the trim before installing. This worked very well and ends up being a good seal with all the nail heads hidden. After installation the trim was painted body color.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 02:28 PM   #5
rotorwrench

Black duck is a heavy cotton canvas material. The old European spelling of the duck term was different but it is pronounced just like the game bird name is spelled so the change has been around for several centuries. Not all duck canvas is died black but Ford used a lot of it in the black form.

Drill is another form with a twill weave that gives it more strength and durability. Some folks don't use the drill term when describing canvas but it is a common used term. Drill refers to the weave and duck is a more general term for canvas material.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-22-2023 at 02:35 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 11:29 PM   #6
JoeCB

At risk of hijacking the thread... I searched the referenced Bert's A-38440 aluminum molding and am curious as to how that molding is secured and finished? Drilled and nailed thru I suspect, then how to close/seal the top gap? When I did my 31 coupe way back in the 60's I used aluminum half round molding, formed to fit , drilled and nailed flush. Looks OK for me and no leaks 50 years later.
Joe B
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 03:38 PM   #7
rotorwrench

There is a good article about roof trim in one of the Restorer series of manuals. MAFCA has copies of the table of contents for each volume on their web site.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote