Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
Smitty

Default Modern Shocks

Has anyone used the modern shock kit? How well do they work?
My shocks were rebuilt 3 years ago by on of the best in the country. They are all leaking and not working.

Thanks, Steve
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
Brian SATX

Default Re: Modern Shocks

James Taylor in San Antonio sells a kit that just bolts on, no drilling. Our club members have several of his kits on our cars. It works fine. PM me if you want his number.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
gilitos

After spending megabucks on new 'stock' shocks and having them go south in a few thousand miles I finally went to tube shocks. Firm ride, handles like a dream, feels so secure and tracks so straight. Don't like the look, though: the rears are fine, but the fronts hang down a few inches below the front axle where you can see them. Someone else mentioned a source of rebuilt originals for $75 each; this would be just a bit cheaper than what I paid for the modern shocks.

What are other members experiences with the longevity of rebuilt original shocks?

Giles in Cincinnati
gilitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
1931 flamingo

Shock kit, unused for sale on AHOOGA parts site yesterday or today.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Model A Man

I have modern shocks on my roadster and would never do it again. the ride is so ruff that it will knock your teeth out. I am thinking of trying friction shocks next
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
Barry B./ Ma.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Yes, I had them on my roadster and I agree, no give at all in the front. I took the front ones off and replaced them with originals, the ride was much improved. Surprisingly the rear moderns work pretty well so I still have them on.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
1931 flamingo

Tube shocks come in different rates, you need to find something compatable with weight on front end. Possibly somebody on the EV8 board (modified A type vehicle) or the HAMB could suggest something compatable?
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
john in illinois

The hard riding shocks are gas pressurized. Snyder's has a kit with non pressure hydraulic units. They ride smooth and have good control. I have used them 4 years in my Tudor.

Last edited by john in illinois; 11-05-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: post picture<a href="http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii283/ydopen2008/?action=view&current=P1010014.jpg" target="_blank"><
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
Logan

ken davis sells a set of modern shock kits. You have to drill a hole in the front axle, but it is much more (i guess the correct word would be) solid. The bracket will never break. however on the bracket systems that just rap around the front axle, those have 4 corners where the brackets could break. And i have seen them break before. You can get contact info at kendavismodela.com and kens are NOT the gas pressurized ones.

Last edited by Logan; 11-05-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
John LaVoy

Several years ago we reviewed the available shocks in the Model A Times At the time we recommended rebuilding originals, because they are adjustable. The new ones from Bill Stipe are adjustable and another way to go.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
Smitty

Anyone had first hand experience with Bill Stipe's shocks? They are not cheap, but if they will do the job and last....
Old 11-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
Smitty

Barry, Did we ever bump into each other at New England Meet?
Do you know Doug in Southbridge
Old 12-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #13
Curt Cowan

I bought 4 rebuilt original-type shocks from an Oregon outfit about 4 years ago. I have put about 30,000 mi. on the car in that time; some over pretty rough roads. One after the other, these shocks broke or leaked so I have replaced all of them. (One replacement leaked within a few weeks after I installed it.) The only positive thing I can say is that the company readily replaced them free-of-charge. But, what good is that if they don't last? I think the most I got out of them was 5 or 6000 miles. I'm looking for a good rebuilder now, but I want to talk to some one who has really had several thousand miles of experience with the rebuilt ones. I understand from one entry on Ford Barn that a John Holland in OH (330) 483-3986 has done rebuilds that have lasted several years (but how many miles?)
Curt Cowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
Bill Stipe

Hi Guy’s
I know sometimes it’s a hard decision to make on parts to upgrade our old cars we drive. I have been down the same road many of you have. I had tube shocks on my Tudor sedan and they where the better ones not the gas filled ones but the ride was too rough mainly in the front but if I had had passengers in the back and road over a large bump it almost flipped them thought the roof.
I decided to buy the only reproduction original looking ones available at the time and with in 1500 miles they started to fail, leaking oil and no resistance at all. I made the mistake of buying 2 sets one for the sedan and one for my pickup truck and with in 6 months I had just thrown my money away.
I then decided to manufacture shocks the correct way for myself and anyone else that may have had bad experience like me and wanted to install something good. I know for all of us $249.00 apiece seems like a lot but there is a lot of work in one of these little bricks with all the pieces that have to be machined and assembled with great precision in order for them to work correctly.
But after receiving this letter from a customer I realized it was well worth all my days and nights of hard work building them.
Here is what he had to say and you may note this persons previous job. It made me take notice and got my attention because this person has been down the road with experience in this sort of thing.

Subject: Letter to Bill Stipe
To: [email protected]
Date: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 10:57 AM
: Bill Stipe, President 2/11/10
Stipe Machine Co. Inc
Dear Bill,
I’m writing this letter to give you feedback on the Model A shocks that you sold me last October. Since then, I have driven many miles with the new Stipe shocks which replaced a set of original ‘rebuilt’ Model A shocks. The original ‘rebuilt’ shocks that I removed had less than 200 driving miles.
While the new Stipe shocks look like originals their performance did not compare in any way to the ‘original’ rebuilt units. The Stipe shocks are by far the best single upgrade that I have made to my Model A including major upgrades to engine, transmission, steering and brakes. Your shocks make the vehicle smooth and rock solid under all driving conditions including speeds up to 65 miles per hour.
In retrospect, the previous shocks, rebuilt originals, were practically useless.
Thanks for selling your shocks to me and making my Model A a dream to drive.

Jim Clarke
Director of Advanced Powertrain (retired)
North American and European Operations
Ford Motor Company

Last edited by Bill Stipe; 12-08-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Bill Stipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #15
Kahuna

What is the guarantee/warranty on the Stipe shocks?
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #16
MrTube

Has anyone used the friction style shocks? I see Snyders has them for around $400 a set. I'm curious how they compare to the standard shocks and modern ones as well.

Reason I ask is our A currently has NO shocks at all and I figure anything has to be an improvement
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #17
31Tudor

They are not great. Mostly for looks. When you tighten them up enough to actually work, then make a squeeking chirping noise that you hear especially when you are going slow. Then they need to be tightened up frequently. I am running them on a sppedster, and it really is more for the look. They work OK until they loosten up but I would really not recommend them for a daily driver Model A. For the money, just not really worth it. Just my opinion.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #18
Chris in WNC

Default short life on rebuilds?

one posting above stated his shocks were rebuilt by someone who was "best in the country" and they went south in a hurry.
that would suggest the rebuilder was not "best in the country".

John Holland rebuilt a set for me in 2004 and they still work great & do not leak after 6,000 miles. he did another set for the Tudor we sold this year.

Bill Stipe's new shocks are probably the best option out there, but not cheap. since I am too lazy to get a second job to pay for them, I'll stick with John's rebuilds .
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:43 AM   #19
Bill Stipe

I have one report back on mileage of over 5000 so far and would expect 4 times that. My shocks are no different then the original shocks and can certainly be rebuilt the same as the original ones if we all live long enough.
Chris mentioned he knows the best rebuilder around and I don't doubt that if you can find fairly decent old shocks to rebuild. I think in many cases the problem is not always the rebuilder but finding rebuildable old shocks.
I have the same problem regrinding camshafts there is lots of cams out there but finding ones with good oil pump drive gears and bearings and lobes not worn down too far is hard, and that is the same reason I decided to start making new ones along with improving the profiles to give a better performing cam.
It is a matter of choices as to what your willing to put up with and where you want to spend your money and time. Many of the guys don't care as long as they can still start the engine and drive to grandmas house on Sunday. so to them $395 for a cam or $995 for set of 4 shocks is a waste of money.
But they are out there if anyone needs quaility USA made products.

Thanks

Bill Stipe
Old 12-10-2010, 06:48 AM   #20
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I am gonna jump in here and add to the endorsement letter that Mr. Clarke sent above. I have been putting Bill's new shocks on most of the cars we are restoring (other than fine-point) for several years now and it is one of those things that unless you have them to actually compare with rebuilt originals, then you just cannot believe the difference. The adjustability of Bill's shocks is phenominal and go WAY beyond any rebuilt original shock absorber that I have ever used.

Think this through, in almost every form of motorsports, shock absorbers play a huge role in the driver's success. Even to the point where many teams have Shock Engineers to finesse the most "controlability" out of the vehicle. While we don't necessarily "compete" with our Model A's, doesn't it stand to reason that having properly operating and well-performing shocks add safety to our driving? A wheel that is off the ground and in the air not only makes the vehicle ride rough, it is a safety hazard as well! If just one wheel is in the air, you have lost at least 25% of your vehicle's braking ability, and in many cases 50% or more of your steering ability. Is your driving ability good enough to compensate for this safety hazard? Trust me and the others who have 'stepped up' and purchased Bill's shocks, ...they are not a waste of money.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote