Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2023, 09:32 AM   #21
DavidG

Default Re: Nice 34 Roadster

They don't even look at the undercarriage any more! Still, they have done a lot for the bobby and I've been a satisfied member for sixty years.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:13 PM   #22
Floyd

Just to add to the record, at least for the 32 noted above; I know this car and helped the guy who built it. He was a well known model A guy and when he was 85 he wanted a 32. His model A's were all drivers and not fully correct and he knew that. The 32 chassis came from a hot rod shop in Anaheim. Failing to find a 32 body, he bought a Brookville that was assembled by Steves hot rods. Brookville assembled bodies were a long lead item and the owner was in a hurry, always in a hurry. The color is a Mercedes color. He had fun working on the car and did a lot of the grunt work himself. I did the trans and the rear end. I would not let him touch those. Hats off to him for keeping the mechanical brakes. He passed away and his son (ggod guy)took the car and took care of it. I guess it has gone down one generation in the family to someone that knows nothing about cars and doesn't care This story gets repeated many times these days.
The owner was a character and a really good guy who would help anyone and everyone. He was always in a hurry and his cars suffered from that. However he salvaged a real 32 chassis and used all the parts that came with it. He had fun with his cars and we had fun watching him and helping out. The car got built and he loved the project. This is the essence of what the car hobby really is. If you knew him you would have fond memories. The car was never intended to be a judged car. It can be sorted out from some of his shortcuts and be a happy driver for someone.
RIP George
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-27-2023, 01:33 PM   #23
DavidG

Thanks for the background and confirmation that the car has a Brookville body. My opthalmologist is right.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 03:40 PM   #24
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Just to add to the record, at least for the 32 noted above; I know this car and helped the guy who built it. He was a well known model A guy and when he was 85 he wanted a 32. His model A's were all drivers and not fully correct and he knew that. The 32 chassis came from a hot rod shop in Anaheim. Failing to find a 32 body, he bought a Brookville that was assembled by Steves hot rods. Brookville assembled bodies were a long lead item and the owner was in a hurry, always in a hurry. The color is a Mercedes color. He had fun working on the car and did a lot of the grunt work himself. I did the trans and the rear end. I would not let him touch those. Hats off to him for keeping the mechanical brakes. He passed away and his son (ggod guy)took the car and took care of it. I guess it has gone down one generation in the family to someone that knows nothing about cars and doesn't care This story gets repeated many times these days.
The owner was a character and a really good guy who would help anyone and everyone. He was always in a hurry and his cars suffered from that. However he salvaged a real 32 chassis and used all the parts that came with it. He had fun with his cars and we had fun watching him and helping out. The car got built and he loved the project. This is the essence of what the car hobby really is. If you knew him you would have fond memories. The car was never intended to be a judged car. It can be sorted out from some of his shortcuts and be a happy driver for someone.
RIP George
Very neat story. Thanks for sharing
Old 05-27-2023, 04:01 PM   #25
Floyd

As an engineer and tooling guy, I am also infected with things being correct and perfect or better. However sometimes we just need to step back , take a deep breath and wonder why we are doing this.
Back to the car, no one liked or wanted him to get the chopped windshield. He did it anyway because he had enough model A standard roadsters with the tall windshield. Even though he had a 31 model A deluxe roadster (that he restored/rebuilt) with the shortened windshield sitting in his garage, he still opted for a chopped version for the 32. The interior is LB with all leather. This includes door panels, kick panels, trim strips behind seat and of course the rumble seat. He wanted leather knowing that vinyl was original on all but the seat cover. You can see the seam in the leather on the trim piece behind the seat since leather will not stretch around the corner. (ophthalmologist check here) The car color was a nod to his wife whose favorite color was from a Mercedes she once had.
Lots of stories but they will fade away. The car still exists.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote