Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Bill Underwood

Default The "Wanted" section of the Forum

I'm about to the point of no longer aswering "wanted" posts. I have lots of stuff that I will part with but don't really care. I have answered several wanted ads and hear nothing back. As a matter of fact, I bet I don't hear back on 80% of my answers. Truthfully, I could care less whether I get rid of duplicate parts or not. However, if someone needs it enough to post, I'm willing to post back if I have it. I have used PM, posted replies and sent private emails.

At least folks could say "found one", take a hike or something!!

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood?
Bill Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: The "Wanted" section of the Forum

Bill do you have any Victoria parts?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Underwood View Post
I'm about to the point of no longer aswering "wanted" posts. I have lots of stuff that I will part with but don't really care. I have answered several wanted ads and hear nothing back. As a matter of fact, I bet I don't hear back on 80% of my answers. Truthfully, I could care less whether I get rid of duplicate parts or not. However, if someone needs it enough to post, I'm willing to post back if I have it. I have used PM, posted replies and sent private emails.

At least folks could say "found one", take a hike or something!!

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood?
I get the same thing Bill. dont sweat it. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I get a lot of that on Craigslist. I don't understand why the people don't list their phone number, then the deal can be quick and easy. I go through several extra steps to contact them by email, and then they never reply back. Now, I often don't even bother unless they post their phone number. If it's something I need really bad, then I might still send an email, but seldom hear back. I consider it just plain rude to not reply back.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Gerard

Cool Re: The "Wanted" section of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I get a lot of that on Craigslist. I don't understand why the people don't list their phone number, then the deal can be quick and easy. I go through several extra steps to contact them by email, and then they never reply back. Now, I often don't even bother unless they post their phone number. If it's something I need really bad, then I might still send an email, but seldom hear back. I consider it just plain rude to not reply back.
Tom , you are so right I am also pissed of with those jurks who ask for pictures etc . I supplied many pictures, answerred questions etc . NO REPLY from them anymore not even a " thank you but no ". As from today I will not reply to any person who ask me for pictures anymore unless they provide me with a phone number period.
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Mitch Bunkin in PA

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Bill, Please don't stop being a nice guy just because some people are discourteous. It's generous guys like you that make this hobby special. Most of my college students never communicate. However the very few notes & e-mails I get from students expressing appreciation really do make it all worth while.

"Most people ONLY want to know
what they already believe and
nothing more."
Mitch Bunkin in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Fred K-OR

Bill, I think Mitch is correct. Don't let your mood get bad just because of some discourteous person. I have sold a few things on Craigslist and have had the same problems. I think maybe the thing to do, like suggested, is to email the person and ask them to send you their phone number so you can call them to talk with them to make sure you have what they want. If they don't respond to that, then have a beer and forget it.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
Ross/Kzoo

I've posted want ads on other sites and some of the responses were ridiculous. I wanted 20 lug nuts for some Rally II wheels. One guy offered them to me for $75 plus shipping. I could purchase the same reproduction lugs for $58 from the parts supplier and have combined shipping if I bought additional items. Is it worth responding to that stooge?
I also posted about 3 years ago for a distributor body-nothing more. Mine had cracked and I needed to replace it. I got offers up to $150 just for the body. One Fordbarner had one for $15 plus about $10 shipping. After a few emails it sounded dirty but fine. When I got it it was just dirty, cleaned it back up and has worked fine for 3 years.
Tell me who deserves a response?
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Bill, I think Mitch is correct. Don't let your mood get bad just because of some discourteous person. I have sold a few things on Craigslist and have had the same problems. I think maybe the thing to do, like suggested, is to email the person and ask them to send you their phone number so you can call them to talk with them to make sure you have what they want. If they don't respond to that, then have a beer and forget it.
I've never sold on Craigslist, and only sold a few things on ebay about 7 years ago. But on Craigslist I would think the people would list their phone number to make the sale easier and quicker. Even after I email them, if they reply back at all, they still usually don't include their phone number, even after I give them mine in the first email. And if the part is sold, then they should remove the ad from Craigslist.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
85930tudor

Send a message via Yahoo to 85930tudor

yes i to am tired of internet tire kickers if the wont give me a no# to call them i disreguard em
85930tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
1930fordor

Don't give up on the want ads, there are still some of us who are polite enough to return your emails.
1930fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930fordor View Post
Don't give up on the want ads, there are still some of us who are polite enough to return your emails.
Agreed!
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:04 AM   #13
Jalopy31

[QUOTE=Tom Wesenberg;143304]I get a lot of that on Craigslist. I don't understand why the people don't list their phone number, then the deal can be quick and easy.QUOTE]

I have bought and sold a number of car parts and antique toys on Craigslist, and wanted to offer another perspective on posting phone numbers there.

Keep in mind that you can enter a person's home phone number (cell numbers are a different matter) into Google and you will likely get their name, address, city, etc. From that info, you can get a Google map to their house and even pull up a Google satellite image of their property. These satellite images are amazingly crisp when you zoom in on a property.

People who are targeting cars or parts to steal could easily use this information to map a path directly to your house and pretty much know the lay of the land without ever having been there before.

I personally never put my phone number in the ad since I know the consequences of entering my home number and my cell phone is provided by my employer.

I do screen email replies to my ads and choose not to respond to some that seem questionable. This week, I had someone trying to scam me out of an antique pedal car that I have listed for sale. If someone cannot take the time to type me a well-worded, legible email expressing a sincere interest in the specific item I have posted, I will delete their email without replying. An email asking "Do u still have this item for sale?" gets deleted. An email asking "Do you still have the Garton pedal car for sale? I live in the Greensboro area and would be interested in seeing it." would get a reply.

Just my $.02 worth.

Todd

By the way, I have had the same issues with replying to Parts Wanted and Parts For Sale ads on the forum - seldom get a reply. It would be nice if people would reply with a simple message stating "I found one." or "The item you asked about is sold."
Jalopy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #14
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrim View Post
I am one of the culprits. I thought it is best to not respond at all rather than insult the person who did respond with overpriced items that need too much work. There is a big difference in value by location and a even bigger difference by condition. I am new here and don't want to offend anyone. If i am still looking but not in what you offer how should i respond?
Years ago, I worked with an old Italian guy who called the want ads "The Italian Funny Papers" I soon understood as he would burst out laughing at some "optimist's" funny idea of what his merchandise was worth. If it was followed by the word "FIRM" it would elicit even more laughter. People can and do try to get a high price for their s>>>. Usually the item goes unsold. Or some genius thinks "aha" I've got it! I won't mention the price until some "serious buyer" asks me for it! Shear Genuis! I,Personally, walk right on by. I hard a hard childhood, I buy by price! If the price ain't showin' I don't ask! Period! Most things we buy were produced in the millions. Perhaps only a few thousand of them survive, A few thousand? Those odds are good enough for me, I only need one!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
Mitch Bunkin in PA

Quote:
I am one of the culprits. I thought it is best to not respond at all rather than insult the person who did respond with overpriced items that need too much work. There is a big difference in value by location and a even bigger difference by condition. I am new here and don't want to offend anyone. If i am still looking but not in what you offer how should i respond?
Hi, I just e-mail "Thanks for your reply." or "I'll get back to you if I get more interested." No need to express an opinion or start a debate about prices.

I also agree with those who NEVER respond to ads that do not list a price.

"Most people ONLY want to know
what they already believe and
nothing more."
Mitch Bunkin in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #16
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross/Kzoo View Post
I've posted want ads on other sites and some of the responses were ridiculous. I wanted 20 lug nuts for some Rally II wheels. One guy offered them to me for $75 plus shipping. I could purchase the same reproduction lugs for $58 from the parts supplier and have combined shipping if I bought additional items. Is it worth responding to that stooge?
I also posted about 3 years ago for a distributor body-nothing more. Mine had cracked and I needed to replace it. I got offers up to $150 just for the body. One Fordbarner had one for $15 plus about $10 shipping. After a few emails it sounded dirty but fine. When I got it it was just dirty, cleaned it back up and has worked fine for 3 years.
Tell me who deserves a response?
PS. Another thing that I have posted in the wanted ads is " please tell condition and price in first response". Many times I would get the response "great condition, what's it worth to you". Needless to say I gave no response nor to the others with no price given.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #17
62pan

Quote:
Having used the Wanted section a few times I also noticed a lot of sellers with way overpriced items. I still return with an email of " thats more than I want to spend" As far as giving out my phone number that is something I do not do untill I am sure the seller or buyer is legit.
62pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
barnstuf

One problem sellers experience is what I call the "deadbeat buyer". Either you answer his wanted ad, or he answers your for sale ad. A deal is made and the buyer says he will mail payment. You hold the item for receipt of payment which never arrives. If the item is one you advertised for sale you may have turned down subsequent buyers ready to buy. Having said that I have had good luck with the wanted section of fordbarn except that as an old timer not computer literate I am not able to navigate responses via fordbarn messages, so I put my eMail address in the ad for direct response.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #19
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
except that as an old timer not computer literate I am not able to navigate responses via fordbarn messages, so I put my eMail address in the ad for direct response.
I have to do the same. Then the spammers jump on it and you get about fifty emails refering to "your Craigslist item"

BTW, Can anyone tell me what bttt and Bump mean?
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #20
Mort

I have found that many times the response to my email request for a wanted item goes into my junk email. I am now in the habit of checking that, which is a pain because there are hundreds of them, but for those people who don't it might be one reason they do not get a reply.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote