Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2020, 11:41 PM   #21
mrtexas

Default Re: Cooling for 49 hot rod

Sorry for the confusian, the fan is mounted on the water pump. I verified the water pump rotates CCW by cranking the engine and observing. Haven't done a lot of work on modern v8s, only flatheads!

I bought the hot rod already done. The engine IMHO was mounted about an inch too high in the front so a standard 18 inch diameter fan wouldn't fit without the radiator hitting the hood, had to raise the return pipe on the radiator and lower the radiator as much as I could. The rack/pinion installation was also a disaster and installed an inch too low causing bump steer( had to reinstall at the correct position to get it to steer.) Car came with a pusher electric fan.

This hot rod has been quite a learning experience for me. Just proves you need to know what you are doing(or have someone else who knows what they are doing) to put a modern motor in an old flathead car. Fortunately fixing the various drivetrain/steering problems hasn't been expensive but time consuming. Thought the car was finished when I bought it. The overheating problem appeared when I installed vintage air....

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:58 AM   #22
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
Sorry for the confusian, the fan is mounted on the water pump. I verified the water pump rotates CCW by cranking the engine and observing. Haven't done a lot of work on modern v8s, only flatheads!

I bought the hot rod already done. The engine IMHO was mounted about an inch too high in the front so a standard 18 inch diameter fan wouldn't fit without the radiator hitting the hood, had to raise the return pipe on the radiator and lower the radiator as much as I could. The rack/pinion installation was also a disaster and installed an inch too low causing bump steer( had to reinstall at the correct position to get it to steer.) Car came with a pusher electric fan.

This hot rod has been quite a learning experience for me. Just proves you need to know what you are doing(or have someone else who knows what they are doing) to put a modern motor in an old flathead car. Fortunately fixing the various drivetrain/steering problems hasn't been expensive but time consuming. Thought the car was finished when I bought it. The overheating problem appeared when I installed vintage air....

Thanks for all the comments.

Thanks for the clarification! I see where you're coming from now. You are going from an electric fan to engine mounted fan. I have a '40 sedan which has the fan actually bolted to the crankshaft snout so I thought that is what you were trying to do. And, I assumed everybody knows that a small block Ford engine with a serpentine belt system runs the water pump off the back side of the belt, therefore is running "backward" or CCW.
I assume the trans has also been changed. Has the crossmember been butchered for clearance? The crossmember is necessary for frame strength so it can't just be notched out. It needs to be reinforced if it has been cut.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-30-2020, 09:23 AM   #23
mrtexas

Cross member hasn't been touched. Transmission in an AOD. Engine/trans installed as far back as possible without hacking cross member or touching fat man front end. Tight fit!

Last edited by mrtexas; 08-30-2020 at 10:28 AM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote