Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2017, 07:51 PM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Fear of Showing Numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
I tend to worry about things in relation to the risk; extremely low risk stuff like this doesn't cause me much grief......
I agree, it's all the fool distracted drivers today that one has to worry about.
You're much more likely to loose your car to those fools than to a thief.

I was a passenger in my neighbors van a couple weeks ago, and it's unreal how many kept looking down to text while driving. At 60 MPH your car travels 88 feet per second, and they are looking down for even longer than one second while cars around them are often less than 30 feet away.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:21 PM   #22
Dutie

Hey tom, check out this number..... sure lights the way, whitewalls, stoneguard and all. hope you can enjoy, its my favorite garage pic. Dutie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1375.jpg (69.2 KB, 54 views)
Dutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:21 PM   #23
JtownJoe

Don't know how much good it does to block out lic. plate numbers when anyone on the road can see it at all times.
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:24 PM   #24
HoarseWhisperer

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:57 PM   #25
eagle

Some people are so paranoid they wear suspenders and a belt at the same time.
I saw that here on fordbarn years ago and love it!
Old 01-21-2017, 10:53 PM   #26
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

I have had my title for my 30 A coupe since 1957 and still have a 1958 Antique tag on it. Was life time when I bought the tag, Registration was changed and tags were only good for 10 years now back to Life time.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:59 PM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Let's say your car was built from parts of other cars. At some point lost to history the frame number was used by a restorer and the engine number was used by a hot rodder wishing to license his street rod as just another old car. The rodder sells the engine to a buyer in a state with lax registration rules and it goes into another rebuilt Model-A and is registered under that number. Now, somebody or some insurer or some DMV database discovers the duplication and the trouble begins. What if the Model A you have legally owned for 25 years turns out to have been stolen from a barn 26 years ago? Maybe it's better to just keep some numbers to yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
This has happened in the past. People have had to give up their old car because of it, people whom may have owned it for 20 years or better and all of a sudden it surfaces on some state's DMV stolen list. If that happens the current owner is SOL and has to forfeit the car. Why take the risk?
What risk? Are you saying that there are DMV employees that scour the net looking for numbers they can trace to see if the vehicle is registered properly.

I understand what you are saying but in the context of this thread how would your post fit in with showing the engine number in a picture? Again I understand your post and it does happen.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 01-21-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #28
SeaSlugs

better hide the vin numbers of your modern cars too since they are in plain sight, or if its ever been for sale dealers post vin numbers all the time.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:40 AM   #29
denis4x4

Got a ration of poop when I brought up this issue last year on the Fordbarn. The theft of serial numbers is serious as it pertains to registrations in states that are lax.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:15 AM   #30
Brad in Germany

I have always been curious, if I find an old era title from my grandfather's Model A Coupe in some papers that I inherited from him....and then more recently happen to find a Model A Coupe with the same VIN/engine number as is on my Grandfather's old title, does that mean that I can claim the recently found car is mine?

......since, after all, I have the original title to the Coupe with that VIN/engine number?

Brad in Maryland
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:24 AM   #31
pooch

These titles that USA people always mention sound a lot like our old property laws.

We do not have this in OZ.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #32
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad in Germany View Post
I have always been curious, if I find an old era title from my grandfather's Model A Coupe in some papers that I inherited from him....and then more recently happen to find a Model A Coupe with the same VIN/engine number as is on my Grandfather's old title, does that mean that I can claim the recently found car is mine?

......since, after all, I have the original title to the Coupe with that VIN/engine number?

Brad in Maryland
Are you talking the car you found has the same engine number, frame number or both...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #33
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I say no. You may have found a title that was originally declared lost, misplaced or stolen! Nice try ( lol ). Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #34
Tacoma Bob

A long time friend bought a 52 chev here in Tacoma,Wa about a year and a half ago. 6 months ago the police came knocking on his door looking for said 52 chev. Minutes later the roll back came to deliver it to the rightful owner. My friend purchased the car from a car lot. The car had been reported stolen 18 years ago. He was lucky as the car dealer refunded his money.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #35
pookie55

hi tom,I see this thread has started from a pm message from me to you. i being new to the site was unsure as to if i should or if i could post all my model A numbers..Its not that i'am scared just Leary I've heard horror stories..
pookie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #36
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Can not understand why somebody would be adverse to divulging or showing automobile serial numbers in photos. On forums located upon firearms related web sites it might be more of a perceived problem.

Then again . . . if a guy is truly paranoid and thinks that people are plotting against him . . . there might be a sinister connivance in the works.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #37
pooch

About 3 years ago, I got a phone call out of the blue about 2 pm one afternoon..

He said he was Canadian and just got off the plane at Sydney and knew me from Ford barn, and had 5 days in Australia before flying out and wanted to come down and see me.

I said I was 3 hours direct drive by car IF you knew where you going, he said he would be using public transport.

I said you could be many hours even a day to get here then....train then bus.

I said no, this does not suit at all.

I could imagine some dude turning up at any hour with suitcase in hand and not being able to get rid of him for all of 5 days if I did not like him..

I still have no idea who he was then or who he is now.

And I also wondered to how he got my name and phone number .

My avatar says nothing to pinpoint me.

So you guys who plaster your full name, town, show pics of your property, some are obviously single or widowed, and then mention you are going to Hershey or elsewhere for 4 days ....wow,
your problem , not mine.

I have no problem with guys I feel I really know from ford barn dropping in for a coffee and a look at my toys and taking them for a sight seeing drive in my Model A, but not a dude out of the blue like this one.

It can be said , who would bother stealing a Model A, but a lot of guys talk about their other toys,.. and guns...and other collections.., again , it is your call.

Last edited by pooch; 01-23-2017 at 04:10 PM.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:02 AM   #38
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob View Post
A long time friend bought a 52 chev here in Tacoma,Wa about a year and a half ago. 6 months ago the police came knocking on his door looking for said 52 chev. Minutes later the roll back came to deliver it to the rightful owner. My friend purchased the car from a car lot. The car had been reported stolen 18 years ago. He was lucky as the car dealer refunded his money.
Stolen Corvette Returned to Owner 40 Years Later
Old 01-24-2017, 03:00 AM   #39
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I would think the insurance paid the owner, so now the car goes to the insurance company.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:50 AM   #40
PatrickGrant

Kinda like getting Hacked Tom !! Too much information can sometimes cause problems. I wonder if Rusty would give my money back, if the cops came and took the frame back ?
PatrickGrant is offline   Reply With Quote