Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
rfitzpatrick

Default Car Radio

When did Ford come out with a Car Radio ?

Thanks
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Car Radio

This is from the April 1934 Service Bulletins.
" Since the summer of 1932 several types of automobile radio receivers designed to Ford Motor Company specifications, have been sold through service."
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
katy

I used to have a radio from a '36 Ford, it was a big box, from memory roughly about 10"x8"x8", that mounted on the firewall and a remote head that mounted in the dash.
I don't know what ever happened to it, I suspect my Dad threw it out one time when he was cleaning up the shed.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
Brendan

this is from the Movie Dark Passage, look for the radio click on the link

https://youtu.be/nLdP36wZyRU

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
Penthode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post

Funny as I watched the movie years ago and never noticed the radio. It is obviously fake because the depth of a radio of the era would not have fit facing the tank like that.

I bought a universal fit Philco 1935 radio with thoughts of fitting it someday to my '29 Tudor. The radio unit would fit in the passenger footwell and radio control panel could fit under the Tudor central dash facia. But I always felt it would be ugly. Probably Henry felt his Model A could not be designed to have these new fangled radio contraptions? Certainly 1927 radio technology had not matured enough for radio as a practical consideration in a Ford.

Just to note, I have an RCA Radiola 62 console superheterodyne from 1928. (Note all practical car radios from the early thirties onward had to be superheterodyne). It cost then new about $300 or more than half the original cost of a new Ford Tudor! It is interesting to put the the relative technologies of the time into proper perspective.

Last edited by Penthode; 12-08-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Penthode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
Funny as I watched the movie years ago and never noticed the radio. It is obviously fake because the depth of a radio of the era would not have fit facing the tank like that.

I bought a universal fit Philco 1935 radio with thoughts of fitting it someday to my '29 Tudor. The radio unit would fit in the passenger footwell and radio control panel could fit under the Tudor central dash facia. But I always felt it would be ugly. Probably Henry felt his Model A could not be designed to have these new fangled radio contraptions? Certainly 1927 radio technology had not matured enough for radio as a practical consideration in a Ford.

Just to note, I have an RCA Radiola 62 console superheterodyne from 1928. (Note all practical car radios from the early thirties onward had to be superheterodyne). It cost then new about $300 or more than half the original cost of a new Ford Tudor! It is interesting to put the the relative technologies of the time into proper perspective.
In my day repairing those radios, 9 times out of 10, it was the vibrator or the rectifier tube that failed. I understand now there is a solid state replacement for the Vibrator that was the weak link on these old radios. One great thing, is the noise filtering electronics to quiet the vibrator internal arcing and high voltage generated noise had to be excellent.

I see you wish to do something with a vintage radio of the day. I have been looking at how to attach a Panasonic RF-888 Radio to the gas tank using some very strong magnets to hold the radio in place. I have attached a picture of the radio that works on batteries. What I liked about this one is it is flat, and mounted with the speaker down it has all the dials and frequency display laid out to be the right side up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 4.06.26 PM.jpg (15.3 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by DHZIEMAN; 12-10-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #7
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post

Nice 30 Deluxe Phaeton - love the awning canvas seat covers
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #8
Bob C

Looks like the windshield finger pulls are on the outside of the windshield frame.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #9
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Looks like the windshield finger pulls are on the outside of the windshield frame.

Interesting. When the guy first pulls up in the phaeton, the pulls are on the inside - about 44 seconds into the clip, they're on the outside.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #10
Kurt in NJ

the Grigsby Grunow 111 was for the 32 Ford, the Grigsby grunow 110 was introduced in june, or july on 1931, I have one, not working yet, but the control head fits the model A exactly, most aftermarket radios clamp the the steering column with a adjustable strap , the 110 has a fixed diameter clamp that fits the A exactly but I don't have any real documentation that it was designed for the A
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:32 AM   #11
Bick in New Zealand

Interesting clip, wonder where that Deluxe Phaeton ended up?

Kurt, I would love to see a picture of your 110.

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #12
Jason in TX

Very true. That radio is too shallow to be mounted in front of the gas tank. It's a motorola radio, looks like one that would have originally been mounted to the steering column, but now with a floor grate around it like a speaker.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RadioInModelA-HumphryBogartDarkPassage.jpg (35.1 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg motorola01.jpg (61.9 KB, 281 views)
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:58 PM   #13
Jason in TX

Here is a very early aftermarket Arvin column mount radio head I have in a car. I think I dated it to 1932 or 1933. The key was the power switch so that kids couldn't get in your car and turn on your radio and run your battery down.

Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #14
Ronnie Lawson

I worked for Arvin for 25 years.
Arvin Industries is based in Columbus, Indiana, and started manufacturing Arvin radios in 1927. The company then started producing auto mobile radios in 1933, followed by home radios in 1934, and televisions in 1948. The company also started manufacturing radios for Sears which were sold under the Silvertone brand name up until 1971.
Arvin radios come in a variety of different shapes and sizes. Some may be round and circular, while others may be square, rectangular or sometimes even oval. Some Arvin radios may even come with chrome piping details or vertical grilles and knobs which also come in a variety of different colors.
These radios can also be tuned in to several different stations, and are able to transmit programs in a variety of different languages; however, it is only accessible via an AM frequency. Some vintage Arvin radios may also come with a built-in clock or antenna as well.
Many Arvin radios have covers or shields to protect various parts (such as the tubes) due to the fact that many of the radio's parts are sensitive and delicate.

The Arvin "Hopalong Cassidy" model radio is considered to be the most rare and valuable among Arvin radio collectors, and some collectors state that models such as the Arvin 422 are incredibly hard to find as well.
Ronnie Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #15
updraught

You can buy one of those Grisby ones on eBay cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-Ford-m...1216124?_ul=AU
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:09 AM   #16
Dodge

I wouldn’t buy it....no free shipping,
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:05 AM   #17
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

I have a 1933-34 glove box radio. It's all one piece and takes the place of the glove box. Has a face plate that takes the place of the glove box door. All controls are in the radio.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote