Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Jim Mason

Default flat bezel ammeter

It isn't what we don't know that gets us in trouble it's what we know that ain't so ....Will Rogers. several of the changes made in the judging standards results from what we 'know' that ain't so. that also explains why it's taking so long to vet the new facts. Fwiw
Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
2manycars

Default Re: flat bezel ammeter

Can you elaborate on the flat bezel ammeter?
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
MikeK

Yes Jim, could you give some details on your concern? p. 6-2 rev. 1994 "Very early 1928 ammeters may have had a 3/16" wide flat bezel, but all later ammeters had a sharp raised edge next to the face." That sentence was dropped in the 2011 revision. It was a nebulous reference at best- "may have". I'm always curious as to the source of new info. Who What Where When Why? Any light you can shed for those of us outside the standards committee?

I have a bit of a quandary about something dropped in Area 18, where I collect parts, but that is a different issue and I don't want to hijack your intriguing and mysterious lead.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
Jim Mason

several items in the new revisions are an attempts to remove things that were thought to be true and replace them with things that are proven to be true. The statement about the ammeter is 1 of them. the source of the new information is written documentation from Ford, period Correct photos, observation of low mileage original cars, very large collections of parts with documentation etc. not just single cars or 1 opinion. The committes are producing the most accurate, most researched document to date. The discussions have been,and will be long and difficult. The results are worth it.l
Old 02-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Yes Jim, could you give some details on your concern? p. 6-2 rev. 1994 "Very early 1928 ammeters may have had a 3/16" wide flat bezel, but all later ammeters had a sharp raised edge next to the face." That sentence was dropped in the 2011 revision. It was a nebulous reference at best- "may have". I'm always curious as to the source of new info. Who What Where When Why? Any light you can shed for those of us outside the standards committee?

I have a bit of a quandary about something dropped in Area 18, where I collect parts, but that is a different issue and I don't want to hijack your intriguing and mysterious lead.
Not only was the sentence dropped, the new statement regarding the rib says "all ammeters". Jim answered the how and why quite well.