Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
bradevans

Default HELP !!!! does anyone know

We put new Edelbrock aluminum heads on my stock 1949 ford 8BA flathead …….. in my bone stock 1949 F1 truck but the oil filter assembly wont go back on as the 3 bolt hole pattern on the new Edelbrock aluminum heads is different

stock oil filter can mounting bracket is 4.5” bolt to bolt centers apart and the mounting holes in the Edelbrock aluminum heads are 3.5” apart bolt to bolt center ???????

Has anyone else faced this ?? I wrote to Edelbrock and they said they have never heard of this problem ???????????????

Do you know Is there an adaptor plate or an after market oil filter assembly or something to resolve this ???

Thanks,
Brad Evans
[email protected]
bradevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: HELP !!!! does anyone know

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradevans View Post
We put new Edelbrock aluminum heads on my stock 1949 ford 8BA flathead …….. in my bone stock 1949 F1 truck but the oil filter assembly wont go back on as the 3 bolt hole pattern on the new Edelbrock aluminum heads is different

stock oil filter can mounting bracket is 4.5” bolt to bolt centers apart and the mounting holes in the Edelbrock aluminum heads are 3.5” apart bolt to bolt center ???????

Has anyone else faced this ?? I wrote to Edelbrock and they said they have never heard of this problem ???????????????

Do you know Is there an adaptor plate or an after market oil filter assembly or something to resolve this ???

Thanks,
Brad Evans
[email protected]
Both 1949 truck and car used the bolt heads to attach the canister assembly.
The heads you have are meant to use the '50-'53 canister and have 3 dedicated bolt holes for that purpose. And the bolt pattern is different.
Check this thread out---
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...+filter&page=4
Old 03-16-2019, 06:22 AM   #3
tubman

I think the simplest answer would be to get a '50-'53 canister that will bolt onto the dedicated bolt holes. They are not that hard to find and not overly expensive. This way, you would not have to worry about longer head studs/bolts and interference with the fins.

I am amazed that Edelbrock said they "have never heard of this problem". I think it shows where their priorities are these days.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:31 AM   #4
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post

I am amazed that Edelbrock said they "have never heard of this problem". I think it shows where their priorities are these days.
Or, maybe over the decades that these heads have been available, this is the first time someone has been incapable of analyzing and rectifying the situation by themselves.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:58 PM   #5
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34PKUP View Post
Or, maybe over the decades that these heads have been available, this is the first time someone has been incapable of analyzing and rectifying the situation by themselves.
You're kidding, right? There are a lot of rookies out there with their first flathead; I don't think any of them should be working for Edelbrock and answering questions.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
Ziggster

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
You're kidding, right? There are a lot of rookies out there with their first flathead; I don't think any of them should be working for Edelbrock and answering questions.
I'm a rookie as well when it comes to flatheads and hot rods in general. Appreciate the forums and advice, but sometimes I feel the same as I come across "problems". The info is out there but not always easy to find. I hope the flathead is around for another century as well as all the knowledge that each generation passes down to the next.
Ziggster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #7
bradevans

Smile Re: HELP !!!! does anyone know

MANY Thanks to all for the answer to my question. To clarify I have been playing with 49 ford trucks now for more than 50 years and am no novice having owned & restored several. However I have never seen nor owned a 51-53 Ford truck or part ?? My current flathead is original to the truck and I had no idea that there was any difference of any kind between 1949 8BA flathead heads and oil canisters bolt patters and 50-53 heads Edelbrock replacement head canister mounting holes. Yes it is odd that I am the only person on the planet who has asked Edelbrock why the holes are different and even more odd they didn't know.......AGAIN THANKS for your help Ziggster, tubman, & 51 MERC-CT. You are why this forum is so awesome !!!!
Now if I can just find a NOS 50-53 oil canister assembly somewhere !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new heads LT.jpg (77.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 3trucks.jpg (101.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Ted looks finished.jpg (65.1 KB, 19 views)
bradevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #8
tubman

NOS might be tough, but these things don't wear out and are easy to refinish. The decals are available and look dead-on to me. I would try Shoebox Central and eBay. Oh yeah, Mercury filter assemblies are slightly different from Fords. They will fit (I have a Ford filter assembly on the '51 Merc in my car), but they are slightly different.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:54 PM   #9
russcc

Check with Fred at South Side Obsolete in MN. Barnfind08 on the forum.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:49 PM   #10
cas3

i have a good used one if you like, its a part that doesnt wear out, so NOS is pointless

Last edited by cas3; 03-18-2019 at 10:54 PM. Reason: add
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:54 PM   #11
Tinker

Lots of things get swapped around throughout the yrs (heads etc). Some guys know the difference. Everyday is a learning experience for me.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:54 PM   #12
cas3

the difference is easy to see, the bolt holes are smaller for the 8ba style. 3/8 vs 7/16 for the head bolts on the 59a series. really, the 59a hole is probably 9/16 due to the special nuts with a shoulder that go there. noticeably bigger

Last edited by cas3; 03-19-2019 at 12:35 AM. Reason: add more
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:15 AM   #13
Tinker

If you are not hell bent on using a original, you can use a remote aftermarket spin off filter.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #14
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
If you are not hell bent on using a original, you can use a remote aftermarket spin off filter.
Only if you incorporate the proper restriction in the system, as all aftermarket remote filters (except Frantz) are full flow filters, not bypass filters. As such they are not designed for use with your engine. Mixing and mis-matching components like this can lead to trouble unless you really know what you're doing. I would still suggest an original Ford filter system. Try to get a complete unit so you get the proper restriction fitting.