Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #1
54Merc

Default 54Merc Transmission Mystery

When I bought this car, the engine and transmission was not in the car, since they had previously had installed another type of engine and transmission. I had the engine overhauled and took the tranny in to a mechanic who put an overhaul kit in it, a K600V.

So, after putting the engine and tranny into the car, I have a situation I can’t figure out.

I put the gearshift in the drive or low position and it goes into reverse. Neutral still seems to be neutral. Reverse on the shift dial does nothing, and when I select park, it goes into reverse. There are no weird noises going on in the transmission.

I have two good transmission manuals, and know that I have set the linkages (the manual selector and the speed linkage) correctly.

The gear selector mounted at the transmission limits upward direction at 9:00, other limit is downward at about the 5:00 clock position.

I am focusing on the valve body valve. It appears to be about 3/8” dia in the schematic and about 3” long +/-. There are built on recesses on either end that let the fluid travel through ports to shift.

Does anyone know if this valve could have been reversed, or is that possible?

This is a small case cast iron transmission with an air cooled torque converter.
54Merc is offline   Reply With Quote