Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2023, 02:58 PM   #1
Dennisfly

Default Engine Swap

I have a 35 ford with the original engine, which is still running well, but showing low oil pressure and excessive wear in the oil analysis. I have an opportunity to buy another engine. I need your help regarding the identity and specifics of the replacement engine and the suitability of this engine swap.

The seller says it is a 59AB type engine that is a 239ci, 24 stud Mercury engine that has been overhauled by a now deceased, well respected flathead mechanic. There is a Ford authorized reconditioned engine plate from Washington, DC riveted to the block that has B3228 stamped in it. The now deceased mechanic would have overhauled the engine after it was reconditioned by Ford. It has been sitting for a number of years in a garage and not run since overhaul. The seller is selling due to his own declining health. The seller is knowledgeable about early V8’s and says this will bolt to my present transmission and motor mounts and that I can use my present starter, generator, distributor and carburetor. I removed the intake manifold, and the valley is clean with no sludge or dirt, has pools of clean oil, and has adjustable lifters. I removed a couple of spark plugs and from what I can see (not much) the valves and combustion chambers looks clean and dry. The engine rotates as it should with a socket and ratchet. I asked the seller if he had a list of installed parts, knew if it had been bored, or knew if the crank had been turned undersize, and he did not know. On top of the bell housing where I expected to see 59, instead, there is 25, K307, 81-A. On the front of the engine below the distributor mount and above the lower pulley is cast 6049B. Above the distributor mount, upside down, is cast P12H.

I have attached photos and will appreciate any and all comments. I would also welcome your estimates of what a fair price would be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P12H.jpg (39.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Head.jpg (50.5 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg 6049B.jpg (36.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg B3228.jpg (33.7 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Bell Top.jpg (64.2 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg Engine.jpg (41.3 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (39.3 KB, 418 views)