Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #41
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Take a gander at this.

GPierce has it right, the engine is installed "backwards" so the prop is driven off the back of the crank, as in the Model A car. I think more A engines were used, because of costs, back in the day. A friend of mine had a 'T' powered Piet, the mag was driven by a bicycle chain, directly off the crank. Mags are designed with internal reduction gears, for increased RPM for their generator.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #42
ryanheacox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In406br33C4

Neat video on the oldest flying Air Camper.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:33 PM   #43
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In406br33C4

Neat video on the oldest flying Air Camper.
the first I ever saw of a Pietenpol was a photo sent to me by my buddy who took the shot at a recent Oshkosh airshow. Whilst they are not numerous it would appear there are several in the USA and in flying condition. It is pleasing that enthusiastic people who care and maintain old aeroplanes and also those who build and rebuild them today.
Also too Ryanheacox, what a nice neat airstrip and hanger.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #44
woofa.express

Why was the direction of rotation changed?

I don’t know but maybe a reader might inform me. When I crank my Model A the engine rotates in a clockwise direction. I speak about viewing them from the front. Likewise for all the tractors I drove. All the American IH Farmalls, and English Fergusons. They remain the same today. But why do American aeroplanes all rotate anti clockwise with the one exception that I know of. It’s the Garret turbine. There could well be more but they haven’t come to my attention.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg faq-ro7.jpg (7.8 KB, 12 views)

Old 06-05-2020, 06:57 PM   #45
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
Why was the direction of rotation changed?

I don’t know but maybe a reader might inform me. When I crank my Model A the engine rotates in a clockwise direction. I speak about viewing them from the front. Likewise for all the tractors I drove. All the American IH Farmalls, and English Fergusons. They remain the same today. But why do American aeroplanes all rotate anti clockwise with the one exception that I know of. It’s the Garret turbine. There could well be more but they haven’t come to my attention.

Not sure which engines you mean with your question about direction of rotation. The Model A in a Pietenpol rotates the same direction as any other A, but I don't know about other aircraft engines. The answer would be found in the earliest years of powered flight, I'm sure.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:16 PM   #46
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Not sure which engines you mean with your question about direction of rotation. The Model A in a Pietenpol rotates the same direction as any other A, but I don't know about other aircraft engines. The answer would be found in the earliest years of powered flight, I'm sure.
morning Deluxe. Yes the Pietenpol is the same direction as the A and all other motor car engines and the English aeroplane engines but not the American aeroplane engines with the exception of the turbine garret. P&W,Lycoming and continental all rotate anti clockwise, ie oppersite to all these other engines, cheers, gary

Old 06-05-2020, 08:29 PM   #47
Benson

Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:16 PM   #48
History

My finances have changed or I would have one of these https://youtu.be/vyAGbf_hUds as I'd want a little more flexibility due to where and how my property lies.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:16 PM   #49
2935ford

I've watched these things takeoff, fly and land but.......not sure I ever want to be in one.......
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:28 PM   #50
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2935ford View Post
I've watched these things takeoff, fly and land but.......not sure I ever want to be in one.......
yeh, me too. I'd be content to stand on the ground and watch it fly.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #51
Dirtrack49

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the PM. I had not been on the forum for many months. Got sidetracked working on my RV4 and other projects. Below is a pic of my Grega GN1 Aircamper. Don't know if it will ever get done. Should sell it to someone to finish.
I hope you don't stop flying. You will regret it in short order. Find yourself a Van's RV of any type and you will certainly enjoy it.
My health is deteriorating, so I may not make it to 80 flying. Will see.
Tom L.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pietenpol.jpg (58.8 KB, 55 views)
Dirtrack49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:21 AM   #52
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtrack49 View Post
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the PM. I had not been on the forum for many months. Got sidetracked working on my RV4 and other projects. Below is a pic of my Grega GN1 Aircamper. Don't know if it will ever get done. Should sell it to someone to finish.
I hope you don't stop flying. You will regret it in short order. Find yourself a Van's RV of any type and you will certainly enjoy it.
My health is deteriorating, so I may not make it to 80 flying. Will see.
Tom L.
Hi Tom. It would be nice to finish your GN1. If you feel you won't get it finished, it would be nice to sell it to someone who will have it flying in your lifetime. That's so you can have some pleasure from it too.

It's 2120 here in the east of Au. I am watching Andrea Rieu on YouTube. His music is so exciting and exhilarating. Do you ever watch him. Such talent in his orchestra. cheers, gary

Old 08-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #53
woofa.express

you won't believe this unless you see it for yourself. It features things that neither you or I would never have thought about. Most features I would not want. To maintain it or service or repair it would be a nightmare. Probably best to return it to Germany for any of those requirements. But do open the clips below and it will blow your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii4HKg7hw18

there are other clips on this motor car and other futuristic motors as well.

Old 08-14-2020, 05:17 PM   #54
Patrick L.

Glen Curtiss ? I see his name mentioned. My Grandfather and Mr Curtiss were friends. I've always thought he was a great man and did more for aviation then anyone of the time. His airplanes[ NC] made the first Atlantic crossing. I've always liked his stuff especially the Robin and the motorbikes. I helped with the moving of the museum.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:02 PM   #55
woofa.express

This is a responce to Patrick L. The previous story in this thread.

Yes it was a Curtiss aeroplane which made the first Atlantic crossing. An NC4, the N for navy (and it was built for the US navy and they crewed this flight) and C for Curtiss. The date May 1919. A 19-day flight from New York to Lisbon, Portugal. Yes Patrick, Curtiss made a very substantial contribution to early aviation and including military aeroplanes in both wars. To have a connection with Mr Curtiss would be pleasing.

The first non-stop Atlantic crossing was by a British crew, Alcock and Brown in June 1919 in a Vickers Vimy. They made an unceremonious landing - having a mishap on landing in Ireland. Four entrants were competing, departing from New Foundland. One Australian, well known Harry Hawker who suffered engine cooling failure 7 hours after takeoff and ended up in the drink.

The well known aviator who crossed the Atlantic is of course Charles Lindbergh. His claim to fame is the flight which lasted for 33 hours was solo. He would have been a very tired fellow when he landed.

I did know some of this history but needed to consult Wikipedia for details. If this information contradicts any readers opinion or knowledge it is okay by me to say so. I shan’t be offended.

pictures in order. CN4, Victers Vimy, Sopwith Atlantic and the slick Ryan built flown by Lindbergh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Unknown-7.jpeg (7.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg Unknown-8.jpeg (11.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg Unknown-9.jpeg (10.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpeg Unknown-10.jpeg (11.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 08-17-2020 at 03:19 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:43 AM   #56
Patrick L.

Many think that Lindberg was the first to cross the Atlantic and try to argue with you about it. He was the first to do it solo which was quite an accomplishment. The Ryan built craft was so full of fuel tanks that a periscope was needed for what little forward vision there was. Lindberg had a lot of influence in aviation after that including WW2 military flight, he advocated running lean of peak which was pretty much taboo at the time.

The first transatlantic flight was made by either 3 or 4 NC [ Navy Curtiss ] aircraft in 1919. Mr Curtiss wanted to make the flight earlier but wasn't allowed because there was a war going on at the time. One aircraft finished the flight, I think it was NC4.

Mr Curtiss first became famous thru racing motorbikes. He built great engines at the time and then realized aviators would pay 3 to 4 times more for his engines than bikers.

The Wrights were very secretive about their doings, Curtiss was not. Curtiss first flight was in Pleasant Valley and the public was welcome. Curtiss airplanes also took off under their own power, no catapults were needed as with the Wright aircrafts.

I used to enjoy working at both the Curtiss museums but have not been there for quite some time.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #57
katy

Don't forget the Australian, Gordon Taylor, who pioneered a lot of trans oceanic flights. I may be wrong but I seen to recall that he was later knighted.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #58
Patrick L.

I should have or wished I knew of Mr Taylor especially since his first name was Patrick. He was quite a guy that died too soon.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #59
Patrick L.

I see a few posts about Piper Cubs. I learned in a metal spar J3 with an A65, later C85.
But regardless,
A friend has a J2 powered by a Continental single ignition 37 HP. Not much of a climber on a warm day. Wouldn't want to see 2 people in it.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #60
40 Deluxe

Lindberg's claim to fame (and fortune) was the prize (put up by a newspaper) for being the first to fly non-stop New York to Paris. Flying solo was his idea, it was not required for the prize.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote