Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
rusty12

Default '29 Tudor Driver's Side Door Lock Confusion?

I have never been able to get the driver's side door to lock on my 1929 Tudor. Today, I took the upholstery panel out and loosened the "slide" lock so it moves back and forth, but that didn't lock the door. Upon looking inside, I don't understand how the slide lock engages with the door latch assembly to keep it from operating (in the locked position). There is nothing that I can see that connects the sliding lock to the door latch. Do I have the wrong door latch (although it fits the door and, of course, operates well with both the outside door handle and the inside door handle)? Or am I missing something that goes from the slide lock to the door latch? I checked the parts catalogs and don't see anything listed that I don't have. Sorry for the confusing question and thanks in advance!!
rusty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: '29 Tudor Driver's Side Door Lock Confusion?

Here's my 29 Tudor latch and inside lock on the driver's door. Someone also added an inside lock to the passenger door, but I removed it. The latch sure works nice since replacing the broken springs and greasing the moving parts. You can see that moving the lock to the rear pushes a block under the outside twist handle tab, so it can't turn. In the top picture that would be the two metal blocks about an inch down and to the right of the plate marking "HAM".

To remove the latch and door handle you must remove the 4 latch plate screws and the 2 door handle screws, then turn the handle 45* and wiggle it as you pull outward. The latch plate is a very tight fit past the door skin fold, and you might want to slip a credit card over the door skin to protect the paint as you remove or install the latch plate.

In the bottom picture you can see I still haven't replaced the broken inside lift handle rod spring in the center of the rod. In the third picture down you can see the U loop on the spring that must be tucked behind the door opening as you install the latch.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Did these pictures help?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
BobbyG

as always Tom - Thank you.
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I'm bringing this back to the top for Marc. See my 4 pictures. The Coupe and Tudor are the same.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #6
gypsycandle

thanks Tom because of your good pics i have discovered that someone put the springs in the wrong place thereby causing the slide lock not to be touching anything while sliding. all fixed now..again thank you..
Michael...
gypsycandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #7
mgambuzza

I have a question relating to this. My slide door lock was frozen on the drivers side. A little PB Blast and overnight, the slider did work, but I didn't notice it locking the door. While the door was open I attempted to slide towards the back and hold, and it did lock the driver's door but as soon as I released the pressure, I rotated the outer handle, felt a little resistance, then it was unlocked. So to lock, I would have to maintain constant pressure on the slider.

Is there a detailed procedure to take the door panels off as I don't want to damage them while removing them? I also have a secondary issue where when rolling up the window it jams at the 3/4 up mark, and releases when I pull up the door latch a little. It would be good to care for those two issues, as well as lubricating (white lithium grease) the regulator mechanism.

Last edited by mgambuzza; 11-15-2020 at 05:51 PM.
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote